AFR's & Headers (I know) - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 9th, 05, 06:07 AM Thread Starter

AFR's & Headers (I know)

I've been around here for a few years but because I have a 2nd gen I spend most of my time there.Now I finally have a 1st gen and some questions but I couldn't seem to be able to log in under my original name and thought it was because I hadn't posted forever.
Anyway I did a search on my question but have many different answers.I have the AFR220's on my sb and want to know if I will have problems with headers because of the raised deck? I want Super Comps but there are none to be found right now and can get a set of Headmans locally but from what I'm reading they won't work.
BTW My heads are the angle plugs.tks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 9th, 05, 06:27 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

Re: AFR's & Headers (I know)

Those were questions I and others on this site asked when going to AFR 's.
I had a set of hooker comps 2451 on my sbc stock heads, World square port heads and now on my AFR 195's . I fretted to no end and searched as many on this site did for the same answer. I went to the Salle site and did not find much help either.
Looking at the exhaust ports on this head, the opening appears to be in center line with bolt line. Thus indicating the raised port is not an issue with headers. But if you compare the raised port heads on GM Vortec, the picture I saw, showed the port higher on the top side of bolt center line. I think that some time people think all heads are constructed same but not in the case with AFR.
I finally talked to Jason Dow, of AFR. He stated the my 1 5/8 round port Hooker 2451 will seal. Their port is not truly round but D oval. Thus raised in the center of the oval prolly .200 ths.
I Installed the heads and used Ultra seal 5907 gaskets and no problems at all. I later went to the TriY 376-1 coated because Hooker 2451 has a design problem that allows the driver side collector to hang down lower than right and being that my Z had 4 in ground clearance, I could skin every speed bump in west Texas along with some armadillos.
I can only speak of the combination. Do a search on this site and you will find many that have been down the road you are on .

Don
TC # 349
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E Owner since Dec 1968

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 9th, 05, 09:06 AM
Senior Tech
Greg

I can give some close first hand experience, but not exact. I have AFR 195s on a 69. I originally had 15 year old $99 Headman headers. Like all in a 69 with PS, they just barely hit the power steering box, but not bad. The worst problem was the #1 tube hit the #3 spark plug. A small ding and a short plug fixed that.

I then went to 1 3/4 Hooker Super Comps (2131 I believe) and the plugs clear fine. It touches the PS box but I did not ding it. The big problem is underneath. I had to put a very healthy ding in the tube to clear the pitman arm.

I also have a solid motor mount on that side which may raise the port even further.

Good luck!

69 Camaro, 3650lbs., 400ci, TH400, Coan 10" converter, 3.50 gear
D1SC, pump gas, street car, Water/Meth injection
1.302 60', 5.956 @ 116.4 Super Sniper EFI 2019

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 9th, 05, 09:54 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

my 2451`'s did not hit, rust . bust or roll down hill backwards. they cleared ps box by 1/2 in or so but definately not close, but did hang down on driver side. Have to watch pitman arm on some 2131 as some report it hits one tube. The 2451 were orginally for straight plug but I have used them on World and now AFR angle plug heads with no issues.

Don
TC # 349
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E Owner since Dec 1968

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 10th, 05, 09:20 AM Thread Starter

Tks guys, I ordered the Super Comps so now I'll wait and see how they work when I get them and let you know.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 10th, 05, 09:29 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jody

Quote:
Originally Posted by craggar1
Tks guys, I ordered the Super Comps so now I'll wait and see how they work when I get them and let you know.

Thanks and welcome Craggar!

Jody

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 10th, 05, 10:52 AM
Senior Tech
Carl

If the 220 port is similar to the 210, there will be port mis-match problems.

The Comp port is taller than it is wide. The 210 port is wider than it is tall. It takes a significant amount of rework to get the Comp header to work.

The nicest set I've seen that fit 210's are made by Lemons.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 10th, 05, 04:25 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the welcome Jody, I know you already from NastyZ28.
Carl I agree with you on the port mis match, I tried a set of Headman's today just to see how they cleared the plugs and saw the same thing as you described. The problem with Lemon's headers is cost. I may look into them just to see how much but I'm guessing double the price of the Super Comps.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 10th, 05, 05:50 PM
Senior Tech
Carl

Lemons are likely close to $1k. Though it might seem expensive, to get the port alignment right, fix the offending tube that hits the pitman arm, fix the #2 tube aft mounting hole so that the bolt will go in, and several other items, the price is easier to swallow.

To do the flange correctly on Comps it is likely going to require cutting off the old flange and welding on a new one. By the time you grind out the flange on the fore/aft sides to fit your port you will have ground through the tube walls on most of the ports.

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 10th, 05, 06:09 PM Thread Starter

Tks Carl, that doesn't seem to bad. What's the time frame and I'm guessing he has a template or something to work from.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 10th, 05, 06:31 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

Sanderson Headers supposed to have step forward and made headers that fit the L98 GM head that is supposed to be the same as AFR on the ports ,, BUT, I tried that .. They sent me the CC5 HO and the #8 tube hit the starter solenoid so I did not even try the left, back in the box they went... Narrowed down to Thorley Tri Y 376-1,, fit like a glove.

Don
TC # 349

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 10th, 05, 10:53 PM
Senior Tech
Carl

I don't know what the current lead time is. You might want to check with Stahl as well.

The L98 port, like the AFR195, GM Fastburn, etc. is a "D" shaped port. The 210/220 is a rectangular port.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode