info and opinions on whipple superchargers? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 05, 06:25 PM Thread Starter

info and opinions on whipple superchargers?

Hey guys, I have been trying to decide if I want to go with a centrifical blower or a roots blower. The centrifical seems nice because it fits under the hood, make awesome power and is easier to tune with only one carb. But they do not make a tone of power down low compared to a roots but they come alive up top. I want a roots because they look cool, make good low end power and can probably pick one up for a decent price. But they are tougher to tune, in general do not make as much top end power as a centrifical on pump gas.

Now that I explained what i was looking at before I can get to my question. I have heard of whipple super chargers, but never thought much about them. After some research they seem to be what I am looking for. Probably will still need a bunch of tunning, but makes good low,mid and high end power. It also seems to act more like a turbo than a supercharger and I like that because I want a turbo, but that is too much money. The thing is no one seems to have much info on them. I know people put them on new trucks alot, but I am wondering how they would compare when using one on a carbed 454 that I would like to push a real 700-750 fwhp on 93 octane. Is the design of a screw type supercharger as good as it seems? Can someone explain the good and that bad of this design to me? Also is this a good supercharger for this power level and for drag racing.

Any info and opinions are welcome.

thanks
Tom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 8th, 05, 12:03 AM
Senior Tech
Joe

Re: info and opinions on whipple superchargers?

Of the two I would say the supercharger is the way to go if money isnt a worry, both have about the same HP loss threw the belt but you have the option of adding an intercooler with the supercharger. Both are just as hard to tune and superchargers tend to work better with EFI but using a carb isnt too much of a hassle, you just have to deal with an enclosed box and run a boost refrenced fuel pressure regulator and having a boost timing retard device is almost a must at the HP level you want to run. The supercharger will probably endup costing quite a bit more then a roots setup mainly because of all the little extras you will need to buy here and there to get it to run right.

70 Camaro, 355, th350, 4.10 posi.
74 Trans Am, 400, th400, 2.73 posi.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 8th, 05, 09:06 AM
Senior Tech
Royce

Lets see if I can help a little. A Centrif supercharger is the most efficient. You can easily add an intercooler as well. You do not have to have your carb in a box, you just need a hat and a blow through carb. You will not have the low end torque that a roots or screw will give you, but you will have more top end.

As far as tuning I thinkn a roots is easier to tune, they are very simple. The low end torque is just silly. I have an 8-71 on my small block it spins to 7000 with no problem. I am making 12lbs of boost on 91 octane.

Whipple chargers are great, the main draw back is the price. They are not cheap.

You can very easily reach your goals with any of the above. 700HP out of a blown big block is very easy to do. If you were shooting for 1200 or more I would say get a centrif for sure. With your goals, I suggest you go with which ever one is cheapest and most accessable to you. Tuning will not be an issue with a screw or roots.

Royce (NO XQSSS) Bradley

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(brief sound/video clip, 3 1/2" exhaust through Borla Sportsman mufflers)

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 8th, 05, 11:16 AM

Smile Re: info and opinions on whipple superchargers?

I forget if they are even made, but you might do a search for a belt-driven Latham turbine supercharger.

They are very eff. suck-through design if they are still around. Very low and compact and look kinda like a long, low and wide TPI intake nowadays........

I looked for them a while back and turned up a web site, but I forget what else it said???

pdq67

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 8th, 05, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdq67
I forget if they are even made, but you might do a search for a belt-driven Latham turbine supercharger.

They are very eff. suck-through design if they are still around. Very low and compact and look kinda like a long, low and wide TPI intake nowadays........

I looked for them a while back and turned up a web site, but I forget what else it said???

pdq67
Lysholm Is this who you meant?

Anyway here is some info that you might read to help make your choice.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 8th, 05, 01:46 PM Thread Starter

thank you guys for all your help. I your opinions is a centrif. more driveable than a roots? Because I like to drive my car all over the place.

thanks
Tom
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 8th, 05, 02:17 PM
Senior Tech
Garry

I have a weiand 177 prostreet and drive mine all over the place. I have it on a 468 in my '69 camaro. Tons of fun! Tons of low end torque and power with less than 7lbs of boost.

1969 LM1 Convertible Camaro

The restoration is ON!!
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 8th, 05, 05:44 PM

Smile Re: info and opinions on whipple superchargers?

No, I mean this one..

From this site so look it up and read amore about it.

http://www.almar.easynet.be/Other_superchargers.htm

The most interesting of this group was the Latham compressor. Built by N. Latham in the USA in the period between 1955-1965, there are no records of one of these having ever been mounted on an air-cooled VW engine. It probably never was, because
a) the construction of the blower itself was thin and long, which didnít precisely match the "cubic" proportions of the VW engine
b) the some 600 units built were sized for US cars, V-8s and longblocks, and

<FONT size=3><SPAN lang=EN-GB style="FONT-FAMILY: Tahoma; mso-ansi-language: EN-GB"><SPAN lang=EN-GB style="COLOR: black; FONT-FAMILY: Tahoma; mso-ansi-language: EN-GB">c) the rotor needed to spin at high revs, nearing 20.000 rpm. This was obtained using an enormous ratio crank pulley/blower pulley which, in turn, generated friction problems that wrecked all belts tested on the units that went into operation.

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 8th, 05, 10:20 PM
Senior Tech
Marc

Tom, Give this site a look, www.ProCharger.com Another Tean Camaro member suggested this site to me. I think I'm going to install one this winter.

Marc

67 Camaro, 454, TH400, 9" 4.11's
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 9th, 05, 10:18 AM
Senior Tech
Royce

Either choice is perfectly street driveable and reliable. It really depends on what you are after. I drove (and will drive) my 8-71 all over the place hundereds of highway miles. I don't own a trailer and went to all kinds of shows/events.

If you describe exactly what the car will be used for we can maybe help steer you in the right direction. You said you like the looks of the roots type blowers, with your goal.

Royce (NO XQSSS) Bradley

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 10th, 05, 01:07 PM
Senior Tech

One consideration is that if you build the motor for a centrifugal, you can go with a much tamer cam that produces good low-end torque and "stock" driveability. While normally this would compromise high end power, you can let the centrifugal's non-linear boost more than make up for it on the top end.

If you don't mind the hole in the hood look, the Roots is a classic though. But they do make a ton of heat and you can't intercool them (practically, anyway... I think the Eaton in my Range Rover in intercooled).

---------------------------
1969 RS/SS 396 Camaro [MPFI Supercharged 502 Under Construction]
2007 427 Z06 Corvette
1969 Pontiac 2+2 427/390
2003 CL600 BiTurbo Renntech Stage III (635hp - [email protected]) [Sold!]
2006 Range Rover Eaton Supercharged
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 10th, 05, 05:51 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Turd Fergeson

Here is a 2004 Mustang Cobra with a centrifugal supercharger running 19 pounds of boost. Notice the sagging torque line until the engine is way up in the RPM range. (Click Image for Larger Pic)

Here is my 2004 Mustang Cobra running a Whipple at 19 pounds of boost. Look at the torque curve as flat a a tabletop. (Click Image for Larger Pic)

1968 British Racing Green Crossram Camaro Z/28
Double Trouble

2016 Black Corvette Z06/Z07
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 10th, 05, 07:24 PM
Senior Tech
Royce

It really depends on what you want. If you want top end, high RPM, top speed type power, it is hard to beat a centrif. They MPH great, but just like a turbo they can't compete when it comes to low end grunt. Roots and whipple chargers have it over them there. Whipples are great, they are just a little pricey. The best thing you could do is ride in a few blown cars. I have always loved blowers (all types). You won;t be able to make the same amount of boost with a roots, but you don't need to to reach your posted goals. If you don't want a hole in the hood, then a centrif or turbo is your only choice. I am sure these posts are not really helping to clear up things, LOL. It's just the way it is. They all have pros and cons.

Royce (NO XQSSS) Bradley

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode