whats best for a chevy 350 - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 6th, 05, 08:13 PM Thread Starter

Question whats best for a chevy 350

I made a trade a little while back for a 78 Chevy Camaro. The 350 has been converted to a 383.It has Im guessing around a 650-750 cfm, duel fuel feed, manual choke Holly carb and a generic distributer. I work on 18 million dollar aircraft but Im somewhat of a novice when it comes to cars. Im wondering if anyone knows a good carb and distributor that will fit my engine. I have read up on a few things and Im thinking a 650cfm manual choke carb is what im looking for but brand Im not sure it seems only holly will fit according to part search's. As well, a MSD hei distributor. If any one has any ideas of what wil fit, bang for the buck, any special things I will need, etc. Please put it in lamin terms, Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 6th, 05, 11:48 PM

Re: whats best for a chevy 350

if the engine is pretty warm id go with a holley 750 double pumper im pretty sure its model 4150. MSD makes a kit that includes their MSD 6-AL ignition box , electronic distributer , coil , plug wires all in one kit with install instructions , wireing harness to attack it to your car ect.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 05, 02:49 AM
Senior Tech

I have a Holley 650cfm 4bb carb on my 350 small block and mines is just fine!

When you buy an American car, you provide work for a man and his family for three months. -Jay Leno

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 05, 08:01 AM

Edelbrock Performer series carb Part #1405 or a 1407 should be just fine. The 1405 is a 600cfm that will make the motor have a more responsive feel torque should be up with this one.
The 1407 is a 750cfm recomended for High-performance street use. This is a good overall choice as you have 383ci it should still have more than enough down low power and give you slightly more HP higher up in the rpms.

If you are looking to get the most out of it such as a dragrace et slip a DP Holley or BG carb in the 650 to 750 range should be your ticket.

For a decent distributor Mallory makes a nice HEI dist. that wont break the bank its Part# 8548201C roughly $160.00 they also have a perf. version 8548201RC roughly $180.00 both of these come complete with coil. There are many other choices in distributors that will work here is Mallorys contact info to get their recomendation.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 05, 03:38 PM Thread Starter

Smile Re: whats best for a chevy 350

Appreciate the info, Ill check out those products an decide which is best for what Im looking for. With the Edelbrock will I need anything special to fit my application ie, plate? Again thanks for the help!!
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 05, 06:25 PM

I didnt see what exact intake you had but if the Holley bolted up the Edelbrock should be a bolt on swap. They are both what is called a square flange carb.. This means that all 4 of the butterflies in the bottom of the carb are either exactly the same size or very close to it. You may have to adjust your throttle linkage and or return spring and possibly some vacum lines a little but nothing major.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 05, 06:32 PM
Senior Tech
Craig

What kind of aircraft do you work on?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 05, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorpe67RS
What kind of aircraft do you work on?
I didnt dare ask I figured for that kind of money it was probably top secret and he would have to kill me if he told me.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 05, 11:34 PM
Senior Tech

Whats wrong with the carb and distributor you have now?

"This is not a cheerocracy...I make the cheercisions around here"
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 8th, 05, 01:13 AM
SY1
Senior Tech
Dave

Wink Re: whats best for a chevy 350

Texas, $18 million won't get you close to the Top Secret stuff, and he can't kill you because it's illegal. "They" (can't tell you who they are) could put you on the special red and white airliner shuttles and fly you into their secret airstrip though.

Actually you'd probably be surprised what the price tag of a nice corporate bizjet runs you today. I know my Falcons run around $34 million. The Falcon I crew chiefed back in the late 80s was $22 million new, almost double that today.

I just changed an oil pump Sunday, $41,000 EXCHANGE price. One exchange carbon brake assembly runs $60,000 for a Falcon 900. That'll be $240,000 to replace a set of brakes, plus labor. But they're good for 1000 landings. Kind of dwarfs what we pay to play!
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 8th, 05, 01:28 AM

No worries here I only fly with the front 2 wheels in the air and thats as far as I want to go up.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 8th, 05, 07:17 AM
Senior Tech
Craig

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasPerfProd
No worries here I only fly with the front 2 wheels in the air and thats as far as I want to go up.
LOL

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by thorpe67RS; Dec 8th, 05 at 12:58 PM.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 9th, 05, 05:07 AM Thread Starter

Im in the Army and work on the Apache helicopter 18 mil is a rough estimate. I just changed to the new job a few year back was a tanker "M1A2 Abrams" before the new job. No killing going to happen here not unless you try and run a plane into my house. The carb that was on it was a 750 Holley the guy that worked on it before me rigged the choke to stay open at all times for 1/4 mile. Im more into power for street riding. In the process of him doing that some of the springs on the choke side are broke plus I decided to go with a edelbrock alittle more dressy. The distributor was a a peiced together HEI. That is my biggest problem I wasn't getting any OHMs from the starter connector and the button "coil" so I said screw it and decide for new distributor too. Once again thanks for the help if I run into any problem you guys will be first on my list to ask. If you ever work on any turbines let me know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode