68 Camaro..327...M21...help with headers - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old Dec 11th, 05, 11:12 AM Thread Starter

68 Camaro..327...M21...help with headers

Ok, I plan on buying my dad a new pair of headers for xmas.

He already has longtubes on it. (They have been on it since he bought it back in 1976) Yea, its been sitting in the garage most its life. Its in damn good condition, runs awesome.

The headers are looking pretty bad. I honestly have no damn clue what brand they are or anything. They just need to go.

Id just like to get him a pair of coated longtubes. Ive been reading alot about people having fitment issues from various brands. Id really like to stay away from these problems. (Unless they are minor of course)

Ive been looking at the Dynomax Cerama-Coat headers. I am seeing mixed reviews on them, cant really find any pics of them. (acutal pics, not ones dynomax has)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old Dec 13th, 05, 07:17 AM
Senior Tech
Steve

Thumbs up Re: 68 Camaro..327...M21...help with headers

I used the 1 5/8" Hooker Super Comps on my '68 Z/28 with the original 302 and M-21. I bought the headers plain and then had them shipped to Jet-Hot for coating after a trial installation. As information, most header manufacturers only ceramic coat the outside of the tubes, that's why I sent mine to Jet-Hot as they do both in/out. The headers fit fine with no problems accessing the plugs. I used Stage 8 locking hardware and good exhaust gaskets and have not had any problem with leaks (http://www.stage8.com/). The headers still look new after three years.

I did have to fabricate a mounting bracket to match that of the original exhaust manifold for the alternator - I get a lot of nice comments on that piece. It allowed me to use the original two top brackets for the alternator as well for a stock looking appearance. The one-size-fits-all adapter is terrible looking, albeit functional. All in all, I'm happy with these headers, they look/fit great, added lots of low-end torque to the motor and the engine sounds great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode