How hard to swap SBC 400 into 71 firebird? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 05, 03:38 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Don

Question How hard to swap SBC 400 into 71 firebird?

Guys,
My sister has a 71 firebird that used to be my mom's. My dad and I would like to put the 406 out of my camaro into the car. I know some offset motor mounts would be required but would there be any custom fabrication work or is it all bolt-on?
The car originally came with a 400 pontiac and a TH400...we bought a new TH400 but it's out of another firebird. Are the bellhousing's the same? The pulley setup, will it bolt on or...?
The only problems I can think of are the motor mounts, bellhousing and possibly the pulley's...
Thanks so much for any help,
Donnie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 05, 05:17 PM
Senior Tech
Tom

Talking Re: How hard to swap SBC 400 into 71 firebird?

I'm not an expert on the swap, but some things I can think of: You are swapping from a Pontiac Motor to a Chevrolet... Correct ?
1) Pontiac's and Chevrolet's have a different bolt pattern for the transmission. I don't think the one you have will work.
2) The fuel pumps are on opposite sides... you will need to run a new gas line.
3) you will need your accessory brackets from a Chevy.
4) I'm not sure if the exhaust will line up or not.
The swap can be done, but I would research it first.
Good Luck!

69 Camaro -originally a LM1 car. 327, Edelbrock E-streets, hooker, DUI performance distributors, ultradyne cam, stewart, TRW etc. Vintage Air, AGR steering, Corbeau GTSII seats, 700R4 transmission, 12-bolt w/Eaton 4.11:1
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 05, 05:25 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Re: How hard to swap SBC 400 into 71 firebird?

the swap will work fine. The items noted above will need to be changed.
Use the parts that put the same engine in the same chassis, ie: camaro stuff.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 05, 05:28 PM
Senior Tech
Chad

Your transmission may work.Some have the BOP and chevy bolt patterns.

67 Plum Mist Met. 408 TH350 3.08 posi

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 05, 09:53 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Don

Thumbs up Thanks!

Guys,
I have a complete 406 with everything...all the pulley's, power steering pump, fuel pump...
Will the motor mounts bolt right onto the frame or is there some offset ones we can buy?
Other than that, just the tranny bolting up should be the only problem right? Is there any bellhousing adapter plates or anything?
If not, I have a TH350 that's a chevy bolt pattern but it was with a floor shifter in my 68 camaro...will it bolt right in with the 406 into the firebird and connect to the column shift linkage?
Thanks so much,
Donnie
P.S> Sorry to ask a pontiac question...lol
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 5th, 05, 07:30 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Re: Thanks!

You need standard chevy motor mounts. If you'll use an HEI, 327-307 frame stands for a 67-69 Camaro will give extra clearance as compared to 350 frame stands, but may give a problem with the 400's 8" balancer (anyone confirm?)
A short tailshaft chevy pattern T350 will work great.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 5th, 05, 09:55 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Don

Thumbs up Re: How hard to swap SBC 400 into 71 firebird?

Jim,
Sweet! Thanks so much man!
Donnie
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 6th, 05, 12:24 AM
Senior Tech
Keith

Only the later model TH350M's and the 200-4r has bot bell housing patterns If you put the th350 in, you'll need a longer drive shaft and have to change the yoke to the th350 style.You'll have to find a th350 or 4 speed crossmember as well. You'll have to change the fuel lines like stated. You'll also have to change the wiring as the starter is on the other side of the engine as well.The length of the clutch fan and the radiator shroud are different also, the Pontiac engine is longer than a Chevy. If using manifolds the exhaust will need to be changed at the head pipes, if headers you may be able to make it work.All the holes for the engine mounts should already be in the subframe and the mounts should bolt right on.You;ll have to use all the pulleys and accessories from the Chevy engine. Just curious, why change? Is the Pontiac engine blown up?
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 05, 05:53 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Don

Smile Re: How hard to swap SBC 400 into 71 firebird?

69X11-
We're changing it because her engine is the original one and it needs rebuilding and my 406 only has about 5000 miles on it and I'm building a twin-turbo 377 right now so I'm just going to sell it to her for cheap and my dad and I will put it in just to save her some money basically.
Thanks for all the help everyone,
Donnie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode