Quadrajet replacement advice and tech support - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old Dec 22nd, 05, 08:02 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Terry

Quadrajet replacement advice and tech support

I'm replacing the old, and I mean old, 4 barrel q-jet on my '68 Camaro (327 auto) with a rebuilt one. I've replaced Holleys and Edelbrocks, which (usually) run right away when you install them and fire them up. However, I've never installed a new q-jet-- anyone have any advice on initial startup & carb adjusment?

Also, there are 3 male fittings that have been plugged on my old carb, can anyone tell me what they are for? Choke? Pic is at: http://home.comcast.net/~tmannett

Thanks

Terry M.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old Dec 22nd, 05, 08:08 PM
Senior Tech
Matt Weller

Re: Quadrajet replacement advice and tech support

Well...I can tell you this isn't the q-jet your car left the factory with...you can divide q-jets basically into two groups - early which yours should be, and late, which this one is. On the late ones there were all sorts of vacuum ports for everything you can imagine...don't forget these went on a variety of cars with a variety of options and it was cheaper to just block off the ports you didn't need...Can you post the numbers off the left side of the carb?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

No Camaro...'69 Impala LM1 F40 J52 M38 C60 N33
'41 Chevy Master Deluxe Coupe
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old Dec 22nd, 05, 08:18 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Terry

Yeah I did know this wasn't the original carb...I bought this car from the original owner, who was a mechanic for 40 years! So I do know the history of the car. This is the original 327, originally had a 2 barrel carb. The owner put an aluminum intake and 4 barrel carb on back in the 1980s when the engine was rebuilt. The engine has 4K miles in it since the rebuild, but the carb is awfully gummed up. Anyway it's a 17080213, which I believe means it was produced in 1980 or the 1980s.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old Dec 23rd, 05, 12:37 AM
Senior Tech

Terry,

FWIW, my q-jet I believe is originally a '72 and I have a th350 tranny, so this is what I am basing my post on.
From what I can tell based on your pic...

the port on the front of the carb on the dr side (with the black cap) needs to stay plugged off (not sure what it would of went to).

The port with the vacuum line on it should go to the choke.

The port with the orange cap on it, above the fuel intake line goes to the distributor

The port under the choke goes to the tranny (at least it does on my th350 auto)

Terry this is how mine is set up. Being a 72 my ports aren't exactly in the same place (but pretty close).

Hope this helped!

Greg
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old Dec 23rd, 05, 05:25 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Terry

Thanks I'll use that info when I'm installing a new carb--

Happy Holidays!
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old Dec 23rd, 05, 06:27 AM
Guess

That carb came from a 1980 GM pickup with a 350.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old Dec 23rd, 05, 06:57 AM
Team Member

There are two style quadrajets earlier style with divorced choke were applied in '68. ( the choke coil is mounted on the intake manifold) later style had an attached choke either hot air or electric. This is what you currently have. It looks like it is electric.

You need to consider this when you order a replacement.

If the car performs well you could buy a rebuild kit and float and simply rebuild the carb. You can do it-we can help!
you may consider ordering one from a performance rebuilder. The connections are straight forward. The plugged ports should remain plugged. Do not over torque the mounting bolts.
After you apply the carb you should only need to adjust idle speed and mixture.
Heri is a lot mor information:

http://www.florida4x4.com/tech/quadrajet/index.php

TTFN
Mat

SSCARGO
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old Dec 23rd, 05, 09:24 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Terry

Looks like I could go with either style choke, since the intake is set up for the divorced choke style.
Carb appears to be in pretty bad shape-- runs rough, looks like it leaks a little gas, etc. Rebuilding it has crossed my mind, I know I'd have tech support here...but I know where I can find a new one for $188, seems like a fair price...
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old Dec 23rd, 05, 11:37 AM

I know in the past I have found that Auto zone sold re manufactured Q-jets for a reasonable price. After several cases of paying close to $30.00 for the rebuild kits not to mention cleaner/solvent and my labor and time I looked for alternatives. I have purchased several for around $110.00 + tax, turning in a core of course. It comes vacuum sealed and all the ones I bought were in great shape. Sometimes I had to have the fella search around in the close year models to find one jetted for the engine size I wanted with the low price. Usually they were very helpful unless they were swamped. The best part about it is they have a warranty I think it was a 1 year deal. But if it runs great for a year it should be fine. Of course this all doesn't help if your trying to do a numbers matching deal but if you want a decent price, a warranty, and as little greasy labor as possible this worked for me several times years ago. One last note be careful some of the carbs they pull up can be outrageous just look for another one, try a 1/2 ton truck or a different year with the same engine size.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old Dec 23rd, 05, 12:28 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Terry

I'll have a look at Auto Zone as well--T.
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old Dec 23rd, 05, 07:35 PM
Senior Tech

Only problem I see with buying a rebuilt one is trying to find out what's in it. I had a new Edelbrock 1901 on my 327 with a Performer intake and cam, and it ran really well. Main jets were .069, primary rods were 36B, secondary rods were DR. Good out of the box, but then the car developed a massive vacuum leak that I thought was a tuning issue, and I started playing around with rods and jets, had my old Q-jet rebuilt by one of my racing buddies, etc. I have so many pages of notes and calculations it's not funny.

Then, after I fixed my vacuum leak, I tried a Holley 4175 spreadbore Q-jet replacement, P/N 80555C. What a difference! A car that could hardly turn a tire with the mild 327 and 2.73s suddenly became capable of breaking loose from a 5-mph start. Right out of the box. I did change the power valve to more closely match what I needed, but other than that it was good to go. I think the 750 cfm of a Q-jet is just a little too much for a mild 327, and that 650 CFM Holley gave much better response.

Just saying...if you're not concerned about originality, can swing another $100 or so for a NEW Holley (Summit sells 80555C for $315), and wanted to stay simple, you might want to think about it.

If you want to try to redo that Q-jet (or get another, correct 4MV style), I have the Doug Roe Q-Jet book you can "sign out" from my library.

Eric
69 'vert project big block/TKO 600 RR
68 'vert driver RS clone -- gone!
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old Dec 23rd, 05, 08:57 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Terry

This is what I'm thinking... use a rebuilt q-jet for the upcoming driving season, see how it runs Then, next winter, I might try that spreadbore Holley setup, I have a feeling this 327 would perform better with a Holley--
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old Dec 24th, 05, 08:26 AM
Senior Tech

Your Q-jet is the later one with the adjustable power piston (the earlier is sort of). Personally I like the later carb better just rebuild it.
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old Jan 3rd, 06, 03:12 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Terry

Happy New Year everyone--

I just put on the new Q-jet that i ordered for my 327. It is the identical carb that was on the vehicle (10780213), so all the fittings are identical. I swapped my old electric choke because the new one was warm air only, not electric.

Anyway I hooked everything up, primed the carb, started it and it fired up right away. Runs strong at partial throttle, but won't idle unless I pump the accelerator. Choke looks like it's functioning-- partially open after running for a few minutes. I'm a novice when it comes to Q-jets, what settings should I check to adjust the fuel/air mixture on this carb?

Thanks Terry
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old Jan 3rd, 06, 05:35 PM
Team Member

First make sure you have no vacuum leaks. Either open ports. There is one on the passenger side rear of the carb that was not in your picture. the power brake booster port in the rear baseplate must also be plugged or hooked up.

The idle adjustment mixture screws are in the front lower corners of the baseplate. They are recessed into holes that are in the base and require a special tool for adjustment. kind of D shaped. It is available at most auto stores. Idle speed is adjusted with a screw at the drivers side front, by the throttle lever.

TTFN
Mat

SSCARGO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode