Oil Leak (again) - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old Dec 5th, 05, 06:18 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Robert

Oil Leak (again)

Well Iíve been fooled with the old whereís the oil leak coming from. Iím going to include some history for the sake of future searches. I had a local shop rebuild the short block on my í69 about 2 years ago, I did the rest. Shortly after running it awhile I noticed I had a serious oil leak and traced it down to the rear seal or pan gasket. I pulled the pan with engine in the car and found that the rear seal had been installed with one half facing correctly towards the front and the other half facing towards the rear. Well thereís the oil leak. That fixed the leak for a long time and all was well. Well the leak came back recently and I figured it was the pan gasket as you know itís not all that easy replacing the oil pan with the engine in the car and I figured my handy work had just finally went bad. So I buy a new oil pan thinking the old one might be a little tweaked along with the $40 Felpro one piece gasket and a new $25 super deluxe Felpro rear seal. Now with about 40 miles on the second repair the leak is back with the annoying drip about the size of a quarter on the floor. Iím guessing with the cleanup I did it took sometime for the oil to find itís way to the floor.

Okay now I am looking all over the place and as hard as it is to see it appears that the rear cam plug may be leaking. I can see something wet there for sure and I guess it could even be coming from a galley plug. Would the engine shop have pulled any of these plugs? I had new cam bearings installed. If that is the problem can I fix it with the trans out and engine in car?

Thanks

Robert

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
355ci 10:1, 64cc Edelbrocks, Comp Mag 280H, Performer RPM, 700r4 (2000 stall), 3.55 posi A/C PS PDB Hotchkis

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
369ci 10.3:1, 64cc Edelbrocks, Voodoo 276/284, Performer RPM, Holley 650DP ...T56 Magnum, 3.73 Moser 12 bolt
TC member #18

Last edited by rojo; Dec 5th, 05 at 08:31 PM. Reason: typo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old Dec 5th, 05, 06:24 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Re: Oil Leak (again)

yikes... I'll throw you this: a leaky main seal or oil pan leaking onto the flywheel can throw a lot of oil around. It wouldn't surprise me if some settled in the cam plug.
If the shop put in new can bearings, they had to remove the rear cam plug.
A proper block cleaning would always include removing all the oil gallery plugs, and brushing and solvent flushing the oil gallery's.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old Dec 5th, 05, 06:29 PM
Senior Tech
Don

Get some of the dye that you can see under a blacklight and eliminate the guess work. It sounds like you've been through enough stress.

Don ~ TC Member #15 ~

Don't mess with Texas!

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old Dec 5th, 05, 07:41 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Robert

I have used the dye and blacklight only to determine that it looked like the culprit was the seal or pan gasket. It worked well to determine that the leak was not coming from up top. No doubt the oil gets swirled around by the flex plate as it has also made its way over to the bottom of the starter. I'll do another clean up and add dye again and concentrate on the cam and galley plugs. I guess I'll just have to watch for it before it gets to the crank area.

Robert

355ci 10:1, 64cc Edelbrocks, Comp Mag 280H, Performer RPM, 700r4 (2000 stall), 3.55 posi A/C PS PDB Hotchkis

369ci 10.3:1, 64cc Edelbrocks, Voodoo 276/284, Performer RPM, Holley 650DP ...T56 Magnum, 3.73 Moser 12 bolt
TC member #18
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old Dec 5th, 05, 08:02 PM
Senior Tech
Don

Yeah, just one test drive should be enough.

I missed your earlier posts.

Don ~ TC Member #15 ~

Don't mess with Texas!
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old Dec 5th, 05, 08:53 PM
Senior Tech
Bob

Try new valve cover gaskets. I had a leak that I swear was the rear main seal. Traced it down to leaky valve cover gasket.

Bob
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old Dec 5th, 05, 09:00 PM
Senior Tech
Wes

What pan do you have?

I once purchased a Moroso pan for a BB,..part number 20451,..it had an incorrect radius at the back and wouldn't seal, even with the $40 one-piece blue pan gasket. BTW, though we're not to slam manufacturers, I will say that I was extremely disappointed with Moroso's non-existent customer service and would suggest Milodon instead...if not GM.

And yes, oil that hits the flywheel will sling everywhere.

Is there oil weeping from the boot on your clutch fork?

Oh well, I went back to a GM pan (which required a new pump and pick-up since the old ones were welded together), the blue one-piece gasket, some RTV in the corners, and no leaks. This after two engine pulls to ID the problem.

Good luck!
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old Dec 6th, 05, 04:36 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rojo
I'll do another clean up and add dye again and concentrate on the cam and galley plugs. I guess I'll just have to watch for it before it gets to the crank area.
Good choice. Go for a nice 25-30 mile drive and check.

Is the PCV system working? If the crankcase is building pressure and three's no relief, this event could be helping to shove oil out from the crankcase.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden Ö enjoy your next chapter.
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old Dec 6th, 05, 06:08 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Robert

There is no oil up top so I think the valve cover gaskets are okay.

The oil pan is a Milodon and it "appears" to be sealing as I've been looking around at it with one of those little round magnifying mirrors on a telescoping rod. The trans is an auto so with the cover off there's a little more room to look around.

The PCV is hooked up and should be working but I'll admit I haven't actually double checked it. I'll check it and proceed with the dye.

Thanks guys.

Robert

TC member #18
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old Dec 6th, 05, 11:08 AM
Senior Tech
Al

Robert -

I don't know if this is the answer to your problem or not, but...

Last summer I pulled my motor to repair a pesky oil leak. I was certain it was coming from either the rear of the pan gasket or from the rear main seal. I replaced both and was extra dilligent in reassembly. All appeared well...for about 2 days. Then the leak was back.

To make a long, frustrating story short(er), the leak was coming from the passenger side rear of the intake manifold in the corner. I thought for sure I had used enough RTV, but I hadn't. (TWICE!!) I was surprised how much sealant I needed in that corner to prevent a leak, and I was also surprised how much oil leaked out of there.

Worth checking out.

post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old Dec 6th, 05, 12:36 PM
Senior Tech

I feel company in misery here as I will be pulling my engine for the 4th time this winter to address the fateful SBC rear main/ pan gasket leak.

I have gone through 5 one-piece pan gaskets, 2 different oil pans, 2 sets of rear main seals. I have tried the dye, I have tried providing additional crankcase ventilation and I still have a leak.

This is definitely a SBC (w/ 2 piece seal) flaw. I made a list of possible sources/ causes and I will address every one on the list (ie, replacing plug in block under passenger side head to see if that is it), reassemble and cross my fingers.

1973 RS Z28: 401ci Dart Little M, Littlefield 6-71 supercharger @14lbs boost, Callies Magnum crank, Lunati rods, JE pistons, 7.8:1, AFR 227 Comp heads, T&D 1.6 shaft rockers. Reed solid FT cam (240/[email protected]/.542 lift-112 LSA), QFT 750 carbs
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old Dec 6th, 05, 03:29 PM
Senior Tech
Dave

Oh yeah, this topic hits a tender spot with me also. It's a little tricky to build a leak-free engine.

One thing I see that happens all the times is people (yeah, I did this) don't put the rear main seal halves in correctly. It's very easy to just grab the seal half and push it into the half-circle in the block, but when you do that you will usually shear off a small piece of the inside sealing edge of the seal. There is a small odd-shaped piece of plastic included with every rear main seal and it needs to be used to protect the sealing edge of the seal. If you don't use that little tool, you'll be pretty much guaranteed to get a rear main leak.

Dave F. in Rhode Island
'68 Camaro SS Accel DFI 454 (SOLD - I'm a boring Corvette owner now)
Bought my first big-block Chevy in 1970
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old Dec 6th, 05, 04:53 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Robert

I did use the handy little plastic tool to slide in the new seal. Now whether or not it did its job I'm not sure. The seal went in somewhat easy.

I'm going to start from scratch with an open mind and start from the top and work down. Tonight I put in 3 1oz bottles of the UV dye from Napa and ran the engine for a good while. I'll do the clean up next then run the engine and start checking with the light. I hate you guys have had or are having similar problems, I guess that's just part of the hobby.

Robert

TC member #18
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old Dec 6th, 05, 05:35 PM
Senior Tech
Royce

One question, are you guys offsetting the parting line in seal? Meaning are you not lining the rear seal up with the parting line in the rear main cap. Are you putting any sealer on the tips of the two halves of the seal? (where they come together). OK, maybe it was more than one question.

Royce (NO XQSSS) Bradley

(brief sound/video clip, 3 1/2" exhaust through Borla Sportsman mufflers)
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old Dec 6th, 05, 06:38 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Robert

Royce,

Yes and yes. The instructions on the seal package even say the same. I don't think that used to be the case.

Thanks

Robert

TC member #18
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode