Fouled spark plugs - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Dec 8th, 05, 05:39 PM Thread Starter

Fouled spark plugs

I have a 1967 Camaro and am having a problem with some of the sparks plugs fouling. The engine is recently rebuilt with only about 600 miles on it. I installed new plugs when the engine was rebuilt and recently replaced them (about 100 miles ago) due to the fact that about 4 out of 8 were fouled. They were not wet but black soot. The other 4 were fine, light tan. The fouled plugs are not all on the same side of the engine, some are on the right and some on the left.

Any thoughts on how I can solve this problem?

Engine combination is:

350ci bored .30 over
Edelbrock air-gap intake manifold
Holley 750 cfm vacum secondary carb (80508s) - no jet changes
Cam - Adv duration: 270 - 280, dur at .050: 204 - 214, gross lift 420 - 443
Heads - 1969 cast iron - 3947041
Valves - 2.02 - 1.60
Accel HEI distributor
NGK plugs - XR5 V-Power gaped at .45
14 degress initial timing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Dec 8th, 05, 05:51 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Re: Fouled spark plugs

If the problem plugs were the end ones on one side and the middle 2 on the other, I'd say you have a major rich condition on one side of your carb. If you look close at the intake manifold you can tell which cylinders are connected to which side of the carb.
Might try screwing each idle mixture screw to lightly bottom, counting the turns, and see of one is lots farther unscrewed than the other. Could be as simple as that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Dec 9th, 05, 04:56 AM Thread Starter

Thanks JimM. I'll check which plugs are fouling and the idle mixture screw settings.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Dec 11th, 05, 09:16 AM Thread Starter

I checked the spark plugs and the fouling did not follow the pattern of one side of the carb being adjusted to rich. I also checked the idle adjustment screws and they seated at about 1 1/4 turns each.

I adjusted the float level as the front was just a bit high. I also adjusted the idle mixture screws for optimum vacum. They were not off by much, 1/4 turn each. I replaced the 3 fouled spark plugs with new ones and will see what happens with the adjustments I've made.

Would having the timing advance to much cause a fouling problem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode