What headers to buy? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old Dec 19th, 05, 11:32 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Brad

Question What headers to buy?

I just picked up a matching numbers 1968 Z28/RS. It's got the orginial exhaust manifolds, but I've been thinking of putting those up and buying a nice set of headers. I bought the car to enjoy, and I'm thinking the ambiance of some nice headers will help The car does not have the smog system.

Any recommendations on the "perfect header" to buy for easy installation? I won't cut/hack any part of the car for to install them. This is pretty much the only modification I'm willing to do to the car to keep it original. The prior owner put a flowmaster OEM type muffler in recently, so it's basically just doing the headers.

I was told to go with "shorty" headers for an easier installation and improved ground clearance.

Any input greatly appreciated.

Camaroless and hating it
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 05, 12:09 AM
Senior Tech
Harley D

Re: What headers to buy?

You say you don't want to modify anything. Does that include the exhaust? Because long tube header would require cutting off the exhaust flanges. I don't think the shorty's do. As for ground clearance. If it's still all stock you shouldn't have too much trouble with long tube headers. Personally I like Hooker Competition Headers. Low cost, good performance, and a good fit. I would recommend getting the coated ones but, if price is an issue then go with the painted ones. Here's a link to Summit, But you could get them at Jegs and other mail order and local parts stores.
http://store.summitracing.com/defaul...9&autoview=sku
http://store.summitracing.com/defaul...rsview=sku&Ns=

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."-Dr. Seuss
We learn life's important lessons in kindergarten.

Harley D
'67 coupe 427SBC
60'1.728
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1/[email protected]

post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 05, 06:08 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Robert

Shorty headers are usually a problem with a 4 speed due to the z bar being in the way. Do your research well if you intend to buy shorties, I doubt you'll find very many offerings that will work.

Robert

355ci 10:1, 64cc Edelbrocks, Comp Mag 280H, Performer RPM, 700r4 (2000 stall), 3.55 posi A/C PS PDB Hotchkis

369ci 10.3:1, 64cc Edelbrocks, Voodoo 276/284, Performer RPM, Holley 650DP ...T56 Magnum, 3.73 Moser 12 bolt
TC member #18

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 05, 06:17 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Brad

Shorty's were recommended from Classic Camaro when I was down picking up some replacement light bulbs.

Camaroless and hating it
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 05, 08:10 AM
Senior Tech

You wil have to delete the reverse lock linkage to the column and then you will have no backup lights. You can modify the linkage but it will ruin it. I bought an aftermarket one to modify and use with my Hooker Super Comps. They fit nice.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 05, 08:19 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

I used Hooker 2451 small tube , they clear ps but seem to hang low on driver side. I pulled them and went to Thorley 376 Y1 , which fit even better and tuck under a low Z. Only issue with them is the collector is 2 1/2 where others are 3" but you are gonna reduce anyway to either your stock pipes or aftermarket. I used the Flomaster 17104K with the transverse ( behind the axle ) muffler. These are 2 1/2" all way out back.

Don
TC # 349
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E Owner since Dec 1968

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 05, 11:16 AM
Senior Tech
Berry

Talking Re: What headers to buy?

I just got my exhaust done this weekend and I got the Hooker super competition headers from jet hot AWESOME product but little expensive around $600 but they coat both the inside and outside, cant complain fit perfectly just needed longer altenator belt for the new bracket for the altenator and it cleared everything including the power steering, also got an x pipe going to flowmaster super 40 mufflers. the only problem I have is the headers are a little lower than the frame and the flanges may scrape on speed bumps if you go to fast but if you just roll over them no problem other than that cant complain one bit sounds NICE at idle but tones down while driving highly reccommended, I love it, true muscle car sound and insane power gain but gas goes a little faster hehe!!!
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 05, 11:42 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

Just for reference,, Were they 2131's or 2451's?

Don
TC # 349
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E Owner since Dec 1968

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 05, 12:38 PM
Senior Tech
Berry

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 05, 06:05 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

Thats what I had for a long time,, great but when the car ran across a speed bump,, had to go slow and at angle ,, . Thats why I recently went to thorleys as I took all spacers out of my off road springs and its at the stock curb height now.

Don
TC # 349

post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old Dec 21st, 05, 12:46 PM
Senior Tech

I love the fit of my Thorely 376Y1-C tri-Y headers. But I am running an automatic on my 68.

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old Dec 22nd, 05, 06:28 AM
Senior Tech

I have the Dynomax headers coated with Jet Hot. These headers have fit well and look great. Good buy in my opinion.

67 Camaro with 388 with Edleborck RPM heads, Air Gap, CC 282S, Tremec TKO
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old Dec 22nd, 05, 06:55 AM
Senior Tech
Dave

I have hedman 1 and 5/8 coated headers on my 69z28. Shortys don't usually work with the reverse back drive linkage. I don't have it on my 69 so I didn't have to worry about it. If you remove the linkage you will have to rig up a reverse light switch. One more thing to consider is that the clutch pedal spring may be in the way. I was able to snake it through the headers, some brands aren't as easy. good luck.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 06, 10:03 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Brad

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyD67
You say you don't want to modify anything. Does that include the exhaust? Because long tube header would require cutting off the exhaust flanges. I don't think the shorty's do. As for ground clearance. If it's still all stock you shouldn't have too much trouble with long tube headers. Personally I like Hooker Competition Headers. Low cost, good performance, and a good fit. I would recommend getting the coated ones but, if price is an issue then go with the painted ones. Here's a link to Summit, But you could get them at Jegs and other mail order and local parts stores.
http://store.summitracing.com/defaul...9&autoview=sku

Where are the exhaust flanges that need to be cut off? Is this attached to the current exhaust manifolds or are you referring to the collectors? Sorry, still new to engines...

Aside from the price, what are the benefits from coated headers? Is it worth the extra money? I'm still wondering if i should go with Doug Thorley 376Y1 or Hooker? I guess with the Z28 I'll need more low end torque to get started, since the power band is high RPMS?

Camaroless and hating it
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 06, 11:31 PM

I haven't used them but I saw these and thought if the pic was correct they seem to be in between a short shorty and a full length. They might be the best of both worlds. Clearance down low and better performance possibly than a short shorty.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode