Cowl Induction Kit Doesn't Fit - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 05, 03:55 AM Thread Starter
Team Member

Cowl Induction Kit Doesn't Fit

Damn.

I bought Classic Industries Cowl Induction kit.
My 69 already had a steel cowl hood.

I should have measured the height of my Edelbrock Performer RPM intake.
It's too tall and the hood won't close with the cowl unit installed.

Does anyone know a work around for this problem ?
Swap the intake or have a center section cut and rewelded I suppose.
I have a feeling I'm stuck with a cowl kit I can't use.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 05, 04:20 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

Re: Cowl Induction Kit Doesn't Fit

What size spacer are you using on the air cleaner between the filter body and the metal ring under the rubber seal? The Performer RPM can't be much taller than the stock Z28 intake can it? If you've got the tall 350 spacer get the shorter Z28 spacer (about 1" difference in height) or take the spacer off completely.

Mark Canning
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 05, 04:32 AM Thread Starter
Team Member

Thanks very much for the reply Mark.

I was looking at the cowl tub last night wondering if it came apart.
I thought the lower tub, spacer, and upper ring were welded together.. No ?
I do see a bead of silicone around the joint of the tub to the spacer.
Do these halves pry apart ?

Thanks again Mark.
I'm really hoping to use this kit with my existing intake.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 05, 06:41 AM
Kevin

tub, spacer and ring are 3 different pieces. Pull them apart! Then see how much clearance you have.

Kevin

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 05, 07:37 AM Thread Starter
Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinW
tub, spacer and ring are 3 different pieces. Pull them apart! Then see how much clearance you have.
Oops. Duh Me !

I took another look at the catalog and see that different spacers are available for the Cowl Induction kit.
I'll take the spacer out tonight and measure clearance with the old Silly Putty trick.

Any hints on seperating the tub and spacer with minimal damage ?
No welds right ? Just a mechanical connection and a silicone caulk seal ?
I'm guessing prying apart near the distributor location (hide possible scratches) with a plasic tool. Sound good ?

Thanks again for the input guys.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 05, 07:55 AM
Senior Tech
Dave

Let us know how you make out. I have the same intake, and would like to add the aircleaner later on.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 05, 08:24 AM
Kevin

The ring just lays on top, someone must have glued it on, remove glue best you can. Spacer is just a push on tight fit. Without glue you can just pull it off evenly around the rim with your hand.

Kevin

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 05, 10:24 AM Thread Starter
Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinW
The ring just lays on top, someone must have glued it on, remove glue best you can. Spacer is just a push on tight fit. Without glue you can just pull it off evenly around the rim with your hand.
Thanks Kevin,

I guess Classic Industries assembles the tub, spacer and lip and seals them with silicone. I'll try to carefully seperate the pieces tonight.

Dave, I'll let you know how it works out.
I have the Performer RPM with a Holley 1460.
It's starting to sound like I should have ordered the 302 spec kit, becasue the 302 spacer is 2" as opposed to 2 3/4" for the 350 kit.

Last edited by markr; Dec 20th, 05 at 11:03 AM.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old Dec 21st, 05, 06:56 AM
Senior Tech
Dave

Thanks I appreciate it. I'm running the performer rpm vortec with a 4150 so the height should be the same or real close.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old Dec 21st, 05, 12:52 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

Have been running the cowl ind kit with out the spacer ring on both stock Z and now Rpm Airgap. Had to leave out the spacer,, crushes the seal to much and hits under hood. Both manifolds are with fractions of ".

Don
TC # 349
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E Owner since Dec 1968

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old Dec 21st, 05, 03:02 PM Thread Starter
Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zdld17
Have been running the cowl ind kit with out the spacer ring on both stock Z and now Rpm Airgap. Had to leave out the spacer,, crushes the seal to much and hits under hood. Both manifolds are with fractions of ".
Really ? Which setup did you have ? Because the 350 kit's spacer at 2 3/4" seems to be about 1/2" too tall for my Performer RPM and steel cowl hood. I had a friend slowly close the hood without the seal on the tub (350 type 2 3/4" spacer in place) while I measured the clearence with a tape measure from underneath the car. When the tub made contact with the hood I had less then 1/2" of hood travel left. If I left the spacer out entirely the hood of course closed, but the gap between the now mounted seal and hood looked to be about 2 inches. And it was very obvious that it was not sealed to the hood. That's why I ordered the Z28 (2") spacer today. I'll see how it works out.

Did you ever try the shorter spacer ? and
How much gap do you have between the seal and your hood with no spacer ?

Thanks to everyone for the help.

Oh...and the cowl kit sections were glued together but came apart without any damage to the pieces. I thought the sheet metal might get bent getting them apart but nope.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old Dec 21st, 05, 05:51 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

My spacer ring is 1 3/4" wide. Made with a rolled lip to fit inside my cleaner base and below the sealing hat ring. As mentioned, I don't use it ... It fit on my orginal steel cowl hood . I must have gotten it some 10 or 12 years ago... My car did not come with cowl hood. I ordered it the day I ordered car in 68'. As soon as hood came in and car came little later ,, I painted hood , put my stripes on and installed. I put the old hood back into our dealer inventory and paid differance. Oh,,, I was a part manager back them so I had some pull.

Don
TC # 349
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E Owner since Dec 1968

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old Dec 21st, 05, 06:17 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Scott

Garage

This is a question I asked a while back. I ended up getting the "ramairbox" 14hs, because I did not think I could get the stock filter housing to fit with a Victor jr intake. I have not installed it yet due to lack of time. I wonder if anyone has a database on the height of various intakes. it sounds like even stock intakes differed.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old Dec 21st, 05, 06:29 PM
Senior Tech
Dave

Edelbrock list the heights of there mainifolds on there web site however they don't compare them to stock so it doesn't really help alot.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old Dec 21st, 05, 06:29 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

SCBlu, Go to the Edelbrock site,, They have dimensions for all their manifolds. From What I have learned is that their manifolds are within 1/8 to 1/4 " of stock hipo gm manifolds.. I mean comparing Z hi rise to their Air Gap stuff. Follow their instructions and you can compare with yours without taking off car.
Dave is correct , they dont tell you what stock is,, you have to do that.

Don
TC # 349

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode