motor mount problem need help!! - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 05, 10:03 AM Thread Starter

Question motor mount problem need help!!

Hi, I have a 1967 camaro which had a small block 4 speed in it. I have a generation six 502 which I want to install in my camaro, what motor mounts can I use to make it fit right ? I have changed the mount brackets on the frame to the big block brackets. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 05, 10:27 AM
Senior Tech
Harley D

Re: motor mount problem need help!!

That should be all you need. At least that's all on a second gen. Nova. "same sub-frame. With the tall deck the headers will be tight around the power steering box. Hooker Super Comps fit well though. That 502 is a great platform. Lots of power potential.

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."-Dr. Seuss
We learn life's important lessons in kindergarten.

Harley D
'67 coupe 427SBC
60'1.728
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1/[email protected]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 05, 10:29 AM
Senior Tech
Tony

You have to get the correct original big block motor mounts in order to get the proper clearance. Your old small block mounts will not work properly even though you changed your frame brackets. Rick's First Generation has the correct poly mounts for about 65.00 bucks. Good luck.

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 05, 12:17 PM Thread Starter

Thank you for your responce. The motor mounts that I have are big block mounts but the bolts that attach the mount to the brackets will only let me drive the bolt in on one side.The other side will not align, the mount will sit higher almost like you have to push down on the motor so it can line up but there is no give. Do you have a web sight where I can purchace the right ones. Thanks
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 05, 02:42 PM
Senior Tech
Bob

Something is wrong. Are you sure that you don't have oil pan interference or something else? With big block frame stands and engine mounts that big block should sit right in place so that you could slide/tap the mount bolts in. What are the part numbers on the frame stands?

Bob
Garnet Red 69/SS396/TH400/355 Posi Sold
'02 triple blk Vette Vert. now
94 HD Dyna Wideglide
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 05, 03:19 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy Re: motor mount problem need help!!

I did change the oil pan to a milodon oil pan which takes care of the clearance problem. Maybe they sold me the wrong mounts? The mounts that I have are not interlocking they only have rubber in the middle sandwiched by two metal plates which one side has three holes for the block bolts and the otherside has a u shaped end with a hole on each side that goes over the bracket. That u shaped end seems like it is too tight fitting over the bracket almost like it needs to forced to fit. I realy do not think they are right, but all the parts stores tell me that they are the only mounts for a big block. I bought the engine stands at a swap meet from Ground up Restoration and the diffrence from the stands that I bought and the stands that were in the car is that one of the stands is smaller so I have one stand that is smaller than the other. The rep told me that these are the correct stands for a big block.

Last edited by joer4934; Dec 17th, 05 at 03:53 PM.
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 05, 04:06 PM
Senior Tech
Tom

Big Block frame mounts (and small blocks too) are of the short and wide or tall and narrow kind. You are most likely using tall and narrow frame mounts but you are using short and wide engine mounts. They won't mix. Get the right motor mounts, tall and narrow for a 69' should be what you need. ( There are 67-68 frame mounts and 69 frame mounts.)

69 Camaro -originally a LM1 car. 327, Edelbrock E-streets, hooker, DUI performance distributors, ultradyne cam, stewart, TRW etc. Vintage Air, AGR steering, Corbeau GTSII seats, 700R4 transmission, 12-bolt w/Eaton 4.11:1
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 05, 10:48 PM
Senior Tech

You will need a big block crossmember and clutch Z bar to go with the offset big block mounts.
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old Dec 18th, 05, 06:10 AM
Senior Tech
Dave

Joer4934, I'm gonna guess you got the wrong frame mounts. I had the EXACT same problem with a buddy's car a few years back.

Here's some pics (of my mounts, NOT my buddy's 69 referenced in previous sentence). I have a '68 with 454. The correct mounts are 1.75" from flat to center of hole. If they are not lining up, then you probably have the '69 frame mounts in there, which are shorter than the 67-68 frame mounts. Personally, I would not get the poly mounts. If you look at the poly mount in the pics below, you can see that it has collapsed. The poly has all seperated from the metal. I ran that mount for no more than 500 miles. I'm sure there are guys that have used poly mounts with success, and maybe this is a rare problem, but poly mounts aren't too dependable, IMO. Of course, even when they fail, they don't allow engine to lift, so that's good. But virtually all mounts will have safety tabs now.

I have just freshened up my engine and this time I am going to use original GM mounts. I managed to find original GM mounts at Classic Industries; http://www.classicindustries.com/ part #G7266, for about $75 each. The G7266 mount is shown in the bottom two pics, on the far right side. Classic Industries often uses coupons or discounts so you might save a few bucks if you can find one.

The mounts in these pics below will work for a 67-68 big block that has the correct frame mounts.

Dave F. in Rhode Island
'68 Camaro SS Accel DFI 454 (SOLD - I'm a boring Corvette owner now)
Bought my first big-block Chevy in 1970

Last edited by Chevy-SS; Dec 19th, 05 at 06:35 AM.
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old Dec 18th, 05, 07:26 AM
Senior Tech
Bob

I bought my 69 BB engine mounts right from the good old Chevy dealer. Still an available part.

Bob
94 HD Dyna Wideglide
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old Dec 18th, 05, 02:12 PM
Senior Tech
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by phel69
I bought my 69 BB engine mounts right from the good old Chevy dealer. Still an available part.
You got a good dealer there. I went to local Chevy dealer and the guy was lost. Spent 15 minutes looking in old books, couldn't find anything at all.

Dave F. in Rhode Island
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old Dec 18th, 05, 03:29 PM
Senior Tech
Tom

Smile Re: motor mount problem need help!!

Yes Chevy-SS your dimension of 1 3/4 is correct for 67 and 68 frame mounts. For 1969 frame mounts 2 3/16 is the dimension for correct engine mounts. It all depends on what year the frame stands are.

69 Camaro -originally a LM1 car. 327, Edelbrock E-streets, hooker, DUI performance distributors, ultradyne cam, stewart, TRW etc. Vintage Air, AGR steering, Corbeau GTSII seats, 700R4 transmission, 12-bolt w/Eaton 4.11:1
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old Dec 18th, 05, 05:59 PM
Senior Tech
Jimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69cama
You will need a big block crossmember and clutch Z bar to go with the offset big block mounts.
I too am having the same motor mount problem. I have the energy suspension engine mounts. Can anyone measure there frame mounts for a width and height. Myhooker headers are also hitting the steering box. Can someone help. First time in a chat room. Thanks for anyones help.
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old Dec 18th, 05, 06:07 PM
Senior Tech
Bob

Chevy-SS,
I went to Loehmann-Blasius Chevrolet in Waterbury, Ct. The guy was good. He told me before he looked that he thught they were available. Ther are a couple of Chevy dealers in this area that have good parts guys that like the older cars and will help with researching part numbers. Some guys today don't want to bother.

Bob
94 HD Dyna Wideglide
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old Dec 19th, 05, 06:36 AM
Senior Tech
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by phel69
Chevy-SS,
I went to Loehmann-Blasius Chevrolet in Waterbury, Ct. The guy was good. He told me before he looked that he thught they were available. Ther are a couple of Chevy dealers in this area that have good parts guys that like the older cars and will help with researching part numbers. Some guys today don't want to bother.
How much did you pay for mounts at the dealer?

Dave F. in Rhode Island
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode