Buying a 383. Anybody dealt with Prestige in AZ? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 49 (permalink) Old Dec 6th, 05, 12:23 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Brian

Send a message via AIM to milehigh67
Buying a 383. Anybody dealt with Prestige in AZ?

I am thinking about buying a 383 crate motor for my 67 vert. I have been talking with Prestige Performance in the Phoenix area. Has anybody else have any feedback on these guys. I found them on ebay. Here is the ebay add and their website.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/383-4...spagenameZWDVW

http://www.prestigehighperformance.com/

I talked with them and they sound upfront but I would feel better if somebody else who has dealt with these guys give them a thumbs up.

1967 Convertible SS 350
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 49 (permalink) Old Dec 6th, 05, 01:44 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jack

Re: Buying a 383. Anybody dealt with Prestige in AZ?

They are a couple miles from my office. I'll have to check them out.
post #3 of 49 (permalink) Old Dec 6th, 05, 01:49 PM

Just a question here:

They are selling a engine at 453 Hp and using Desk Top Dyno for there numbers.

I would be carefull

post #4 of 49 (permalink) Old Dec 6th, 05, 03:09 PM
Tech Team
Ben

I got a private message from a Senior Member named Travis selling a 383. It sounds like a great deal on a solid engine. I can get you his contact info.

I know I'm a chicken, but I want to be either close personally, or physically with the guy that is going to build an engine for the car. It's pretty hard to have someone's butt in your briefcase from a thousand miles away.

Ben Wornall
1967 Camaro Sport Coupe
post #5 of 49 (permalink) Old Dec 6th, 05, 09:35 PM
Senior Tech

i'd be weary.. They don't sound to good tome.. just for the simple fact that they dont tell u exactly what u arte getting..Ex. "high performance race heads" What the heck does that mean? It looks like the got some stock redneck double humps and put some 202 160's in em

69 Camaro RS, 383ci,10.5-1 AFR 195's ported, Comp 286HR, 4340 forged Crank & Rods, JE Pistons, RPM Airgap, Holley 750 HP carb, 350 turbo w/ shift kit, 3000 Coan, Be cool, caltracs,12bolt 355 eaton posi..Best E.T. 12.22 @ 112

post #6 of 49 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 05, 05:14 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Brian

Send a message via AIM to milehigh67

Here is a copy of the quote that these guys sent me. Notice there is a little bit more detail on what I get. Are the eagle heads listed pretty good? This is my first time dealing with either buying or building an engine. I am a novice right now. Does this quote sound like it will produce 400 plus horsepower. I am not trying to get exactly 453 Hp but if this motor will make my car fun to drive the price is right.

Any and all comments are welcome.

Prestige High Performance Engines
2024 N. 27th Ave.
Phoenix, AZ 85374
602-793-8595

Mailing Address:
Prestige High Performance Engines
P.O. Box 11225
Phoenix, AZ 85061-1225

Quote # 2419
Brian Stanley

383 (9.5:1 Compression Ratio – Designed for 91 Octane) 3882.00
275I/277E Duration .462I/.482E Lift Choppy Idle Lower RPM Power Torque Cam
Cam is the largest Comp Cam designed for use with a stock converter / No Stall Converted Needed)
Color: Customer Request: ______________ (We custom paint to your request as part of the package)

(All parts listed below are Brand New)
1. Heads (Official Dart Iron Eagle 2.02”I/1.6”E Heads)
2. Crankshaft (Forged Scat Crankshaft)
3. Carburetor (750 Edelbrock) (Changed to Edelbrock 650 CFM -$12.81)
4. Distributor (Pro-Form/Mallory Pro-Curved High Performance HEI with 50,000 Volt Coil)
5. Manifold (Professional Products Power Plus HP 360 Degree “Hurricane” Aluminum High Rise Single Plane "Victor Junior Style" for Extreme Power)
6. Valve Covers (Edelbrock Brushed Aluminum "Elite Edition") (These are the top of line “Elite Edition” Edelbrocks not the regular Edelbrocks)
7. Air Cleaner (Edelbrock "Elite Edition") (This also is the top of line “Elite Edition” Edelbrocks not the regular Edelbrocks)
8. Water Pump (NAPA)
9. Fuel Pump (Holly)
10. Harmonic Balancer (Pioneer 8" Harmonic Balancer with Bolt/Washer Kit)
11. Flexplate (CAT SFI Approved or equivalent Flexplate)
12. Pulleys (Upper & Lower)
13. Gaskets (Fel-Pro)
14. Oil Dipstick & Tube (GM)
15. Timing Cover (GM Performance Parts "Bowtie" Timing Cover & Chrome Pointer)
16. Spark Plug Wire Looms (Taylor)
17. Spark Plugs (AC-Delco)
18. Oil Pump (Melling / Sealed Power)
19. Oil Pump Driveshaft (Melling / Sealed Power)
20. Oil Pump Pickup Screen (Melling / Sealed Power)
21. Double Roller Timing Set (SA Gear / Sealed Power)
22. Hyperutectic Pistons (Sealed Power or Comparable Quality Supplier)
23. Camshaft (Comp Cams / Sealed Power)
24. Valve Springs (Pioneer)
25. Lifters (Melling / Sealed Power)
26. Rod Bolts (Pioneer 180,000 psi)
27. Connecting Rods (Pioneer)
28. Rings (Comp Cams or Equivalent)
29. Bearings (Rod/Main/Cam Bearings)
30. Brass Freeze Plugs (Pioneer)
31. Pushrods (Pioneer)
32. Oil Pan (7 Quart High Capacity Oil Pan) & Oil Pan Bolts
33. Head Bolts (Pioneer)
Shipping Free
Balancing Free
2 Year unlimited mile warranty Free
Total Including Shipping $3869.19

1967 Convertible SS 350

post #7 of 49 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 05, 06:25 PM
Senior Tech
Craig

I wouldnt put a lot of faith in those HP numbers. Torque is probably about right though...seems all 383 strokers make about the same torque...mid 400s. I looked at these guys as well when i was shopping but ultimately decided to go with a local builder. Nothing to do with Prestige really, just wanted to deal locally.

post #8 of 49 (permalink) Old Oct 26th, 06, 10:46 AM

I have bought a engine from prestige and was not satisfied. if you in the the shop for a good crate engine look on-line for performance unlimited. I went cheaper and now I wish I would have gone with them instead. They build it to what you want and live test run it on video for you to see.
post #9 of 49 (permalink) Old Oct 26th, 06, 02:59 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Strick

I have thought long and hard about this topic, and even looked at the AZ dealer mentioned here. I am buying a GM Crate motor from Summit or our local GMC dealer this winter. I will probably pay $1000 + more, but it is right from the factory.

Strick
'67 'Vert (408" SBC), V-Rod, Street Glide, and too many other motorcycles to list.
post #10 of 49 (permalink) Old Oct 26th, 06, 04:21 PM
Tech Team

The heads they are using are what I put on my 383. I used 200 cc intake runners on my heads. I would go with a split plenum intake like a performer RPM, it's more streetable. The single plane intakes build hp top end, but for driveability the split plenum is better. JMO. I also used a similar cam. The duration they are quoting is advertised. I bet at .050 it's more like 222 intake 228 exhaust. I think the engine will be fine.
post #11 of 49 (permalink) Old Oct 26th, 06, 05:43 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Lane

Quote:
Originally Posted by milehigh67 View Post
I am thinking about buying a 383 crate motor for my 67 vert. I have been talking with Prestige Performance in the Phoenix area. Has anybody else have any feedback on these guys. I found them on ebay. Here is the ebay add and their website.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/383-4...spagenameZWDVW

http://www.prestigehighperformance.com/

I talked with them and they sound upfront but I would feel better if somebody else who has dealt with these guys give them a thumbs up.

Milehigh,

I too am in the market for an engine and trying to decide between a custom 383 or ZZ4 crate from Gilbert Chevy.. I'm looking at T&L engine development as one of my options. There prices are fair and have heard nothing but goods things about past customers here.. They will install some of your parts and dyno your engine before it leaves.. Only neg. I hear is don't be in any hurry as it takes longer than expected to arrive..

If you want to check them out:

www.gilbertchevy.com (Plenty of options)
www.tandlengines.com

Thanks, Joe

69' Camaro X44 Base Coupe - 1\4 - 12.79
383 Stroker\700R4\Vigilante\12 Bolt Eaton Posi 3:55
QA1; Hotchkis; Vintage Air; IROC Steering Box
Owned and operated for over 20 years....................

04' CTS-V - Daily Driver -
-

LS6, Headers, Cam, Corsa exhaust, Electric cutouts.
post #12 of 49 (permalink) Old Oct 26th, 06, 05:49 PM
Senior Tech
Bob

You have to realize that hp at their elevation won't be hp at your elevation. Don't you have any good engine builders in your area? When you have an issue you will want a local builder. Support your local shops and keep everyone happy.

Bob
Garnet Red 69/SS396/TH400/355 Posi Sold
'02 triple blk Vette Vert. now
94 HD Dyna Wideglide
post #13 of 49 (permalink) Old Oct 19th, 07, 02:33 AM
Senior Tech
Carl

I hope no one uses this thief.

He sold me a bill of goods and I lost $3000.00 on the whole deal.
His heads were junk and were chunked out to 83 cc combustion chamber.
They barely flowed 140 @ .500

He will lie, con whatever it takes to make a sale.

STAY AWAY
post #14 of 49 (permalink) Old Oct 19th, 07, 07:44 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by phel69 View Post
You have to realize that hp at their elevation won't be hp at your elevation. Don't you have any good engine builders in your area? When you have an issue you will want a local builder. Support your local shops and keep everyone happy.
Your incorrect. If they run the engine on a dyno and they should on new engine build the dyno numbers are corrected to SAE standard day conditions, if they didn't dyno numbers wouldn't mean a thing.

Personally I would either find a local engine builder you trust to go with or buy a GM crate motor.

Glacier Blue/Dover White 69 SB SS Restoclone.

99 Trans Am...my toy

post #15 of 49 (permalink) Old Oct 19th, 07, 07:52 AM
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by phel69 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Man View Post
Your incorrect. If they run the engine on a dyno and they should on new engine build the dyno numbers are corrected to SAE standard day conditions, if they didn't dyno numbers wouldn't mean a thing.

Personally I would either find a local engine builder you trust to go with or buy a GM crate motor.
phel69 is saying that the actual power developed by the motor at the higher elevations in Colorado will be quite a bit less than the actual power developed at sea level. This is the reason that there are correction factors to make the paper horsepower come out to a standard value, but it doesn't do anything about the actual power produced by the motor.
Desktop Dyno, to my knowledge, doesn't make any allowances for density altitude, and produces predictions based on operation at sea level under standard dyno conditions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode