HEI clearance on B/B - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 15th, 05, 01:41 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

HEI clearance on B/B

Can anyone tell me if I install a HEI distributor on my 402 , in my 69 camaro, will I have enought clearance from the firewall? The motor is currently out of the car. I'm using stock B/B motor mounts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 15th, 05, 01:43 PM
Team Member
Christropher

Re: HEI clearance on B/B

Quote:
Originally Posted by utility5
Can anyone tell me if I install a HEI distributor on my 402 , in my 69 camaro, will I have enought clearance from the firewall? The motor is currently out of the car. I'm using stock B/B motor mounts.
Do you mean with or without the aid of a BFH?

Christropher

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
...in pieces still.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MrDanB - "Don't worry about Mr.Wilcox...He has that incurable disease of thinking that they only made the Camaro in '67
"
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 15th, 05, 01:53 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

sorry, what is a BFH?

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 15th, 05, 02:00 PM
Senior Tech
Mark

Big F'ing hammer.

I dont believe so.. I know even with my 350 my firewall had to be "massaged" so it would fit. Im converting over to an MSD distributor so I shouldnt have that problem any further.

Mark
Long Gone: 1984 Z28, 1989 RS
Current : 1967 Coupe w/350, 2010 2SS

My Photobucket >>
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 15th, 05, 02:02 PM
Senior Tech
Dave

Yeah, I thought about hammering a clearance into the firewall when I put a 454 into my '68, but I didn't do it. I ended up buying a smaller distributor. The HEI wouldn't fit.

Dave F. in Rhode Island
'68 Camaro SS Accel DFI 454 (SOLD - I'm a boring Corvette owner now)
Bought my first big-block Chevy in 1970
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 15th, 05, 02:34 PM
Team Member
Christropher

As other's have noted, there are other options to get an electronic distribution besides HEI. While HEI is good, they are really just too big for our cars. The only way it really fits "well" is with a small block on the 307/327 motor mount stands.

Christropher

...in pieces still.

MrDanB - "Don't worry about Mr.Wilcox...He has that incurable disease of thinking that they only made the Camaro in '67
"
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 15th, 05, 03:02 PM
Senior Tech
Chris

Put a small cap HEI in there. FYI, the distributor on a big block sits a little futher forward than on a small block.

The 468 in my Chevelle has ample room for an HEI whereas the small block I had in there prior was a tight fit.

Performance Distibutors, Accell, MSD and others sell small cap HEI's.

1967 Chevelle 496BB/TH400/Dana-60 (Show and Go)
1967 El Camino 388SB/700R4/12-bolt posi (Daily Driver)
1967 C10 Short-Wide 496BB/TH400/12-bolt (The Shop Truck)
2008 Harley Davidson Dyna Low Rider

Chris @
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 15th, 05, 03:32 PM
Senior Tech
Bob

You should have no problems putting an HEI in. I have a Mallory 9000 in my 69 with that big honkin cap and wire retainer ring on it and I can fit my fingers between it and the firewall. I have all the correct big block parts on my 69 though.

Bob
Garnet Red 69/SS396/TH400/355 Posi Sold
'02 triple blk Vette Vert. now
94 HD Dyna Wideglide
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 15th, 05, 08:28 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I just looked-up the numbers on my distributor. It appears it is from a 1978 305/145HP stock GM. The motor I had rebuilt is a 1971 402 - 30 over - balanced - forged pistons - slightly polished stock heads - edilbrock performer intake - stock 69 396 325 HP Quadra jet. The engine rebuilder said it should easily develop 350 HP. The question now is, is this stock distributor any good for this application. M20 with 307 rear end. Any replies would be appreciated.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 16th, 05, 07:35 AM
Senior Tech
Steve

Send a message via Yahoo to camaronut79

what shape is the cap, rotor, and coil in? put a good coil, cap and rotor on it and it should be fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode