Dz302 - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Nov 19th, 05, 02:59 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Dz302

Just a quick question has anyone built a dz302? what are the specifics on the engine? Thanks a bunch!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Nov 19th, 05, 03:32 PM

Thumbs up Re: Dz302

You mean a stock '69, Z-28 motor?

There's a bunch of info here on 302 motors so just use the search function and hunt up the posts about it! Here and in the Performance section too.

And yes, the little bugger run's quite well stock for just 302 cubes! Hop one up and hold on, once she gets, "up on the pipe" as the 2-stroke guys like ta say!!

I loved my little junk301 that I'm always mouthing off about..

pdq67

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Nov 19th, 05, 04:02 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Re: Dz302

what's the best block to start with? stuff like that... i want to build one but i have never read the parts breakdown on the 302... How much bore etc.. start with a 327?

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Nov 19th, 05, 05:25 PM

Smile Re: Dz302

There are two 302's.

I hope I have this right??

The '67 is a small journal block and the '68/'69 are both medium journal blocks.

'67 had 283/327 type domed 11 to 1 CR. forged pistons that I think(??) are press pinned.

'68/'69 had 350 domed type 11 to 1 CR. forged floating pinned.

All used the great old-fashioned 30-30 solid cam that was first used in the 365 and 375 hp/327 motors!

All had big valve double-hump heads and stock the great 300-36 Holley-like dual plane intake with, (I think?), a 780 vacuum secondary Holley 3310- type carb. (But it's own Holley PN!)..

All had standard cast-iron log exhaust manifolds.

Any 4.00" bore block will do nicely and if you can find one that has this, "010" and "010" or maybe "020" and "010" under the timing cover grab it b/c that means the block is cast out of higher alloy metal.. So is harder than normal non-alloyed blocks.

This will at least get you started.. Oh, and btw, I love these little motors!!

pdq67

PS., and even the later, rounded bottomed 283 blocks can be bored to 4.030" so don't overlook them IF you want a small journal 302 motor??

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Nov 20th, 05, 07:34 PM
Senior Tech
bruce

Re: Dz302

i have just built a dz302 for my 69 rs/z28. you can get an original block from terry rosebush motor sports in michigan. My block was bored only .030 over, the line bore was only out .002", in overall great shape. terry also has cranks and other items as well. tell him you were referrd by bruce from austin...let me know how it goes. my engine will be going in in a couple of weeks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode