thermo housing bolt broken-- help! - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 23rd, 05, 02:28 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Terry

thermo housing bolt broken-- help!

I know it's almost Christmas, but the weather is warm here in WI (relatively), around 40 degrees. Anyway I decided to replace my leaky thermostat & gasket...left bolt loosened up easily, right one (longer) busted off right in the middle of the bolt...i was able to move the housing back and forth and pull the gasket pieces off, so the housing is loose. Won't pull up and off though... I'm soaking the whole think in WD40...what's the best way to proceed-- try to pull the housing straight up to get the bolt to slide out of it? Drill the bolt out? Once I pull the housing off I think that what's left of the bolt will be sticking out of the manifold far enough for me to put a vice grips on it and unscrew it...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 23rd, 05, 03:41 PM
Senior Tech

Re: thermo housing bolt broken-- help!

With one bolt removed, and the other without a head you should be able to pull the thermostat housing up and off without a problem. Then you will have better access to the bolt end. I prefer PB Blast (www.pbblaster.com) to soak the bolt though. Vise grips should work out well after that.
I prefer the Felpro Permadry Thermostat Gasket though, no sealant, seals perfectly each time, reuseable. If you figure a new gasket is $1.29 + $3.50 for the adhesive sealer, its cheaper to go with the newer Felpro gasket

AutoZone:
FELPRO 35562T for $4.29

1969 Camaro - GM 2003 Electron Blue
Beck Racing 383 cu in 465HP Engine - Sean Murphy Inductions Stage 2 Quadrajet
TCI Streetfighter 350 - 3.73:1 Posi 10 Bolt Rear - 12.6 sec qtr mile

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 23rd, 05, 04:54 PM
Senior Tech
mike

Talking Re: thermo housing bolt broken-- help!

Aluminum or iron manifold? Take care not to scar the sealing surface with the vise grips, also some light tapping on top of the broken bolt may help the lubricant go further down into the threads. Sometimes lightly warming the area up with a soldering torch and quench it with the lube spray will allow it to go deeper in the threads as well. Take care with the heat as not to melt anything, or start a fire. When assembling it all back together use a little anti-sieze on the bolts for next time.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 23rd, 05, 08:24 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Terry

I finally got the housing off...patience, more than anything. I let it soak for a few hours, then started prying from both sides at once...finally came off, so I didn't have to use heat on it. It is an aluminum manifold, and I did nick up the surface under the housing a little, but hopefully it should be o.k.--
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 24th, 05, 12:49 AM
Senior Tech
mike

Terry, put a shop rag in the hole, and take a flat file across the sealing area to flaten and clean up any nicks. Be sure it is not too aggresive of a file, pull out the rag with the filings, and your good to go, Mike.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 24th, 05, 10:39 AM
Senior Tech

As you start to remove the bolt, be sure to turn it back and forth as you remove it. Rust and metal will want to gawl up the threads and if you continue to turn it counter clockwise, the ball of junk will get bigger and bigger until it siezes again. By rocking it back and forth you break off the debri and keep it out of the threads. Good luck. If the grips don't work, you'll end up having to drill down the center of it and use an easy-out or something. Trick there is center punching the bolt and drilling down the center of it. Sometimes a small socket will help you center up on the bolt with a punch. Start with a small bit and size up as needed.

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 26th, 05, 03:09 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Terry

I did the rocking back-and-forth technique, and the bold did loosen up and come out, new one tightened up fine today. I don't think I got the manifold mounting surface as smooth as it should be, but the new gasket is holding, no leaks so far... Thanks
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 26th, 05, 07:58 PM

Question Re: thermo housing bolt broken-- help!

You did use some moly "never-sieze" on them, didn't you?

pdq67

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 05, 06:24 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Terry

ah, no, just a little WD40. Tell me more about the "never-sieze!
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 05, 06:56 AM
Senior Tech

Just something to use when mating dissimilar metals (aluminum and steel, in this case) to keep you from seizing the bolt into the intake again (caused by galvanic corrosion). You can use anti sieze (silvery goop that seems to get everywhere), or in most cases something like Loctite Blue works real well too.

Eric
69 'vert project big block/TKO 600 RR
68 'vert driver RS clone -- gone!
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 05, 07:36 AM

Quote:
"never-sieze"
also called Anti Sieze. Comes in a small tube like gasket sealer. Can usually be found at a hardware or Auto supply store for around $4.00. It only takes a very light coating on the threads of the bolt. But it inevitably will try to get places you didnt want it if your not careful. Squeeze the tube lightly it comes out alot faster than gasket sealer.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 05, 07:46 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Terry

I'll for sure pick up some of that stuff, and keep it handy in my shop...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode