Grey/White milky stuff in oil - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old Dec 9th, 05, 07:33 AM Thread Starter

Grey/White milky stuff in oil

I have searched the forum, and found that this may be water, but I am not positive based on what I have read.

I bought a rebuilt motor that has maybe 1000 miles on it. It is a 350 motor with a larger cam, 11:1 compression, larger water pump, etc. I do not have the motor in the car yet and decided to drain the oil. I noticed a white or grey looking liquid coming out of the drain plug. This liquid is basically at the bottom of the oil pan and when I dump the oil pan, there is about a good inch of this grey/white milky liquid that is pretty thick and definetly seperated from the oil. does anyone have any ideas of what could cause this? I would think that if it is water or antifreeze it would be on the top and not the bottom of the pan. Could this be caused from the engine being rebuilt? The motor has sat for about 4 months too.

Any ideas would be greatly appriciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old Dec 9th, 05, 08:06 AM

Re: Grey/White milky stuff in oil

Id say just on a initial guess its water. and since the motor is "rebuilt" it may be something like a gasket isnt sealing on the intake. But a pressure check on the system would be what I would check.
Quote:
I would think that if it is water or antifreeze it would be on the top and not the bottom of the pan.
Water is heavier it always go to the botom if it sits long enough.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old Dec 9th, 05, 08:06 AM
Tech Team

Sounds like a typical water/oil emulsion. It takes some mixing, pulling the mixture through the oil pump could do it, to get that color. I've seen it on big industrial diesels with water jacket leaks.

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old Dec 9th, 05, 09:20 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

All may not be lost.. hope that its just an intake or head gasket and not a cracked block. Your probably going to have to tear into her either way.. Hope you didnt pay too much for that motor.

Mark
Long Gone: 1984 Z28, 1989 RS
Current : 1967 Coupe w/350, 2010 2SS

My Photobucket >>
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old Dec 9th, 05, 11:31 AM Thread Starter

Well who knows at this point. It does sound like a crappy deal...I paid $2000 for a rebuilt motor and now before even starting it or putting it in the car I find this. I am hoping that he either fixes it or gives me my money back on it. I was talking to a guy locally that builds motors and he said that because this motor has 11:1 compression, that the very minimum octane should be 106...and using premium gas which is like 91 octane, it can ruin the motor...at this point I dont know if I should find something more in the 9:1 range where I can use regular preimum gas..
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old Dec 9th, 05, 12:38 PM
Senior Tech
Mark

I think that I would look at getting your money back from him. If you intend to use this as a driver the compression will kill you.. It may work on 93 but most likely not. I think you would have to severly retard the timing to get it so it wouldnt detonate. Otherwise your looking at changing the heads or pistons depending on how the compression is being created, (with domed pistons or small cc's in the heads) if you do keep the motor.

Either way you look at it. Id try to return it. It appears it was ment for racing and to be trailered to the track. + a possible crack in the block or head = $$$ to repair and a pain the [email protected]@ to drive..

Do you think that he will take the return??

Mark
Long Gone: 1984 Z28, 1989 RS
Current : 1967 Coupe w/350, 2010 2SS

My Photobucket >>
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old Dec 10th, 05, 10:25 AM Thread Starter

Well this is where I am at with this. I am trying to talk myself into and justify the grey/white sludge in the oil...

In talking with my step son (who sold me the engine) and also a couple other people, the history of this motor is that it was built for an off road race truck about a year ago. It never actually ran in a race or very long at all...He was actually building the truck and had problems with the transmission so basically he would start up the motor bring it to temp and then shut it down. Maybe a trip around the block in the vehicle. This went on for about 9 months when he pulled the motor to sell the truck. In talking with others, they say it could be condensation from starting the motor and shutting it off...over time the condensation drained into the pan...they also said that it could be because of the motor not having very good crankcase ventalation. I pulled the valve cover and there was actually a slight hint of water on top of the rockers and in some of the valleys, and it was water not coolant.

Has anyone experienced this situation before?

I am thinking that I will finish putting the motor in the car and see how it goes. Since the motor has 11:1 compression, I was also told that I can run nothing less than 106 octane in it...
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old Dec 10th, 05, 10:52 AM
Welcome Back - Senior Tech
David

my only problem with your diagnosis is that you said the stuff settled to the bottom... Water is less dense than oil so the oil should push the water to the top of the pan. I may be wrong, but that means so is my chemistry professor!
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old Dec 10th, 05, 12:39 PM

Im no chemist but water always setteles in the bottom.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old Dec 10th, 05, 12:42 PM Thread Starter

Yea, I tested it...I poured some water in oil and it goes to the bottom...then I poured some oil in water and the oil came up to the top...I would think that oil is heavier but i think it is denser and therefore floats on water...that is how they clean up those big oil slicks too...everything is floating.
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old Dec 10th, 05, 01:28 PM
Team Member
Christropher

Oil always floats on the top. Ever boil water on the stove and pour a little veg. oil in it? It floats. Ever seen an oil spill in the ocean? The oil floats.

Christropher

...in pieces still.

MrDanB - "Don't worry about Mr.Wilcox...He has that incurable disease of thinking that they only made the Camaro in '67
"
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old Dec 10th, 05, 02:04 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

been reading and keeping quiet (unusual for me, i know) because I just hate bad news around the holidays...
An inch of water in the crankcase ain't condensation.
That gray gooky stuff is what you get if the motor is RUN with water in the oil.
Being the motor was going in a race car, bet you dime to donuts there was never any antifreeze in it anyway...
Give it back...

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old Dec 10th, 05, 08:00 PM
Senior Tech
Bob

Tell him to pull the oil pump and bearing caps. I'll bet the pump is clogged and the bearings are shot. The engine has problems and it definitely isn't condensation from your description.
There is a bad intake gasket , head gasket, leaky head bolts or a cracked block. The motor was run with oil in the water. It needs to be totally checked out.

Bob
Garnet Red 69/SS396/TH400/355 Posi Sold
'02 triple blk Vette Vert. now
94 HD Dyna Wideglide
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old Dec 11th, 05, 06:14 AM Thread Starter

This has really been bothering me a lot...so I went out and looked again and actually measured the amount of grey sludge...in the bottom of the oil pan that i use to coolect and dump the oil, I left the sludge in it as proof. I measure it and it is between an 1/8 and 1/4 of an inch, not an inch like i originally said. based on the size of this pan and compared to the oil pan, i would assume the oil pan had maybe 1/8th of an inch sludge in it...not sure if that really makes a difference here or not? Also, since it is sludge I would assume that part of the 1/8" is part oil and part water...how much water is needed to make an 1/8" of sludge? Also, if there is a blown head gasket or cracked head, or all the other possibilties, what would other signs be? maybe white soout in the exaust ports? I am not sure if there are others signs that i could be looking for...
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old Dec 11th, 05, 07:04 AM

I still say there is to much water to be any "condensation" issue if in fact this is water. If for some reason it were a crack in the head possibly located in a particular cylinder the exhaust port could be a hint it will or should be extremely light in color compared to the others. A pressure check of the coolant system would infact verify a leak. The "sludge" verifys it has been run with considerable contaminants in the oil. I would suggest atleast checking the bearings before running it more. I would ask for the damages to be repaired properly or a full refumd. If the motor is that "new" (1000mi) whoever did the machine work and or assembly should be willing to help with the repairs. Thats if there are no signs of abuse/neglect that caused this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode