Throttle Rod Position - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old Nov 24th, 05, 11:10 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Matt

Throttle Rod Position

1) What is the correct position of the throttle rod swivel? I noticed after having some work done on my car that they removed/replaced the throttle rod, first in the wrong position and later what I think is correct. When I drove out of the shop, my top speed when floored was 20mph - later realized they attached the rod in the wrong location. I also believe they adjusted the swivel while messing with it. Seems like when the accelerator is "floored" I don't get the accelaration I used to.

2) What is the effect of the accelerator return spring being stretched out - below is a pic of mine:

The pictures above are with the accelerator pedal in the normal position.

Matt
1968 RS Convertible, 327/275HP, Rochester 4bbl, PG Trany, non-a/c

"Don't mistake kindness for weakness."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old Nov 24th, 05, 11:45 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Re: Throttle Rod Position

Are you sure the lever arm was removed? It's a bear to get to with the motor in. Someone correct me if needed, but I think it is keyed and will only go on in the right position. When you floor the gas, the lever arm should nearly hit the firewall.
The stretched out return spring in the foreground is attached to the kickdown linkage for the t350 trans. It does look yucky. Been many years since I had a t350 and the kickdown wasn't attached on that one, so I'll leave it alone.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old Nov 24th, 05, 11:59 AM
Bill

Matt,
It's easy enough to figure out. Take the pin out that holds it at the carb, have someone press the throttle pedal all the way to the floor, take the rod out of the carb and see if you can move the carb more. If you can, is not in the right place. It might have to go in one of the other holes. Take a minute and try moving it around and see what happens. Its a very simple mechanical system.

Bill Koustenis
Owner
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md
1971 Chevelle "Heavy Chevy" original owner

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old Nov 24th, 05, 12:00 PM
Senior Tech
John

They may have put the rod on backwards. The threaded end should be at the carb. The way it is, it's very possible that the rod is hitting the firewall before WOT is achieved.

John
'67 SS/RS (RR)
'68 RS conv. (J2)
'68 Z/28 (VV)
'68 Drag Car(ZZ) 11.30 @ 118
'73 Corvette Drag Car 12.64 @ 106

post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old Nov 24th, 05, 01:31 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyvox
They may have put the rod on backwards. The threaded end should be at the carb. The way it is, it's very possible that the rod is hitting the firewall before WOT is achieved.
Exactly my thought on this one... Matt reverse the rod and follow Bill's advice to check it for full throttle...

...Dennis

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old Nov 24th, 05, 03:32 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Matt

The lever arm was not removed, but the pin and rod removed then replaced in the hole location at the 2 o'clock position. Once it was placed into the 10 o'clock position (as shown) acceleration was MUCH better.

Quote:
The stretched out return spring in the foreground is attached to the kickdown linkage for the t350 trans.
That's funny, I don't have a T350 trans, but a PG - does that make a difference?

I'll try reversing the rod and checking for full throttle over the next couple days.

Matt

post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old Nov 24th, 05, 08:12 PM
Senior Tech
Bob

Your rod should still be reversed. Put the threaded end at the cab, as stated, not at the firewall.

Bob
Garnet Red 69/SS396/TH400/355 Posi Sold
'02 triple blk Vette Vert. now
94 HD Dyna Wideglide
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old Nov 25th, 05, 07:52 AM
Kevin

Your PG rod setup looks normal, just the trans Kickdown spring did get stretched at one point, not the accel spring. It only keeps the kickdown rod tight against the ball thing on the carb.

I concur with the others on the accel rod. Thread end of rod goes on the carb side. If it didn't the rod end would hit the firewall before accell arm full motion (floored) was reached.

Here is my setup

Come to think of it, I need to move the carb side of rod to one of the upper holes to get more arc!

Kevin

post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old Nov 25th, 05, 03:47 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Matt

OK, turned the throttle rod around so the threaded end is at the carb. I adjusted the swivel and adjusted as Bill suggested until the carb was open as far as possible with the pedal at the floor. However, when I started her up the idle speed was way too high. Adjusted the swivel back to the original location but no change in idle speed, even took the rod off completely but still idling way too high

Not sure what to do - only thing I adjusted was the swivel and turned the rod around.

On a side note: The 1968 Chevrolet Chasis Service Manual shows conflicting diagrams - Fig 8C (6M-6) shows the swivel at the carb for a Camaro 327 cu.in, then figure 11C (6M-9, V-8 Engine except 396 & 427) shows it on the opposite side.

Matt

post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old Nov 25th, 05, 07:42 PM
Senior Tech

After you turned it around-threads by carb-did you try adjusting the idle with the screw on the linkage? Also, if I remember right, the swivel part that goes into the linkage works better going in one side of the hole rather than the other side. Now I bet I screwed you up...I will go look. On mine, the rod part of the swivel points to the carb. And it is cold out there.
My linkage hooks to my carb opposite of the way yours is.

Last edited by deerhunter; Nov 25th, 05 at 07:45 PM. Reason: Picture number 2
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old Nov 25th, 05, 08:36 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Matt

Quote:
After you turned it around-threads by carb-did you try adjusting the idle with the screw on the linkage?
I think you are asking if I tried adjusting the idle by moving the swivel on the linkage? I did, so that when acc. pedal is to the floor it would open up the carb more, however the idle was way too high, so I changed it back. When I changed it back the idle speed remained too high - no clue why. I even disconnected the linkage at the carburetor and the idle is still too high. Have not made any adjustments to any of the idle screws...before or after.

Quote:
My linkage hooks to my carb opposite of the way yours is.
I noticed that too (from diagrams) but if I try to hook it up on the other side the swivel hits the bracket shown in my first pic (where the swivel is mounted incorrectly).

Through this whole process I noticed that the acc. arm hits the rod passing through the bracket as well...so my acc. pedal doesn't come back as far as it should - but it was always like that before any of the discussed idling issues. Should the acc. arm be that close to the bracket/manifold?

Matt

Last edited by mattalin; Nov 26th, 05 at 09:43 AM.
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old Nov 25th, 05, 08:37 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Matt

Sorry, posted twice.

Matt

post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old Nov 26th, 05, 10:03 AM
Senior Tech

Actually, I was wondering if you tried to adjust the idle using the idle adjustment screw. As far as the throttle rod, did you turn both ends to point toward the center of the block? If not, you might try that and then adjust the screw end for wide open throttle. If you get the high idle again, check all of the linkage to see if it is binding or hanging up on something. If everything is free, then you might have to start the tune up process. Try the idle adjustment screws on the front of the carb at a starting point of 1 1/2 turns out for each one. Also, check the timing. I just reread your post to help me recall what has been done. The idle adjustment screw should be between the threaded swivel part and the carb body. If it was idleing to high with the rod removed then someone has changed the idle screw and/or the idle mixture screws. I think you need to get the rod in right like the way that has been suggested and go to the idle adjustment screw to set it.
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old Nov 26th, 05, 01:26 PM
Senior Tech
John

Since you're starting the engine cold, the choke could be closed, and the carb linkage is on the fast idle cam. How many RPM are we talking about at idle? (1000?, 2000?, 3000?)

John
'67 SS/RS (RR)
'68 RS conv. (J2)
'68 Z/28 (VV)
'68 Drag Car(ZZ) 11.30 @ 118
'73 Corvette Drag Car 12.64 @ 106

post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old Nov 26th, 05, 08:38 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Matt

Don't know precisely, but I'd estimate at least 2000 RPM at idle.

Matt

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode