Not a pretty Sight - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 05, 11:02 PM Thread Starter

Not a pretty Sight

From other topics, you may have read my carb is being a peice, well today, i thought it went out completely and dropped the big one. I (student) had started my car this morning, it had a small backfire around 1,000 RPM, I figured a little too much gas in the carb, just gotta burn it off. Well stupid me, took it to school and let it sit for a few hours. Came back out and tried to start it, would choke, almost start, get to the point where it is just barely firing, and die. when it died, it shot smoke and gas out of the carb. ( by the 5th try to start, i removed the air cleaner) Well, it'd turn over, and hover at about 400 RPM, yes 400. A cold start for my car, you have to pump the gas dramatically, until the car gets its small jets of gass tgo run over 1,000. Well, I had tried starting it at LEAST 20 times. It had to of been to gassed up now/// so I had my dad come get me, well, he held the throttle open all of the way ( pedal to the metal) and it started and just sat at 400 RPM, He held it there and of course, it the carb. barked, and spit gas ( and smoke) right at him. 2nd or 3rd try, it left it in full throttle and it stayed at 400 RPM. ( what terribly boring story) After about 5 minutes it climbed above 1k and thats when I had to rap it out numerously, just to get it drivable. It backfired like you wouldn't beleive every time i hit the gas on my way home. Does this sound like a typical carb problem? or maybe the spark plugs? or something I have no clue about. lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 05, 11:17 PM
MJM
Gold Lifetime Member
Maurice

Re: Not a pretty Sight

Sounds like a plugged exhaust.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old Dec 21st, 05, 01:11 AM

How old/miles does this motor have on it? Sounds like the timing might have jumped, or possibly something in the dist. or valve train went bad/broke. Start with the easy stuff maybe the plugs have just washed out. Pull the dist. cap check for cracks and look at the contacts for buildup or wear. Also look over the rotor and all the parts for possible damage. More then likely the power valve is gone in the carb now so don't forget to check /replace it if necessary.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old Dec 21st, 05, 07:59 AM
Senior Tech
Royce

What kind of carb?

I agree, it sounds like timing to me and that's where I would start. Put a timing light on it and see where it's at. While your carb may have issues, it would have to be pretty bad to only rev 400RPM. It could be as simple as the distributor slipping.

Royce (NO XQSSS) Bradley

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(brief sound/video clip, 3 1/2" exhaust through Borla Sportsman mufflers)
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old Dec 21st, 05, 08:04 AM
Senior Tech
Paul

Change the gas fouled plugs.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old Dec 21st, 05, 08:26 AM

you might also look into your needle and seat being bad...not sure what carb you have, but years ago, I had a similar issue. Thought it was plugged exhaust and turned out to be the carb. Downside to this scenario is TONS of fuel now mixing with your oil, which obviously is not a good thing.

Check the oil and see what condition it's in before you try starting it again.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old Dec 21st, 05, 10:00 AM
Senior Tech
Greg

Sounds like a classic case of a blown power valve to me. You said it backfired right? Then the problems got worse?

If it is a Holley you can bet it is one of 2 things; a blown power valve or a piece of trash in the needle and seat.

Spin the engine over a few seconds then let the engine die. Run out and look and see if fuel is dripping down into the engine. If so, it is one of the 2 above. If not you can start looking at other things like timing, etc.

69 Camaro, 3650lbs., 400ci, TH400, Coan 10" converter, 3.50 gear
D1SC, pump gas, street car, Water/Meth injection
1.302 60', 5.956 @ 116.4 Super Sniper EFI 2019
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old Dec 21st, 05, 10:53 AM
Senior Tech
Royce

I would think if it was a power valve holding the throttle wide open would have rev'd fine. It just wouldn't idle well (if at all).

We still don't even know if it's a Holley or what. If so I agree it could be a needle/seat problem. I would still expect it to rev with the pedal to the floor, it would just be rough running and lot's of smoke.

Royce (NO XQSSS) Bradley

(brief sound/video clip, 3 1/2" exhaust through Borla Sportsman mufflers)
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old Dec 21st, 05, 12:40 PM
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJM
Sounds like a plugged exhaust.
Bananna in the tail pipe perhaps.

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old Dec 21st, 05, 12:57 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

I used Idaho taters in the 50's ...

Don
TC # 349
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E Owner since Dec 1968

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old Dec 21st, 05, 09:11 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
"Tri-Tip"

I had the same problem once. My car had a clear plastic in-line filter. The element inside broke loose and let trash into the needle valve. The trash held the valve open.

"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master." ..... George Washington

Gary,TC Member with a Lemans Blue/Ivory 02D X33, DZ, M20, MS, flat hood. Only the BU code rear end is original.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old Dec 21st, 05, 09:49 PM

If you have a points and condensor ignition, you may want to try replacing the condensor.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old Dec 21st, 05, 10:44 PM Thread Starter

The carb is a stock Quad 600cfm. It overloads with a lot of gas, but never in its life has it done this. I have had problems with the carb a lot so i'm guessing its that. The spark plugs are very gassed up, and have combustion on them, anytime I remove them. When it took its 5 minutes of constant 400RPM rev, it was chugging quite a bit ( duh) but when it finally came to life, I burned richer than a lit barrel of jet fuel. With the obsessive backfires ( and popping from the exhaust pipes.) Well, i'm going to try the new carbs in a couple of days, so i'll post those results then. Thanks guys!!!
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old Dec 21st, 05, 11:42 PM
Senior Tech
Paul

Put a new set of plugs in it too.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old Dec 22nd, 05, 07:37 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

My first thought is your power valve piston that is connected to your fuel metering rods,, is stuck and has been sticking for a long time. Another prolem with these Q jets is the fuel float will soak up fuel and hang open. Third is an old issue about the two fuel pluggs between the base and bowl,, they were prone to leak and they needed to be resealed either with epoxy or a sealing cushion that went between the base and bowl, little cavity there. You will just have to do some homework here . That may fix the a problem but you still need to get it to run.

Don
TC # 349
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E Owner since Dec 1968

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode