~9:1 compression
272 Crane Cam
650 CFM Double Pump Holley
Performer RPM Manifold
Roller Rockers

DRIVETRAIN:
M22
12-bolt 3.73 Posi

When I built the motor in '94 I had to worry about CA SMOG requirements. Now I no longer need to worry. I was thinking about CAM and HEADS, where should I go from here? I remember 9:1 compression, but don't remember which pistons I put in the motor. Allthough 10 years old, the shortblock only has about 15k on it.

Suggestions appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 28th, 05, 09:15 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Re: What Next?

you got it, cam and heads, 'specially heads.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 29th, 05, 02:18 AM

http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_...age_main.shtml

POWER PACKAGE

The Edelbrock Total Power PackageŽ System...
Proven Performance With No Guesswork
To get great performance out of any engine, the components must work together. Since the early 1980s, the Edelbrock Total Power Package System has solved the parts matching puzzle for many street performance enthusiasts. Intake manifolds, camshaft kits, cylinder heads and carburetors are the core of the Power Package. In 2005, Edelbrock is adding even more choices in components to get even greater performance gains out of an engine. The original "no guesswork" package now includes more manifolds, more cam kits and more cylinder heads. Street legal Power Packages are possible with the emission legal square-bore carbs. Our street legal Tubular Exhaust System headers (TES) or Shorty Headers, SDT Series Mufflers and Cat-Back Systems complete the Edelbrock Total Power Package in late-model, emission-equipped vehicles.

In order to view the "Power Package Concept" you will need Acrobat ReaderŽ. If you do not have this installed you can download it here (right).
This Power Package Concept are in PDF format in order to allow for the best possible viewing due to the layout and complexities of this particular section.

Power Package Concept (225k)
Performer Power Packages - Idle to 5500 RPM (221k)
Performer RPM Power Package - 1500-6500 RPM (600k)

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 05, 09:50 AM

Ditch those heads quick! The 882's are crack prone, and flow pretty poorly. A good budget way to bump up the power would be to throw on a set of GM Vortec heads. The only downfall is that you'll need to get a new intake that is compatible with the Vortec heads. You'll also need centerbolt valvecovers. But for the price of the heads, you can't beat 'em. Plus, you can always recoup your costs of the new stuff by throwing your old heads and intake on eBay...
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 05, 12:26 PM
Senior Tech
Mark

Depends on what your trying to do with it.. Make gobs of power?? Ditch the whole motor and stuff in a big block. But otherwise, yes, start with the heads and cam.. blower??? maybe ???

Mark
Long Gone: 1984 Z28, 1989 RS
Current : 1967 Coupe w/350, 2010 2SS

My Photobucket >>
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 05, 12:51 PM Thread Starter
Team Member
Steve

Garage

Any other recommendations on heads/cam? I'm not thinking BB for this car and pref. naturally aspirated. Would like to keep very streetable maybe get this thing towards 400HP.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 05, 01:10 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Any number of aftermarket heads will get you there, or close.
Before you buy any, you need to verify your pistons... so you know where the CR will fall. If you have flat tops, a 64cc head will put you close to 10:1, right where you need to be for pump gas.
Dart iron Eagles are great at a great price. If you want alluminum there's lots of choices, edelbrock, AFR, brodix to just name a couple.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 05, 01:23 PM

Ditto on heads & cam. If it were me, I would try to get better heads first and then see how your combo runs with the cam you already have. Just my .02
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 05, 02:56 PM Thread Starter
Team Member
Steve

Garage

Short of tearing apart the motor, is there any way I can evaluate the pistons? Measure current compression?? Just wondering...
thanks.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 05, 03:42 PM
Senior Tech
Mark

Any way you can remeber what pistons you put into it. Ive got the same heads on my camaro. Ive got the cc's written down somewhere on them.. Otherwise your going to have to take the heads off to determine I think.. I dont think a compression test would be accurate to "guess"..

Mark
Long Gone: 1984 Z28, 1989 RS
Current : 1967 Coupe w/350, 2010 2SS

My Photobucket >>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode