Header - Steering box Clearance - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old Dec 23rd, 05, 01:35 PM Thread Starter

Header - Steering box Clearance

I have been struggling with the clearance between my Headman headers and my steering gear box. I tried three different motor mounts and still no luck. I think I finally figured out what to do, but not sure if this will cause a problem. I put a 1/4" spacer between the motor mount and the engine block on the drivers side and I now have a good 3/8" clearance. I am not sure if this will affect anything else like the carburator or the driveline and was just wondering if anyone had any thoughts on that? I figure that even driving down the road or tire pressure can throw things off by a 1/4" or more...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old Dec 23rd, 05, 02:04 PM
Senior Tech
Mike

Re: Header - Steering box Clearance

I'm not sure if it will cause any problems, but most people, myself included, usually alter (dent) the header so it clears the steering box. I also have Hedman's with power steering.

Mike

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old Dec 23rd, 05, 04:20 PM
Senior Tech
Tom

Talking Re: Header - Steering box Clearance

It sounds like a classic example of the wrong frame stands and engine mounts. Headers usually will fit like a glove. Please do a search in the different forums, you will find more information than you want.

69 Camaro -originally a LM1 car. 327, Edelbrock E-streets, hooker, DUI performance distributors, ultradyne cam, stewart, TRW etc. Vintage Air, AGR steering, Corbeau GTSII seats, 700R4 transmission, 12-bolt w/Eaton 4.11:1

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old Dec 24th, 05, 05:35 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Rick

I returned a new set of hedman's due to PS box issues and kept my old set. This was with the correct mounts. The older 65003's fit well, the new ones are crap. I don't see an issue with your spacer and prefer that solution if a good fitting set of headers can't be found. SInce big block mounts shift the engine more than you're doing, I don't see the problem.

Rick Dorion
69 RS Conv therapy program, Autogear M22, 8-pt cage, with a new 410! SOLD
New therapy program - 68 Coupe. Will be survivor exterior, modern underpinnings! SOLD
67 Belair with perfect floors, pinchwelds and firewall. Hmmm!
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old Dec 24th, 05, 06:15 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

True, If you do have the incorrect mount stands , you will have problems. You should not have to shim up one side to clear ps. Go to David Pozzri site and he explains it well and even list the part # for the mount towers.

If mounting is correct , I will say that some headers and Hedman is no exception , will hit the ps box. I had Hooker 2451 and they cleared by 3/4 " but the hung down on driver side. After living with it for 15 years,,, I opted out for Thorley 376 1 coated. They fit perfect but the collectors are 2 .5 " which does not matter to me as the remainder of my pipes are the same size. They are 14 guage tubing, 3/8" flanges and they send you the collector hook ups that dont use flat gaskets that leak. About $520 delivered. Still a good deal. Do your home work first.

One other thing , later sbc and bbc mounts are the same, 2 1/8" from bolt eye to flat plate. Earlier ones are 1 3/4. They are easily mixed at the parts counter.

Don
TC # 349
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E Owner since Dec 1968

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old Dec 24th, 05, 07:02 AM
Senior Tech
Dave

I am using all correct mounts in '68 454, using Hooker Super Comp headers, and I had to "clearance" (aka: dent) the headers in about 4 spots to get them to fit. One spot was the high-pressure line for the PS box. It really jerked me off to have to dent up a beautiful brand-new set of $600 headers. I did a LOT of homework before I bought the headers.

Truthfully though, I've been messing with SB and BB Chevy engines in Chevelles and Camaros for 35 years and headers are always a tight fit, especially larger-tube ones.

-

Dave F. in Rhode Island
'68 Camaro SS Accel DFI 454 (SOLD - I'm a boring Corvette owner now)
Bought my first big-block Chevy in 1970
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old Dec 24th, 05, 08:50 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Assuming you've corrected the "motor mount wider than frame mount" issue from your previous post, I don't see a problem with spacing the left motor mount for clearance.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old Dec 24th, 05, 12:30 PM

if you have not coated the headers take it off and dent it with a hammer slightly to give you the clearance you will need. remember the torque is going to twist the motor away from the box so you won't need much of a dent .
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old Dec 24th, 05, 06:14 PM
Senior Tech
Keith

This is where doing homework is good. Alot of hedman headers are designed to work with manual steering boxes only.Why they can't make a set to clear the power box on all aplications is beyond me, but they don't. Check and see if your headers are for non power boxes.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old Dec 24th, 05, 06:49 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

Glad you mentioned this.. There is a footnote on some of Hedmans stuff that says " Will not fit cars with 825 Saginaw gearboxs" and thats the only ps gear box that is on these cars..

Don
TC # 349
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E Owner since Dec 1968

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old Dec 24th, 05, 06:57 PM Thread Starter

Really...I didnt see that and the guy at Jegs said it would fit fine...better than anything he has seen. I have the 3rd generation steering gear box in there...is that a 825 saginaw box?
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old Dec 24th, 05, 07:00 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

The 825 is the orginal type ps box and from what I learned is that guys are using what you got,, the 2 and 3rd gen boxes,,, So I have been reading.

Check out link,, and look at footnote # 49, you have to pull up the footnote.

http://www.hedman.com/pages/hedmanmain.html

Don
TC # 349

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old Dec 25th, 05, 02:58 AM
Senior Tech

if you have a small block, you have 2 different styles of mounts.
the 307/327 mounts put the engine farther forward and to the driver's side.
the 302/350 mounts put the engine farther back and to the passenger side.
that's why 302 and 350 cars can't swallow an HEI distributor without using a Ford tool on the firewall, but a 307 powered car has plenty of room.
some headers were designed for the 307/327 mounts and should clear all small block applications just fine due to where the engine is placed.
some headers were engineered for the 302/350 mounts, and will only clear everything with the correct 302/350 mounts without some denting.
big block headers are another story- i don't know why none of them fit, but since most people just bang them up and stick them on, the header makers haven't seen a need to fix the problems.

you don't plan sincerity.
you have to make it up on the spot.

wanna hear about 20 years ago when i was too smart to know any better?
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old Dec 25th, 05, 06:33 AM
Senior Tech
Dave

While we're on this topic, does anyone know if a '69 BB sits the same as a '67-'68 BB? By "same" I mean location relative to sub-frame.......

thanks

-

Dave F. in Rhode Island
'68 Camaro SS Accel DFI 454 (SOLD - I'm a boring Corvette owner now)
Bought my first big-block Chevy in 1970
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old Dec 25th, 05, 08:08 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

No expert here but there is only one Saginaw box and I see only one set of bolt hole in frame. Think the sub frame is differant for bbc? I keep hearing about guys installing the 2nd and 3rd gen steering boxes for clearances and turning radi reasons. Wonder if David Pozzi has something on his site?.

Don
TC # 349

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode