How Much To Build Engine? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 05, 12:20 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Steve

Send a message via Yahoo to camaronut79
How Much To Build Engine?

Hi I was wondering how much your average engine builder would charge to build a 402 bbc short block if I have all the parts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 05, 09:25 AM

Re: Hoe Much To Build Engine?

Clean 80.00
mag 75.00
align hone 180.00
bore with plate 155.00
hone with plate 155.00
clean for assembly 50.00
install cam bearings 45.00
Balance 225.00
degrease crank 25.00
cut crank 145.00
mag crank 35.00
clean crank for assembley 20.00
press pistons off rods 18.00
mag rods 25.00
recon rods 135.00
wash rods assembley 20.00
thermal fit pistons 60.00
assemble short block and check all clearances 375.00
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 05, 03:21 PM
Bill

Re: How Much To Build Engine?

nut,
Just want to add that I don't know about Mike, but personally I will not assemble an engine with customer supplied parts except for some very rare or unusual ones. Sort of like bringing the steak and potatoes you bought at the grocery store to Outback and asking them to cook it for you

Bill Koustenis
Owner
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md
1971 Chevelle "Heavy Chevy" original owner

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 05, 04:39 PM
Senior Tech
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillK
nut,
Just want to add that I don't know about Mike, but personally I will not assemble an engine with customer supplied parts except for some very rare or unusual ones. Sort of like bringing the steak and potatoes you bought at the grocery store to Outback and asking them to cook it for you
I can maybe understand this if the guy is bringing in a new Callies crank and SRP pistons, Lunati cam, etc, etc all in factory boxes; but a lot of us buy an engine that's simply in pieces. It may all be there, but just needs machining, checking, balancing, etc. Surely you wouldn't have an issue with that??

-

-

Dave F. in Rhode Island
'68 Camaro SS Accel DFI 454 (SOLD - I'm a boring Corvette owner now)
Bought my first big-block Chevy in 1970
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 05, 05:17 PM
Bill

ss,
If I assembled an engine that you bought in pieces, and one of the parts failed .... would you expect me to stand behind it ? Most customers do expect it, no matter who supplied the parts. If I cannot make any money selling the parts, I cannot make enough profit on the job to justify warrantying it. If I dont feel I can stand behind it 100%, I am not going to do it ... period. Some guys say "well just charge more labor to make up for it" That makes for nothing but hard feelings. We are one of the few industries where customers do not understand that. If you want to buy your own parts, then you should be prepared to do your own assembly, in my opinion. If you are talking about buying a previously run engine in pieces, well thats even worse. They are almost always in a lot worse condition than guys think, and then they dont understand when you tell them how much it will be to correct and replace everything. Another no win situation

Bill Koustenis
Owner
Waldorf Md

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 05, 05:39 PM
Senior Tech
Dave

BillK, I'm not talking about buying my own parts. It sounds like you won't even perform an overhaul of an existing engine, which doesn't make sense to me. If I have a perfectly good-running 454 that needs freshening up, I don't necessarily want to buy all new crank, pistons, etc.

No big deal. It's your shop. You can certainly do whatever you want..........

-

Dave F. in Rhode Island
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 05, 05:42 PM
Team Member
Christropher

I think you two are misunderstanding each other.

Christropher

...in pieces still.

MrDanB - "Don't worry about Mr.Wilcox...He has that incurable disease of thinking that they only made the Camaro in '67
"
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 05, 05:51 PM
Senior Tech
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by clwilcox33
I think you two are misunderstanding each other.
I gotta believe you are correct!

-

Dave F. in Rhode Island
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 05, 06:28 PM
Bill

ss,
Thats not what I was talking about. Yes I will do a freshen up, but thats not what you asked. You were talking about an engine purchased in pieces and needing machining and assembly ... thats a lot different than freshening up a known good running engine.

Bill Koustenis
Owner
Waldorf Md

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 05, 07:06 PM
Team Member
Christropher

Quote:
ss,
Thats not what I was talking about. Yes I will do a freshen up, but thats not what you asked. You were talking about an engine purchased in pieces and needing machining and assembly ... thats a lot different than freshening up a known good running engine.
That's what I understood you as saying, I knew it was a misunderstanding.

Christropher

...in pieces still.

MrDanB - "Don't worry about Mr.Wilcox...He has that incurable disease of thinking that they only made the Camaro in '67
"
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 05, 07:09 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Steve

thanks for the replies the engine was dissassembled when I got it but all the stock parts were there the onlything I did was buy a comp cam and timing chain
and a set of recond rods.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 05, 07:09 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Steve

I guess I should just try and build it myself
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 05, 07:13 PM

Due to the nature of the use of performance engines i will not warrent them whether you bring your own parts or not. most of the time they will tell you it is for the street and next thing you know they are at the track with it running the crap out of it.

Now if it is a resto engine that is going into a numbers matching car i will give a warrenty and a real nice one.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old Dec 18th, 05, 06:44 AM
Senior Tech
Dave

Quote:
ss,
Sorry if I misunderstand. It's no big deal either way. All I know is that I often purchase (and sell) engines in pieces (dis-assembled). 99% of the time, these are good running engines that just need overhauling and re-assembly.

As it turns out, the starter of this thread has done the same thing.

Camaronut79, most shops that I know will happily do all the machine work, checking, honing, balancing, etc; then you can re-assemble the engine yourself or let them do it.

-

Dave F. in Rhode Island
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old Dec 18th, 05, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogers Performance
Due to the nature of the use of performance engines i will not warrent them whether you bring your own parts or not. most of the time they will tell you it is for the street and next thing you know they are at the track with it running the crap out of it.

Now if it is a resto engine that is going into a numbers matching car i will give a warrenty and a real nice one.
This is typical here also. No one likes building engines with old parts for performance usage. Here there just isn't a big enough market locally to only accept jobs with new parts only. Here the use of old parts is discussed with the customer before any work is performed. But you still see some asking for a 350hp motor and you see it at the track with a 250hp shot on it. Actually some have had the nerve to bring it back and say it just blew and want it replaced. The machine shops are at a big disadvantage and have to do what they can to avoid bad publicity. No Warranty on any performance engine is correct here also. But in some cases but not always the customer buys new parts and the shop does the labor at no cost if there was a legit issue. Its really a tough situation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode