Found needle bearing in engine. - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 05, 08:13 PM Thread Starter

Question Found needle bearing in engine.

Replaced the rear oil seal in engine and found a needle bearing. Where
could it have come from and how do I fix it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 05, 08:29 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jody

Re: Found needle bearing in engine.

Roller rocker, roller lifter, cam gear thrust plate (if needle bearing type).

Jody

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 05, 10:42 PM
Senior Tech
Royce

If you have a roller cam, I wouldn't even start the car until you found out where that bearing came from. I guess no matter where it came from running the engine wouldn't be a good idea.

Royce (NO XQSSS) Bradley

(brief sound/video clip, 3 1/2" exhaust through Borla Sportsman mufflers)

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old Dec 18th, 05, 06:49 AM
Senior Tech
Dave

Don't run engine anymore. You gotta find out where it came from. A buddy blew up his race-prepped (expensive!) 502 because needle bearings fell out. If you've had one fall out already, then that means a bunch more will probably fall out soon, as something is failing. Maybe they already fell out and are lodged in oil galley just waiting to blow up your engine.

As stated above, could be rocker, lifter or cam thrust plate, wherever you've got needle bearings.

-

Dave F. in Rhode Island
'68 Camaro SS Accel DFI 454 (SOLD - I'm a boring Corvette owner now)
Bought my first big-block Chevy in 1970
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old Dec 18th, 05, 11:07 AM
Senior Tech
67 Camaros Rock

If it's a four speed and you don't have a brass pilot bearing it could be froma roller bearing pilot bearing in the end og the crank? If it's an auto trans did it have a four speed? Did the engine get rebuilt and still have roller bearing pilot bearing in the crank? It's not something that would have to be removed to run a flex plate and auto trans. If it's just sitting there it's probebly coming apart.

Joe

"If you can leave black marks on a straight from the time you exit a corner till the time you brake for the next turn.......
Then, you have enough horsepower."
-Mark Donahue
My 67 Camaro Time Line
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old Dec 18th, 05, 02:43 PM
Senior Tech
Royce

One way to help tell where it came from is by it's size. How long is it? are both ends smooth or is it broken off (jagged on the end)? The thrust plate bearings are short. Roller rockers will depend on the style and make as will the lifter bearings. Did you hear any funny noises? (chirping, etc...). When I had a roller lifter fail, it would make a chirping noise every once in a while, very hard to find or describe. Needle bearing will do a number on your engine, it did on mine.

Royce (NO XQSSS) Bradley

(brief sound/video clip, 3 1/2" exhaust through Borla Sportsman mufflers)
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old Dec 18th, 05, 07:25 PM
Bill

Allen,
Where exactly did you find the roller ? Which engine do you have ?

Bill Koustenis
Owner
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md
1971 Chevelle "Heavy Chevy" original owner

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old Dec 21st, 05, 09:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillK
Allen,
Where exactly did you find the roller ? Which engine do you have ?
Found it in the oil pan and have a LT1 engine.

Allan
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old Dec 22nd, 05, 10:51 AM
Bill

Allen,
About the only thing I can think of with a roller bearing in a LT1 would be a lifter. I would say its time to pull the intake and take a look at the lifters first.

Bill Koustenis
Owner
Waldorf Md

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old Dec 22nd, 05, 11:24 AM
Senior Tech

Seems like on some of the later LS1 or LT1 F-body engines, GM had a recall notice on the roller rockers or lifters.

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old Dec 22nd, 05, 11:45 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jeff

Garage

Maybe it has a roller bearing block protector behind the timing chain gear?

Jeff

- 400 Dart Little"M", SRP 10.2:1, 4340 Scat rotating Assy, Solid Roller, AFR 210 Eliminators, Jesel shaft rockers,Super vic, Prosystems 847CFM, Tko600, 12 bolt 4:10 Eaton posi W/ Strange Hy-Tuf race axles and eliminators.
Best E.T. (11.96 @ 118.06) N/A

Classic Copper 4 Spd

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old Dec 22nd, 05, 07:50 PM
Bill

Dave,
The "recall" was on the LS1's. The LT1's dont come with roller rockers from the factory. Only other thing I dont know about is if the distributor up in front has any type of roller bearings in it.

Bill Koustenis
Owner
Waldorf Md

post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old Dec 23rd, 05, 07:01 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

I believe JC Dubs has it, Isn't there a flat Torrington type bearing and race behind the cam to keep wear off block? Other than that,, early and LT1 do not have that type of beaing inside of motor, unless you have needle roller rockers? .

Don
TC # 349
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E Owner since Dec 1968

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old Dec 23rd, 05, 01:45 PM
Senior Tech
Brett

I work for Timken and I work on the product line that makes the roller lifters. If you can give me the dimensions I can tell you if it came from there. I doubt it came from the roller lifters because we have never had any failures reported. Believe me they complain about every little thing!

Brett
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old Dec 23rd, 05, 05:36 PM

Cool Re: Found needle bearing in engine.

Ya'll may laugh, but when i rebuilt the engine in my truck (didn't like 7,000, i know... i know..) I pulled the engine, pulled the carb, then manifold, and lone behold, i found a set of vice grips, and the old carb bracket. The bolt to the vice grips was in the oil pan, and a hose clamp was inside the fuel pump. Now i have no idea how all that stuff got there... other than carelessness by the person who rebuilt it before me (maybe that is why all eight connecting rod bearings turned?). Anyways, i guess this is off topic, but figured maybe somebody would get a good laugh.
Shane
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode