Washer idea? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 11th, 05, 07:45 AM Thread Starter

Washer idea?

Hey guys,

One of my friends at my school wants to help me upgrade my car by putting washers between the spark plugs. And I was wondering if this would blow the engine or if it will really work?

Please help
Thanks

John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 11th, 05, 07:52 AM

Re: Washer idea?

Never heard of it.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 11th, 05, 07:59 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Cool Re: Washer idea?

What's your friends theory on Black Holes near the freeway off ramps... do they really cause you to be late to important meetings?

What washer manufactures would be good choices to buy stock in if this catches on ???

Dumbfounded in California

1968 Convertible
Some trucks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Other V8 things - some of which float
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Other V6 things - none of which float

Oh yeah, and 1 "Straight-Six" ...

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 11th, 05, 08:04 AM
Senior Tech

What do you mean by upgrade? And what engine are we talking about?
Along time ago, Moroso use to sell copper washers that went between the plugs and the head.
1- they were made of copper so you would get the crush/seal effect.
2- they were avaliable in flat and conical seat for the differant heads designs.
3- there design was so engine builders and tuners could align the electrode ground strap in the up position, Idea was engines with alot of high compression pistons would hit the tang of the plug and would close the gap and possibly cause serious engine damage.
I do not know if this is what you are refering too, but I just wouldnt think you would see any differance in performance?
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 11th, 05, 08:06 AM
Senior Tech

And they were also called Spark Plug indexing washers, And the pack contained all differant thinknesses. 1 pack came with like 50 washers. and in 5 or 6 differant sizes.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 11th, 05, 08:27 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Larry

Definately not worth the trouble. Even on the dyno, the results of any horse power increase are inconclusive.

Larry
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 11th, 05, 08:32 AM Thread Starter

Well the engine is a 95V6Camaro 3.8 Liter.

He says get performance spark plugs too im like ok?? cas I dont know that much about cars yet, this is my first year taking auto tech in school. But he also says that were should put custom made headers on the car too.... heh i dont know where this is going. But my dad said I wouldent trust him because the engine might blow. w/e any more comments?

John
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 11th, 05, 10:36 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

As others indicate using washers is a trick used to index the open end of the spark plug gap so it faces a certain direction. Each plug would require a different thickness of washer and you most likely would have to pull the heads to see that you did it right. It's a trick used by competive racers to give them that extra .001 sec or so. In your car that wouldn't mean anything...

Learn to know the difference in which friends to trust with their automotive advice and the ones not to trust. A friend that does all his own work and goes to the track and has one of the nicer cars around is gonna give better advice than the guy that shows up on a skateboard... Above all else ask your shop class instructor.

...Dennis

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 11th, 05, 10:43 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjD
you most likely would have to pull the heads to see that you did it right.
You can mark the outside of the plug to see where the electrode lines up after installing it with the washer.

(See why it's not worth it?) :-) and .001 second sure ain't much!

Larry
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 11th, 05, 10:51 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69-er
You can mark the outside of the plug to see where the electrode lines up after installing it with the washer.

Larry
shhhh... I know that, just wanted to see how far through this he was thinking.

...Dennis

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 11th, 05, 12:50 PM Thread Starter

well thanks for all the help guys, Im sure in hell not doin that now. I'm thinkin about just droppin a V8357 in there. Anyone know how much it would cost if i sold my v6 3.8?

John
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 11th, 05, 01:28 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

John - my guess is it would be less expensive to sell your V6 car and buy one with a V8 in it already.

...Dennis

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 11th, 05, 01:45 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the advise, ill be looking up camaros.

John
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 11th, 05, 04:30 PM

Smile Re: Washer idea?

Take a set of plugs and clip the ground terminal so that it is square lined up right with the edge of the center terminal!

This will create the max. spark, but they don't last as long b/c there isn't much left of the ground terminal to eventually burn back.

pdq67

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode