space between intake and block - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 6th, 05, 07:36 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

space between intake and block

I think the gap between the bottom of the intake manifold at both ends and the engine block seems awefully large. It is a big gap for me to fill in with silicone sealer.

It is a new Weiand blower intake sitting on new 74cc AFR heads.

The gap is a little more than 1/2". Is this normal?

1973 RS Z28: 401ci Dart Little M, Littlefield 6-71 supercharger @14lbs boost, Callies Magnum crank, Lunati rods, JE pistons, 7.8:1, AFR 227 Comp heads, T&D 1.6 shaft rockers. Reed solid FT cam (240/[email protected]/.542 lift-112 LSA), QFT 750 carbs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 6th, 05, 08:26 PM
Senior Tech
Royce

Re: space between intake and block

1/2" seems a bit large to me. Do your ports line up ok? Did you shave the heads or block?

Royce (NO XQSSS) Bradley

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(brief sound/video clip, 3 1/2" exhaust through Borla Sportsman mufflers)
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 6th, 05, 08:33 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Question Re: space between intake and block

I agree with Royce - a 1/2" gap is really large...
A gap of @1/16~1/8" (1.5~3mm) would be closer to 'normal' for standard head/block (deck) heights.

If the gap is larger than normal I will sometimes use to original GM rubber end seals - if it is tighter I go with just plain silicone.

Lets us know what you find - inquiring minds want to know...

John

ps: Royce - let me know when your gonna be around

1968 Convertible
Some trucks

Other V8 things - some of which float

Other V6 things - none of which float

Oh yeah, and 1 "Straight-Six" ...

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 6th, 05, 10:44 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Royce,

The intake ports line up absolutely perfectly with the heads. You can see this very clearly with the large opening for the blower.

The AFR heads and block have never been cut. I wanted the low compression so I could run more boost and the 72cc heads give me a 7.6:1 ratio. I wouldn't want to cut them. I was wondering if anyone else had seen this with 72cc AFR 195 heads.

I was also wondering if they sold a spacer to put in there, other than the rubber seals which I never use. I have to slop in a lot of silicone to fill that gap.

1973 RS Z28: 401ci Dart Little M, Littlefield 6-71 supercharger @14lbs boost, Callies Magnum crank, Lunati rods, JE pistons, 7.8:1, AFR 227 Comp heads, T&D 1.6 shaft rockers. Reed solid FT cam (240/[email protected]/.542 lift-112 LSA), QFT 750 carbs
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 6th, 05, 11:09 PM
Senior Tech
Mike

Smile Re: space between intake and block

1/2" is a little large to just use silicone. I have had to make end rail spacers before, it is not that hard to do. Just make a template of the end rail off of the manifold or the block and make them out of 3/8 (.375) aluminum material. Then tap the block in the end rail holes and use countersunk machine screws to attach the spacers. Be sure to seal the spacers with silicone sealer, then simply use a small bead off silicone sealer to seal the manifold as per normal. I personaly like Permatex Ultra Seal Black.
You could also make some end rails out of cork type material and 3M ( yellow Death) them to the block, but this is less permanent.
I had to make some spacers this summer for my tall deck/canted valve SB, and the aluminum way worked excellent.
Hope this helps.
Mike.

2002 Jerry Bickle Cavalier, 446" Small Block, Brodix Canted Valve, lenco 5 speed, 7.54 @ 180. mph,1.06 60', 2235 lbs for 2014. GM Canada Docs, Highly Optioned 69 RSZ28 , Hugger Orange, White Stripes, 42,000 mile survivor, owned since 1973.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 6th, 05, 11:27 PM
Tech Team
shawn

This is a pic of a weiand 871 I just finished for a friend.... the head gaskets are in in this pic but no intake gaskets and almost no gap...heads are new world sportsmans

Shawn

69 Camaro project started July 05 (wifes car)

85 Z28 Special ordered in late 84
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 05, 05:39 AM
Senior Tech
Gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokyo Torquer
I think the gap between the bottom of the intake manifold at both ends and the engine block seems awefully large. It is a big gap for me to fill in with silicone sealer.

It is a new Weiand blower intake sitting on new 74cc AFR heads.

The gap is a little more than 1/2". Is this normal?
You may want to look closely at the distributor height, if the gap is that large on the end rails it may affect the cam gear to distributor gear "contact" points. If necessary you can use a distributor that has a height adjustment. Thanks, Gary in N.Y.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 05, 01:46 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I just recalled one factor..I am using the real thick Fel-Pro intake gaskets..that probably adds to a bit of the gap.

rszmjt: I have both Permatex and GE ULTRA Black on the shelf..Permatax is easier to find, but I find the GE stuff far superior...sometimes the Permatex stuff comes out of the tube a bit grayish and watery.

Slowdrive: That is my exact same intake manifold with different heads.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 05, 02:38 PM
Tech Team
shawn

I used the Fel-Pros (always) on the intake and it still fit nice and snug (found a pic of it with the gaskets installed if you want to see it) sounds like the block might be decked....havent ever had this problem so I can't be much help sorry

Shawn

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 05, 04:00 PM
Senior Tech
Royce

Mike, This is the same block you were running before, correct? Just different heads? Is that the same intake or a new one? Something is not jiving right and before I made spacers or used an adjustable collar I would want to make sure what was going on. Do you have another manifold (even a stock cast iron one)? If so set it on the long block and see how it fits. Maybe you got a bad intake or maybe it's the heads. You can elimiante one by trying a different intake (doesn't have to be a blower intake). One thing to check on the heads, do they have a lip on the upper edge? (on the intake side). You may have to grind or machine the edge of the intake (I had to mill the edges of my Blower Shop intake to clear my Dart heads). I definetly would not use a 1/2" tall bead of silicon.

John, I totally forgot to call you. I am around today and will be around Friday. I'll give you a call.

Royce (NO XQSSS) Bradley

(brief sound/video clip, 3 1/2" exhaust through Borla Sportsman mufflers)
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 05, 04:51 PM
Tech Team
shawn

Oh ya the 871 I just did was bought new from summit this spring and had the wrong standoffs for the idler...... when we called Weiand they said they are no longer making full size blowers and had sold all of their parts to the blower shop which is where we had to get the right parts from. Just FYI incase you need parts

Shawn

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode