Well I screwed up a little..... - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 3rd, 05, 05:13 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Eric

Well I screwed up a little.....

The other day I had an interesting "play time" with my Camaro. Just to note, I have had it about a month and I only know what I can see from the outside, about the moter. I Adjusted all the rockers (found out I have a solid cam!). I set them a .025 because I have no clue what cam I have....and I reset the idle mixtre and droped the primary float back down to the middle of the site glass and went to reset the idle speed. Well I have a Speed demon carb and got the idle mixture to what I think is about perfect, but when I went to set the idle speed I was just haveing a real hard time setting it and not loesing the mix. I got it to run at about 1000 rpm (idled before at 800). Then I decided to look on Spdded demons website and figured out I have an idol ease base....Its a 650 mechanical secondary. I belive that moveing the butterfly stop screws, I have lost the setting on the transfer slots, which may or may not be alowing the carb to get out of the idle circut. My question, Is ther any way to rest the butterflys with out pulling the carb, or do I have to? I will say that between the rocker adjustment and leaning it out, the off idle responce is way better and seat of pants dyno I really picked up alot of power from 1500 rpm ALL the way to 6500 (it still pulls like hell but not knowing what I have yet, I dont want to push my luck going any higher).

Thanks for all your help so far
EMC<----------Hopeing someone out there can save me a few hours!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 3rd, 05, 11:26 PM

Re: Well I screwed up a little.....

Hah hah, I'll bet you're wondering why nobody has replied yet. You just had to ask a carb question, didn't you? If you don't find an answer here, head over to corvetteforum.com. There's a lot of sharp carb guys over there. Sorry I can't help ya bud!

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 05, 07:34 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Eric

Thanks, great info. Not what I wanted to hear, but really good info....looks like I am going to smell like gas again today...
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 05, 08:05 AM
Senior Tech
Bob

I don't know if the Demon base is like a Holley but if it is you can put the butterfly screws in from the top and then you don't have to pull the carb to adjust them any more. They are still a pain to get at but you can get to them from the top. I did it on my Holley 850 dp.

Bob
Garnet Red 69/SS396/TH400/355 Posi Sold
'02 triple blk Vette Vert. now
94 HD Dyna Wideglide
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 9th, 05, 12:42 PM
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by EC's 327
The other day I had an interesting "play time" with my Camaro. Just to note, I have had it about a month and I only know what I can see from the outside, about the moter. I Adjusted all the rockers (found out I have a solid cam!). I set them a .025 because I have no clue what cam I have....and I reset the idle mixtre and droped the primary float back down to the middle of the site glass and went to reset the idle speed. Well I have a Speed demon carb and got the idle mixture to what I think is about perfect, but when I went to set the idle speed I was just haveing a real hard time setting it and not loesing the mix. I got it to run at about 1000 rpm (idled before at 800). Then I decided to look on Spdded demons website and figured out I have an idol ease base....Its a 650 mechanical secondary. I belive that moveing the butterfly stop screws, I have lost the setting on the transfer slots, which may or may not be alowing the carb to get out of the idle circut. My question, Is ther any way to rest the butterflys with out pulling the carb, or do I have to? I will say that between the rocker adjustment and leaning it out, the off idle responce is way better and seat of pants dyno I really picked up alot of power from 1500 rpm ALL the way to 6500 (it still pulls like hell but not knowing what I have yet, I dont want to push my luck going any higher).

Thanks for all your help so far
EMC<----------Hopeing someone out there can save me a few hours!)

With any carburetor your best bet is to start out with the transfer slots set where you want them, and then make a notation of where you adjust your speed screws from there in or out. Also you may need to double check your initial timing. If its too low it can cause a similar situation.

Technical Support At Barry Grant, Inc.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

BG Fuel Systems, Demon carburetors, Nitrous Works, & Rush Filters
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 10th, 05, 07:08 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Eric

I am at 10 degrees BTDC at idle....30 total at 2500 rpm....vacume advance Mallory Unilite electonic distributer....

Thanks.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 10th, 05, 07:36 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

If it idled OK at 800 before you starting tweaking, the first thing I'd do is go back thru everything you touched. I'd even recheck the valve adjustments. You are sure this is a solid cam, right? Where was the timing before you started?
On a leaned on motor, timing at idle can have a huge effect on all this. 10 degrees is not much, and looking at your total # makes me think the car was dailed in with more. Going to 16 degrees initial and vacaum on full manifold will pick up your idle speed considerably, and allow you to close that primary idle stop a bunch.
There is no way I'd pull the carb and start tweaking on something new at this point.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 10th, 05, 07:45 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Eric

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM
If it idled OK at 800 before you starting tweaking, the first thing I'd do is go back thru everything you touched. I'd even recheck the valve adjustments. You are sure this is a solid cam, right? Where was the timing before you started?
On a leaned on motor, timing at idle can have a huge effect on all this. 10 degrees is not much, and looking at your total # makes me think the car was dailed in with more. Going to 16 degrees initial and vacaum on full manifold will pick up your idle speed considerably, and allow you to close that primary idle stop a bunch.
There is no way I'd pull the carb and start tweaking on something new at this point.

At 800 it really did not idle very well at all. It stayed running but loaded up alot. and had a TERRIBLE bog. Bog is gone and plugs look much better...

So you think the next step is to reset the timeing then adjust the carb again? I now have a vacume gauge...I have yet to use it. We got a little snow and its been "kinda" cold since I picked it up....
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 10th, 05, 08:13 AM
Senior Tech

If you have a decent size solid cam it's going to want more than 10 degrees at idle. Try upping it to 15 or 16. That should help you idle, throttle response a bunch.

Technical Support At Barry Grant, Inc.

BG Fuel Systems, Demon carburetors, Nitrous Works, & Rush Filters
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 10th, 05, 03:34 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech @ BG
If you have a decent size solid cam it's going to want more than 10 degrees at idle. Try upping it to 15 or 16. That should help you idle, throttle response a bunch.
Totally agree
My basic guidlines for initial advance is "if it pings at part throttle it's too much" and "if it won't crank hot, it's too much" and sometimes the first one can be worked out playing with the advance curve and power valve.
Use that vacaum guage. Duct tape it to your windshield and go for a drive, they are fun to watch.
Since my gen light still works, I'm seriously considering replacing my voltmeter with a permanent vac guage.... but afraid if I'm watching the console all the time I might run off the road!

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 18th, 05, 11:19 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Eric

I have it idleing at 950 rpm, with 9" vacume, any lower and it just loads up. I switched the vacume line from the distributer to the non ported and it seemed to help a little, I have to get a timeing light to adjust the timeing, but the vacume guage really helped me improve it for now....

Thanks all...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode