Need Engine Advice - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Nov 19th, 05, 07:39 AM Thread Starter

Need Engine Advice

I am new to this sight and had a few questions. I recently purchased a 1991 camaro with a 305. I would like to put something bigger in the camaro. I am trying to find what engine would best suit this car with minimal headaches and a lot of HP. What do you suggest? Also, would it be wise to just get the 305 built up or say screw it, and go big? My concern is the TBI system and computer. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Nov 19th, 05, 11:34 AM
Senior Tech
Dave

Re: Need Engine Advice

I've been building assorted Chevy engines for over 30 years (as a hobby, not professionally) and I can tell you there are almost as many answers to your question as there are different hot rodders. Everyone has their own opinion and has to be willing to live with the consequences of their decisions. I've built engines with huge cams and lots of power, only to find they are not much fun to drive around with. I've also built some smaller engines and found I just wasn't satisfied.

It's kinda like the Goldilocks and the Three Bears story, where she sleeps around until she finds the bed that is just right. It almost always involves experimentation. If you get it right on the first shot, then consider yourself VERY lucky.

My only advice is to get rid of the 305. It's almost impossible to make good power with that engine, and by the time you spend the necessary money you could have built a solid 350 or 383 screamer. Maybe throw a little laughing gas or boost at it, and you got a seriously sick performer that will scare the Hell out of your passengers and get you lots of tickets.

Good luck.................

Dave F. in Rhode Island
'68 Camaro SS Accel DFI 454 (SOLD - I'm a boring Corvette owner now)
Bought my first big-block Chevy in 1970
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Nov 19th, 05, 02:16 PM Thread Starter

Hey thanks, I was thinking of a 350 or 383 anyway. What about the computer crap that I have to deal with. If I did go with a 350 or 383, do they make some sort of chip?

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Nov 19th, 05, 02:20 PM
Senior Tech
Dave

I'm not an EFI guy. I'm an old-school carb man. Someone here can prolly answer that.....................

Dave F. in Rhode Island
'68 Camaro SS Accel DFI 454 (SOLD - I'm a boring Corvette owner now)
Bought my first big-block Chevy in 1970
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Nov 19th, 05, 03:45 PM
Senior Tech

you will definatly need a chip...i believe the ecm is the same for a 305...i can tell u that the mail order chips are worthless...you should learn how to burn them yourself to get your new motor tuned right...remember that a stronger motor will need a stronger drivetrain..ie trans and rear.....check out this website as they will have all the info u need...http://thirdgen.org/techbb2/

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode