OK to go .060 over on a 350 block? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 19th, 05, 09:22 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Chuck

Send a message via AIM to ChuckD Send a message via MSN to ChuckD
OK to go .060 over on a 350 block?

Hey guys/gals...I was able to score a March 69 -618 block for my 05A Z resto, but the block is at .030 already, and may need to go to .060. I am not planning on racing or nitrous, just a fun and stock DZ-spec replacement. The original "done blowed-up" 35 years ago. I know Wiseco makes a .040 and a .060 11:1 replacement piston, but is this safe to do? My educated guess is that this is OK, but not for racing, which I am not planning on. I'd like to keep the Z a 302 car, and with a date correct block, it does help the "correctness quotient." Thanks for your input. Happy Thanksgiving to all!!
Chuck D.

69 Z-28-Glacier Blue, X-77
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 20th, 05, 05:47 AM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G
Re: OK to go .060 over on a 350 block?

If you have to have a date correct block you might look at sleeving the block.

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 20th, 05, 06:12 AM
Banned

Doug
Get the cylinders sonic tested before you start as we sonic test every block that comes in the door and we find very few that will go .060 over and be safe but check into the Diamond pistons as they offer 4.045 pistons as this maybe a better deal for you.

Just my opinion

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 20th, 05, 07:31 AM

Isnt a 618 block still going to be incorrect? With that build date wouldn't you need a 010?
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 20th, 05, 07:37 AM

Question Re: OK to go .060 over on a 350 block?

Is .140" on the thrust side thick enough?

I forget?

pdq67

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 20th, 05, 08:23 AM
Banned

We try to run at least .170 on the thrust at the finish size. On blocks we check we shoot for .190 on the thrust as it can be bored to .040 over and maintain the .170 that we go by.

On a stock application you might get away with .140 but a few years ago a block cam inthe shop with a cracked cylinder and check the thickness and found it to be only .135 and this engine was only about 475 horse.

When cylinders get that thin it hard for the rings to seal as the cylinders are flexing.

Just my opinion
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 20th, 05, 09:39 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Chuck is correct on this one. It all depends on the block you are building.

Team Camaro Gold Member #14

1967 Camaro RS/z28 - one of 602 made - SOLD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 Camaro RS/SS L48 4 speed
1974 Camaro LT-Z/28 4 speed 33K orig miles
1979 Camaro Z/28 36K orig miles
1987 Monte Carlo SS 25K orig mi bought new by me.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 20th, 05, 12:59 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Chuck

Send a message via AIM to ChuckD Send a message via MSN to ChuckD
Smile Re: OK to go .060 over on a 350 block?

Thanks Jonesy....McNeish's book shows the -618 block until late April, then -010 late April/early May. My original POP date is 4/17, so I can go either way, most likely. Anyway, it sounds like the .060 is not out of the question as long as the block has anough iron. I'll either get that checked, or go .045 and sleeve, or both. Looking for these old date correct blocks is a pain...tough to find one not already bored to useless dimensions. As I go, I will post my progress. Thanks to all.
Chuck D.

69 Z-28-Glacier Blue, X-77
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 05, 11:53 AM
Senior Tech
Dr. Feelgood

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckD
Thanks Jonesy....McNeish's book shows the -618 block until late April, then -010 late April/early May. My original POP date is 4/17, so I can go either way, most likely. Anyway, it sounds like the .060 is not out of the question as long as the block has anough iron. I'll either get that checked, or go .045 and sleeve, or both. Looking for these old date correct blocks is a pain...tough to find one not already bored to useless dimensions. As I go, I will post my progress. Thanks to all.
Chuck D.
Chuck,

I just took the "618" block (not matching-numbers) out of my '69 Z because I broke a cam (and a rod... ) and I recently ordered a 550hp/383 stroker as a replacement.I stayed true to the sporting-ness of the car and had them built it 11 to 1 with all the best forged goodies inside.I found that my block already was sleeved in the number 1 cylinder and I too will probably re-build it as a stock 302 just to have it at the ready. I doubt it'll ever install it though after wailing away at this 383.

I know these are getting difficult to find...in usable condition anyway.

John

'67 Buick Skylark F/C "Ingenue" 8/10 HRM feature / 2/12 Gasoline (Swedish) feature
World's only Buick-powered Buick Funny Car!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode