#6 not firing?! Rough engine.HELP - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Dec 9th, 05, 11:00 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Howie

Send a message via Yahoo to Howielones
#6 not firing?! Rough engine.HELP

I have a 68 Maro w/ 355, Edelbrock 1406, Edel intake, Unilite Dist, OEM style coil, Platinum plugs, decent wires....all other cylinders are firing just fine. #6 is the only one to NEVER fire--period. The header paint is still black and shiny! I fired up the engine with the new plug out of the hole and hooked it up to the #6 wire from the unilite and could not see spark--so being a dumbass (toughguy )I held the plug--damn near lost my arm from loads of spark! Good wire, good plug, good spark, good connection but when I put the plug in the cyl nothing happens. I remember adjusting the valves with engine on the stand and the cam lobes were not flat, so maybe I have an intake not opening to let fuel in? I am stumped-thanks in advance if I cant reply right away!

68 plain old stocker Maro. 350/350 LeMans Blue, Black insides...496 in the garage waiting
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Dec 9th, 05, 11:22 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Chris

Cool Re: #6 not firing?! Rough engine.HELP

I was going through the same kind of problem... a couple of months ago..i have the Comp9000 dis.,Ign. i changed the cap,rotor,plugs,Wires...cause i also lost a cylinder...so then i was thinking compresion test, flat cam or valves...because nothing helped ...one cylinder still not working loss of "power" one cylinder short...Ah i was going bananas! anyway my 12 year old son told me he was hearing a clicking noise from the left valve cover...so i listened (to him) and sure enough ...i had a roller rocker that had came loose... .i put it back on...and that was the whole problem...Might want to check out your adjustment on your lifters....check valves...This was a true story...and will consider listening to my kids more often...his hobbie is working in the garage also...my other two sons would rather be on the playstation...

Muscle cars were loud, proud, and in your face, and did not pretend to be anything else.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Dec 9th, 05, 11:43 PM
Senior Tech
Keith

Re: #6 not firing?! Rough engine.HELP

Just becuse the plug is firing outside the engine dosen't mean all is well with that plug/wire. It's alot harder to fire the plug inside the chamber wen under compression. A little FYI even though this has nothing to do with your particular problm, but a bad coil can produce a spark outside of the combustion chamber, that's why the screwdriver to valve cover test isn't truely valid. I'd put a new plug and wire on that cylinder then check your valve adjustments on that cylinder.If a new plug and wire don't help and the valves are adjuste properly, remove the rockers and turn the engine over slowly and watch the pushrods. Make sure they go up and down correctly so as to make sure you didn't lose a cam lobe.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Dec 10th, 05, 08:37 AM
Senior Tech

I agree with 69X11. Make sure the wire is all the way into the cap but I will bet the wire is bad.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Dec 10th, 05, 10:23 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Howie

I have to wait til Monday morn...I coach swimming and we have a meet in Pacifica the entire weekend(today I left home at 5:30 am and was home at 7:30 pm)
I have tried two different wires with new plugs already and the coil is new as well, but I am going to try my #1 Cyl wire on the #6 first and vice versa. If that doesnt solve it I will go with Chris's kids hints and last of all as 69x11 says--pull the rockers and check pushrods themselves! Will chime back in Mon--so thanks so far for the tips. Should I yank a wire from my pal's mustang?!?!! HAHAHAHA

68 plain old stocker Maro. 350/350 LeMans Blue, Black insides...496 in the garage waiting
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Dec 12th, 05, 10:30 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Howie

Smooth as glass now!! Thanks for the tips. I pulled the rocker cover first thing this morning and took #6 intake rocker off and played with the pushrod--which turned out to be out of the lifter groove enough to foul things up!! UNREAL. Re-align the pushrod, adjust the lash and button her up! Wire was good. I swapped #6 to #1 to be sure -- fired right up. First time for everything as the saying goes.
Cheers

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode