What mods and conversions need for a 383 engine swap for my ss 97 camaro? HELP! - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 12th, 05, 03:41 PM Thread Starter

Question What mods and conversions need for a 383 engine swap for my ss 97 camaro? HELP!

I have a brand new 383 small block and was wondering if i needed to change anything else like fuel inj. radiator ect., If I just do a basic swap will there be any difference in performance?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 12th, 05, 03:52 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
Re: What mods and conversions need for a 383 engine swap for my ss 97 camaro? HELP!

Mostly 1st gen stuff here but give us more info and lets see if the guys can help. Is your stroker a modern LT1 that's been stroked or is it a retro carb'd engine?

...Dennis

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 12th, 05, 04:03 PM Thread Starter

Re: What mods and conversions need for a 383 engine swap for my ss 97 camaro? HELP!

modern lt 1 made bulletproof but can I use the heads and manifolds from my 350lt1 and still get performance gains and reliability my camaro is pretty much stock from slp 97ss

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 12th, 05, 04:06 PM Thread Starter

Im now unfortunately am on a budget and also will i need any type of computer programming and or chips?
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 12th, 05, 04:19 PM Thread Starter

So far all my mods are moderate and the car is pretty much stock, I got a 383 bored lt1 small block with all the good stuff from late model engines and basically need to know if it would work with my t56 six speed trans and all the other stock parts, I was thinking about a new radiator if my old radiator is unsufficient and lt 4 conversion kit (heads, cam, intake manifold) if needed and was wondering if i could use my stock exhaust manifolds. If I use my stock heads ect. and stock manifolds will it be any better than just leaving my original lt 1 350? price estimate for this swap? Please help
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 12th, 05, 06:51 PM
Senior Tech
Eric

Even if you use your original heads, intake, and cam I think you will still need to reprogram the computer.

Like Dennis said, we're mostly 1st gen carb-heads over here, but there are a few that might have some good info for you.

E85 racer and E85 carb builder

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

68 Camaro, E85 powered 427" small block. 9.96 @ 133 MPH, 1.319 sixty foot on motor. 5.92 eighth @ 116 with a 1.42 sixty breaking beams with back tire on the bottle
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 12th, 05, 07:47 PM
Senior Tech

A friend of mine converted his 350 TPI setup to a 383 TPI with larger runners. He installed slightly larger injectors (2lbs/hr larger than stock) a new fuel pump (for good pressure and reliability) and an adjustable pressure regulator. Then using info he obtained from http://www.thirdgen.org he reprogrammed the fuel and timing maps. He had an old laptop and installed free software he got from thirdgen to log data from and adjust the program. He had to buy an EEPROM programmer ($125), a special diag cable ($35), and a fuel pressure guage ($30). He eventually ended up building a wide band O2 setup for about ($125) which made tweaking the fuel trims much easier. After about 100 or so custom programs he got everything working great. You'll have to be a bit of a techi, do a little detective work and fabrication but you'll be in control.

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 13th, 05, 08:20 AM
Senior Tech
Tom

Talking Re: What mods and conversions need for a 383 engine swap for my ss 97 camaro? HELP!

http://www.ls1.com

69 Camaro -originally a LM1 car. 327, Edelbrock E-streets, hooker, DUI performance distributors, ultradyne cam, stewart, TRW etc. Vintage Air, AGR steering, Corbeau GTSII seats, 700R4 transmission, 12-bolt w/Eaton 4.11:1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode