327 Heads 64/76 cc - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old Dec 8th, 05, 08:46 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member

327 Heads 64/76 cc

I've owned my 67 since 1973. I have not driven it in 20 years. If I replace the 64cc heads with 76cc heads will I be really disappointed. I am hoping to run on regular gas. The existing heads do not have hardened seats.

My current budget is set to upgrade to disc brakes and an overdrive tranny with little left over for engine work.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old Dec 9th, 05, 12:21 AM
Senior Tech

Re: 327 Heads 64/76 cc

Which engine are you using now (210hp-327, 275hp, etc)? I assume it has stock pistons? What are the casting numbers on the heads that are on there now? If you have a 210hp 327 (the base 2bbl model), then it doesn't have much compression to start with...adding even bigger chambers would not be a move in the right direction. As far as unleaded seats go, its not really an issue unless you drive the car a LOT, or plan on driving it hard all the time.
What are your intentions with this car?

"This is not a cheerocracy...I make the cheercisions around here"
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old Dec 9th, 05, 07:38 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member

It is the 275 hp 327 (4 barrel). Everything on the car is origonal except for an edelbrock intake and carb (from reading on this site I think I will have the origonal rodchester rebuilt). My future plans include a crate 350. The current plans are to let my high school son drive it.
Perhaps I should just retard the timing to eliminate knocking because I plan to replace in the future? Do I run the risk of cracking the crank and ruining the engine?
I hope to save all the origonal parts incase some day I want to sell and the buyer wants to return the car to origonal.

Last edited by Dave H.; Dec 9th, 05 at 08:01 AM. Reason: Another thought

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old Dec 9th, 05, 09:01 AM

If you could post the casting numbers that is stamped in the valve spring area under the valve covers, someone here could tell you more about what you have.

As far as timing goes, what is your static timing set to? Even with my low compression 327/210 engine, my motor starts to ping if I set the initial timing above 12* BTDC.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old Dec 9th, 05, 09:37 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member

I'll post those casting numbers when I get home tonight. It's been a long time since those valve covers were off.
Thanks
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old Dec 9th, 05, 10:48 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Dave, with a 327-275, if you want to run today's regular fuel, you will need to change your heads to drop compression. The casting numbers you post will verify this. Depending on how you do it, this won't be a terrible thing, and might even be good. Slightly later model 76cc heads, say off a hipo '74 350 won't hurt your performance much at all, and perhaps a 70cc edelbrock or similar modern alluminum head will kill any potential for ping AND give you better performance!
Really tho, for $4 a fillup, is it really worth getting away from premium fuel? Even assuming you get some decent factory heads for $500, rebuilt and ready to go, it would take ONE HUNDRED TWENTY FIVE tanks of gas before you start saving any money!
And Granny, if you go to midgrade, you'll stop pinging, be able to bump your timing even more, and probably get better mileage, for another dime a gallon!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old Dec 9th, 05, 11:08 AM
Senior Tech
Chad

You may need to play with the advance in the distributer but it should run fine on 89 or higher.If you are running vacume and stock advance weights you may have 40 or 50 degrees total advance.

67 Plum Mist Met. 408 TH350 3.08 posi

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old Dec 9th, 05, 06:16 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member

My head casting number is 3890462. My timing is set at the recommended value which if I remember correctly it is 6 or 8 BTDC.
Thanks for the help.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old Dec 9th, 05, 06:28 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Those would likely be the original heads for a 1967 327-275 4 bbl motor. 64cc chambers, 1.9 / 1.5 valves, decent ports, ok heads. With the stock flat top 4 eyebrow pistons your compression ratio was advertised at 10:1, and is probably actually a little less. This is a premium gas motor.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old Dec 9th, 05, 07:25 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member

Okay I accept the fact is was a dumb idea to try and use regular gas. Sounds like you all would suggest ignoring the unhardened valves and seats and just deal with that problem down the road (so to speak).
Thanks
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old Dec 9th, 05, 07:28 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

The valve seats really won't be a problem, that was a wifes tale we all believed back in the 70's.

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old Dec 9th, 05, 08:39 PM

Smile Re: 327 Heads 64/76 cc

Jim's right!

Only if you lug it or work it hard!!

pdq67

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old Dec 11th, 05, 12:13 PM
Tech Team
Keith

Send a message via AIM to 69mkitmine
Arrow Re: 327 Heads 64/76 cc

I've seen several cases where the unhardened valve seats have failed, but in every case, it was in a vehicle used for heavy towing. Haven't seen a problem with pass. cars. I once had a career in cylinder head renewal.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old Dec 11th, 05, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69mkitmine
I've seen several cases where the unhardened valve seats have failed, but in every case, it was in a vehicle used for heavy towing. Haven't seen a problem with pass. cars. I once had a career in cylinder head renewal.
Same here I have 3 sets piled up that are equal to the worst seats Ive seen. I know 2 sets came off hard worked 3/4 ton trucks the other set were off a car not to sure why they looked so bad. I couldnt believe how destroyed one set was and the motor actually ran. (Darn Chevys want to run forever ) I do know of many not running hardened seats too and they are still going atleast for now.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old Dec 11th, 05, 06:17 PM
Senior Tech
67 Camaros Rock

I have been running my original 67 Camaro heads on unleaded fuel for ever and no problems. If your taking it apart hard seats would be a good idea and cheap insurance against a problems down the road, as failure is possible. Without them you are taking a chance.

Problem with using old heads is the waterjacket could be eaten away from the inside out and when installing the seats you could hit water, sometimes you see it sometimes you don't. Always mag the head before installing the seats to be sure. I have tossed some good heads over the years after attempting to install hard seats and founs them to be no good after boring for the seat.

You have choices here, mine would be if it's not a daily driver and it not in a truck or used as stated above, rubuild em and run em. If it is a daily driver beware of the valve coming up into the seat.

Joe

"If you can leave black marks on a straight from the time you exit a corner till the time you brake for the next turn.......
Then, you have enough horsepower."
-Mark Donahue
My 67 Camaro Time Line
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode