motor mount question... - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 14th, 05, 05:56 PM Thread Starter

motor mount question...

I did search for this but could not find anything....

Should there be a gap between the motor mount and the pearch that the mount attaches to? I have like a good 1/4 to 3/8" gap or space between the width of the pearch and the width of the mount...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 14th, 05, 06:19 PM

Re: motor mount question...

I have the same gap on the passenger side of my 68, but I cant remember if it was on the drivers side too. Hangs off the rear of the subframe?
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 14th, 05, 06:28 PM Thread Starter

I am talking about a gap on the side of the mount between the pearch and the mount...here is a pic...

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 14th, 05, 06:28 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

The frame brackets do both hang off the back of the sub, but the engine bracket and frame stand should fit together tightly. There are 2 different types, 327-307are different from 350-302, see David's site for the details: http://www.pozziracing.com/camaro_engine.htm

hey, a pic appeared!!! looks like you have 350 engine mounts on 327 frame stands

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 14th, 05, 07:00 PM Thread Starter

Jim,

do you think it is the stand that is wrong? Will the motor mounts from a 327 bolt to the 350 motor? I guess that if I had the wrong motor mounts say from a 327 they would be too small for the 350 stand...

are you pretty sure it is the stand that is wrong?
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 15th, 05, 06:29 PM
Team Member
John

283's through 400's (plus big-blocks) all have exactly the same mount-to-block bolt pattern, but you have to match the other side of the mount to the frame stands, as they differ.

JohnZ
CRG
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 15th, 05, 06:57 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Robert

I'll add to what John said with you will not likely get the correct mounts from your local parts store. Identify the frame stands and then purchase the corresponding mounts from a major repro supplier like Rick's (or any of the others). I had the same problem (yet worse) on the '69 and after getting the "right stuff" there was no gap and the engine sat 1/2" higher than before, which was a good thing.

Robert

355ci 10:1, 64cc Edelbrocks, Comp Mag 280H, Performer RPM, 700r4 (2000 stall), 3.55 posi A/C PS PDB Hotchkis

369ci 10.3:1, 64cc Edelbrocks, Voodoo 276/284, Performer RPM, Holley 650DP ...T56 Magnum, 3.73 Moser 12 bolt
TC member #18
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 15th, 05, 09:57 PM
Senior Tech

I just went through this problem on my 69. After a long talk and much measuring with tech at Ricks First Gen. The
327 or low perf type frame bracket is their EB-4. The correct motor mount for this bracket is one that measures 1 11/16" from back to center line of the hole and is 2" in the saddle (between the mounts ears. I am using Moroso
steel mounts with Part #62500. Maybe this might help.
Larry
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 15th, 05, 11:13 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jody

You have 302/350 frame stands and 327/307 motor mounts. The low performance small blocks had a wider perch than the performance ones.

You need mounts for a 302/350 or frame stands for a 307/327.

Jody

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 16th, 05, 07:38 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camcojb
You have 302/350 frame stands and 327/307 motor mounts. The low performance small blocks had a wider perch than the performance ones.

You need mounts for a 302/350 or frame stands for a 307/327.

Jody

Jody,

Is there one or the other that will be better for me to get more clearance around the header/steering gear box?
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 16th, 05, 08:15 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jody

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liveinaz
Jody,

Is there one or the other that will be better for me to get more clearance around the header/steering gear box?

Good question. I'm not sure if there's any height or engine placement differences between the two; just the width of the perch which makes a situation like yours not good, too loose.

Jody

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 16th, 05, 03:15 PM

Talking Re: motor mount question...

Looks fairly typical to me. The tab will deflect when you tighten down the bolt. If it bothers you slip a washer in. Probably one of those parts now made in China.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 16th, 05, 03:52 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liveinaz
Jody,

Yes, with the correct mounts my engine sat 1/2" higher which added to the header clearence around the steering box as well as underneath. But I'll say again I was unable to get the "correct" mounts from a local parts store. The ones they showed me looked way different from the ones I got from Ricks.

Robert

355ci 10:1, 64cc Edelbrocks, Comp Mag 280H, Performer RPM, 700r4 (2000 stall), 3.55 posi A/C PS PDB Hotchkis

369ci 10.3:1, 64cc Edelbrocks, Voodoo 276/284, Performer RPM, Holley 650DP ...T56 Magnum, 3.73 Moser 12 bolt
TC member #18
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 16th, 05, 07:11 PM

Smile Re: motor mount question...

I would use a stock 350 rubber mount that first came out in '67.

It is the little one over on the left in David's pic's. It isn't locked together so it will break real easy!!!

I broke both mine shortly after I got my car and all I did was take them both off and drill a 3/8" hole through both halves and countersink one side and then I used a 3/8" countersunk head machine bolt and a nut and lockwasher and bolted BOTH halves back together!! Worked great AND it did away with my homemade chain/turnbuckle torque limiter....

I got my motor mount recall letter from GM about then and after the way the Dealer jerked me around, I didn't take my car back to replace them with the safety-loc ones b/c mine worked great from there on!!

They were still on my car after going through my 350, my 409 "W" motor and finally my old junk301 when I traded it off..

pdq67

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode