Vacuums Hook up ? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 15th, 05, 05:52 AM Thread Starter

Vacuums Hook up ?

I just got the new Dist and Edelbrock Carb. Kinda confused as to where the vac lines go. The Holley thats on right now just has one line coming from the valve cover. If I take that and hook it up to the front of the Edelbrock do I need to hook a line from the Dist to the ported hook up or leave it out? As well is the dist ported or Full time?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 15th, 05, 08:30 AM
Senior Tech
Steven

Re: Vacuums Hook up ?

The valve-cover hook-up s your PCV valve. Connect that. If you distributor has a vacuum canister on it, then hook up that also. Start with the ported connection and see how the car drives ... Some people do use full tme vacuum, but t really depends on what your engine "likes". Be sure to plug any carb ports that you do not connect to anything. Also, pay attention to the position of the rotor as when you prepare to swap the distributor. The rotor will slightly rotate as the distributor is being lifted. Use that to orient how to initially align the rotor on the new dist when putting it back in. Now, it may not drop totally in because the oil-pump drive may not be oriented the same. That's okay because once you bump the starter, it will drop the rest of the way in ... Use new gasket on the carb base and make sure that the fuel line is tight and the linkage s not binding ... It is going to take a little cranking before it starts because the carb is empty
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 15th, 05, 08:44 AM
Senior Tech
Dave

I prefer to use "manifold" vacuum for the distributor vacuum advance. Manifold vacuum will have vacuum at idle and part-throttle/light load conditions, but as soon as you hit the go-pedal, the vacuum will disappear and you will be running on mechanical advance only. The higher timing advance with manifold vacuum will help engine idle.

Of course, if you are seeking to have a more choppy idle, then use the "ported" vacuum connections on the carb (one with no vacuum at idle). This will allow you to operate at the base mechanical timing at idle, but will kick in some vacuum advance as you start driving.

Experiment with the ported versus manifold vacuum lines and see which you prefer. Also, your new dist probably has adjustable vacuum advance, so if you're pinging you can retard it a little.

--

--

Dave F. in Rhode Island
'68 Camaro SS Accel DFI 454 (SOLD - I'm a boring Corvette owner now)
Bought my first big-block Chevy in 1970

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 15th, 05, 07:27 PM Thread Starter

just finished putting in the NEW dist no spark to any of the wires. I had a message post earlier with the same problem so I changed out the dist. Dropped it in, lined it up,cap on right,#1 hooked up right. The starter wire to the dist is hot, Battery charger hooked up to ensure ample power, cant figure it out. Engines turning I have fuel not even a putter. Am I missing something. One bad plug or wire wouldn't prevent spark to the others? Any advice would really help keep me from going bald.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 16th, 05, 08:18 AM
Senior Tech
Dave

Easy way to check for spark is simply take wire off any spark plug, stick philips head screwdriver in wire end and hold metal driver shaft close to block, then crank engine over with key. A decent spark should be able to jump about 1/4 inch with no problem. Of course, make sure you hold the plastic handle, or you'll get zapped.

Also, you sure dist is in correctly? Did you take plug out of #1 cylinder and rotate engine until you feel compression (stick finger in hole), then rotate engine and stop exactly at TDC (using timing marks on damper and timing cover). Then you install dist, making sure it seats all the way down (engaging oil pump). Then make double-sure #1 wire on cap lines up with #1 cylinder and firing order is correct. It's very easy to be 180 degrees out of phase with dist installation.

Dave F. in Rhode Island
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 16th, 05, 10:03 AM Thread Starter

I checked to see if the timing light was working on anther car and it was good but Ill do the screwdriver thing to double check. Dist is seated right, rotor turning, #1 hooked up on cap right, followed firing order,I got pressure when I set TDC the only thing that was kinda funny was there was a painted target stamp "looked like manufactures" that was on 0 not the notch in the dampner itself that Im use to being at 0. Is there a way to see if Im getting spark out of the Dist cap some tool, meathod?
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 16th, 05, 10:09 AM
Senior Tech
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 383 chevy
.......Is there a way to see if Im getting spark out of the Dist cap some tool, meathod?
Do the screwdriver in the wire trick that I describe above, that will tell you if you have spark. It will NOT tell you if the spark is properly timed, but at least you'll see if you are making a spark.

Dave F. in Rhode Island
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode