Please help me!!!!!!! : ( - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 23rd, 05, 06:55 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy Please help me!!!!!!! : (

I have a beautiful 1995 Camaro Z-28. It has 166,000 miles on it. My problem is that I blew a head gasket and with the high mileage, I know that I need to change the bottom end as well as the top end. If I'm going to do all of this, I figured that I will buy an LT-1 block from a junk yard here who deals in mostly Camaro's and have it transformed into a 383 crate. I would like to get as much horsepower as I can from this since the transmission I have is a high performance tranny. I'm thinking about 550 horsepower if not more without having to install a supercharger or nitrous. Is there anyone who has done a mod like this to explain to me in as much detail as possible what I would need to do in order to accomplish this. Would LT-4 heads help? What type of cam shaft should I get? What's the best type of pistons and connecting rods should I get? Is that LT-4 package that I had seen in the Summit Racing Catalog a good buy? How about timing chains?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 23rd, 05, 08:00 PM
Senior Tech

Send a message via AIM to 1FASTZ Send a message via Yahoo to 1FASTZ
Re: Please help me!!!!!!! : (

What's your intended usage of the car? If you're looking for a naturally aspirated 550 hp 383 daily driver, she's not going to be too street friendly. You're gonna need more cubic inches to tame it down a bit yet still get good streetable 550 hp. Right guys???

Marty Lake
1969 Z/28 fathom green X77
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 23rd, 05, 09:31 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

right.
How 'bout a stout LT1 based 383... pump gas, computer, and efi friendly, 400-425 HP, with a 150 shot for when you need a good rush?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 25th, 05, 08:44 AM
Senior Tech
Greg

To get 550 HP N/A you will be on the ragged edge of every spec. You'll need as much compression as you can possibly get and still use pump gas. You will probably need a solid roller cam but you might be able to get there with a hydraulic roller. Also, you will need the best aftermarket heads you can get....GM stuff won't get it.

Are you sure you really need that much HP? 450-500 will be pretty easy in comparison. JMHO

69 Camaro, 3650lbs., 400ci, TH400, Coan 10" converter, 3.50 gear
D1SC, pump gas, street car, Water/Meth injection
1.302 60', 5.956 @ 116.4 Super Sniper EFI 2019
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 25th, 05, 09:00 AM

I had a 97 T/A with lots of mods and let me tell you, its going to be almost impossible to get 550hp on pump gas. I have to agree with the other members. Build a 383 with a good bottom end (H-beam rods, forged pistons, steel crank and lots of ARP bolts) and try to keep the car streetable. Then add the 150hp shot of NOS. I had a stock 98 LS-1 Vette with pulleys, exhaust and 150hp shot and the car run mid 11's on the NOS. Its was loads of fun and you could still drive it any place in the US. Just my 2 cents.

Kevin
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 05, 04:45 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for your input Kevin. I found out that my LT-1 blew a head gasket. It still runs but I have problems starting it. I have 169,000 miles on the engine and I know that if I build the top end, I might as well build the bottom end as well. I know a wrecking yard nearby that will sell me an LT-1 block for $450.00. Since I go there quite abit and know the guys, I can probably get it for about $400.00 cash. When I do get the block, I intend on boring it out to a 383 and have it blue printed. You mentioned to me about H-beam rods,forged pistons, steel crank and lots of ARP bolts. I was wondering about the heads as well. Do you have any suggestions on what would be the best type of heads to install? And also timing chain and cam. What are your suggestions on that? I was thinking about going with that LT-4 package from Summit Racing but a buddy of mine told me to go with Edlebrock heads which are less expensive than the LT-4 heads and will probably give me alittle more HP to boot. I do want to keep the car streetable so whatever you can suggest will help.

Alex
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 05, 04:57 PM

Question Re: Please help me!!!!!!! : (

Guy's, can he install an older Lt-1 block in that new a car and still be legal?? Fed. and smog-wise??

I don't know when the LS's started??

I ask b/c I think the LAW reads that you can't put an older motor that wasn't available stock in the newer car.

Plus, if you do install an older stock-type motor, you have to use the body's smog equipment on the older motor to be legal..

I guess what I am trying to say is that I don't think he can legally install an old L-48 type motor in a vehicle that ONLY came with an LS-type motor in it...

pdq67

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 05, 06:59 PM
Senior Tech
Lee

PDQ, I think he wants to rebuild his GEN II LT1 engine. All things are possible, but legally (depending on the state) you can't stick in an older engine in a new car and meet emissions, unless of course you hang all the emissions gear for that vehicle. It would be a major PITA to stick a '70's LT-1 block in a '95 Camaro.

Are you talking 550hp at the flywheel or rearwheel? Makes a big difference. I think you can do it, but it won't be cheap because you will need to reprogram your computer and get bigger injectors, throttle body etc. With computer controlled engines it is easier to run a HP engine on the street than with a carb engine.

NOS is the cheap and easy way to do it, but putting some kind of forced induction on it (supercharger or turbo) will work as well. Go over to LS1Tech.com they can help you out with a combo for the LT1, all though they do concentrate on the GEN III and later engines. Alot of those folks started on LT1's before they went to the LS style engines.

As far as heads go, look at AFRs. If you don't want to go the junk yard/machine shop route, Golen Engine service makes a HP LT1 engine that should do what you are looking for. Remember you aren't just modding the engine, you have to mod everything else (intake,injectors, exhaust) and get a good tune on the computer which can get expensive.

If you want that much power, is your transmission and rear going to hold it?
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 05, 07:24 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Turd Fergeson

+1 on the AFR heads, they are amazing pieces. But they are still made on a 5axis CNC and can benefit from hand massaging for maximum performance.

I would stay away from the H beam rods and just get a good set of I-beam rods from Manley. They'll weigh less and are just as reliable these days. I agree that forged pistons, premium fasteners and a good crank are a must.

If you want to build something as radical as you are saying, be prepared to build a 396 stroker. Have the heads sent to GTP in Houston and go with Craig's recommendation for a cam once the heads are completed.

You'll need to run tubular exhaust headers, high flow cats and cat-back.

You will then need to upgrade injectors, fuel pump, and retune the beast with LT1 edit. After that, you will have a 550 HP monster that ought to put about 475 of it to the ground. You will also have relieved your wallet of close to $10K

Good Luck!!

1968 British Racing Green Crossram Camaro Z/28
Double Trouble

2016 Black Corvette Z06/Z07
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 05, 09:36 PM Thread Starter

My transmission will definitely hold it. I just had installed a Dr. Evil 4L65OD transmission that was totally rebuilt by Art Carr. Custom converter the whole 9 yards. Art Carr says the transmission will take up to 800 HP easy. So as far as the tranny holding up, I'm 100% sure it will. As for the rear end, it's stock.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 05, 09:42 PM Thread Starter

That 10K out of my wallet sounds about right. Superior Automotive in Anaheim, CA. told me that it will cost me about that much for them to do the whole thing for me. But, since I don't have that kind of money right off hand, I'm going to do most of the work myself and then perhaps let Superior do the rest like installing the engine for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode