Carb Linkage 6 cyl. to V8 - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 24th, 05, 04:42 PM Thread Starter

Carb Linkage 6 cyl. to V8

Well, looking ahead, and trying to get my mind off my clutch/motor mounts/header problems...

In switching over from a 6 cylinder motor to a V8, will I need a different linkage setup from the firewall to the carburator? The setup I have is for a 6 cylinder and mounts way over to the side to line up with anything for a carb that will be basically centered on the 350 motor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 24th, 05, 05:02 PM

Re: Carb Linkage 6 cyl. to V8

yippers
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 24th, 05, 05:10 PM Thread Starter

Where is a good place to get this from and what would I need. I would assume the part that goes from the rod under the dash, through the firewall and to the carb...Is there a kit or what would be my best option? I am putting in a 350 motor with a 4 barrel holly carb.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 24th, 05, 05:54 PM

Liveinaz........any Camaro Resto Shop Will Have Them And If You Cant Find The Correct Parts Phone.........716 652 7086,ask For Craig[camaro Specailties] And He Will Ship The Parts To You
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 24th, 05, 06:03 PM

Original equipment is the right thing to do but a cable setup becomes nice if you're not into making a copy but are more into a hot rod.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 25th, 05, 03:01 AM
Senior Tech

if you aren't playing the "originality" game, get a gas pedal and cable out of a 70-74 nova and switch it over to a cable setup. well worth the $10 you'll spend at the boneyard for the parts, and the 1/2 hour it will take to bolt the pedal up and drill the hole.

you don't plan sincerity.
you have to make it up on the spot.

wanna hear about 20 years ago when i was too smart to know any better?
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 25th, 05, 08:44 PM Thread Starter

I am still not sure which way to go, so I thought I would post a few pictures of what I have. I have read a lot of posts about different setups based on different carbs, and cable -vs- rods, etc. From looking at Classic's catalog, and a few posts, there should be a rod that connects to the accelerator bracket that bolts to the firewall. Since my existing 6 cylinder cable comes out of the firewall way over to the left side, I would assume I need to get a longer rod from the gas pedalinside, that extends out the bracket on the firewall, and connects to another adjustable rod that runs up between the motor and the firewall. Is this correct, or what are my other options? Here are a few pics...

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 25th, 05, 09:02 PM
Senior Tech
Jon

Go with the V-8 Nova cable already suggested and buy the cable bracket for the carburetor end from Ground-Up for use with a Holley carb.

Jon N

The only reason someone would want insurance is if they want to pay someone elses bills or want someone else to pay their bills.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 25th, 05, 09:02 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Your third pic, the engine side of the firewall. Plate with 2 bolts is the gas pedal pivot. On a V8 setup, that hex bolt coming out the side of that plate isn't there, the shaft continues into the engine compartment. A verticle lever attaches to it, and the throttle rod goes from that lever to the carb.

The easiest thing to do would be to buy a complete V8 throttle setup froma repro house. There would be no fabbing or messing around, it would just fit and work.

The Nova setup is a good plan, too, but might need some fabbing. Best would be to buy the whole thing in a junkyard. Next best would be to get the cable from a parts store or chevy dealer. You would also need the bracket that holds the carb end of the cable, and possibly some holley stuff to actually attach the cable to the carb.

A solid throttle may "move" with the engine. The 406 I had in a 67 long ago did a lot of this, my currect 68 does not. This can feel a little weird if the motor is moving around a lot on the mounts. A cable throttle does not pass engine movement to the driver at all. Still, lots of us do just fine with a solid linkage.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 25th, 05, 09:07 PM Thread Starter

If I wanted to buy a new setup for a gas pedal and cable out of a 70 - 74 nova, how do I know where I need to drill the hole in the firewall and all of the details of how everything hooks up under the dash and bolts to the firewall? Is it basically the same bolt up at the firewall as the camaro has? I guess I am not sure where to drill the hole, and how the cable is routed from the pedal to the firewall and then to the carb...
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 25th, 05, 09:54 PM
Senior Tech
Jon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liveinaz
If I wanted to buy a new setup for a gas pedal and cable out of a 70 - 74 nova, how do I know where I need to drill the hole in the firewall and all of the details of how everything hooks up under the dash and bolts to the firewall? Is it basically the same bolt up at the firewall as the camaro has? I guess I am not sure where to drill the hole, and how the cable is routed from the pedal to the firewall and then to the carb...
The V8 Nova cable is routed in the place your 6 cylinder cable is now. No holes to drill.

Jon N

The only reason someone would want insurance is if they want to pay someone elses bills or want someone else to pay their bills.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 25th, 05, 09:54 PM
Senior Tech
Jon

oops............ double post

Jon N

Last edited by dyno jonn; Dec 25th, 05 at 10:28 PM. Reason: oops..........
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 25th, 05, 10:16 PM
Senior Tech

just get a 70 V8 Nova cable and bolt it right in.
problem solved.

you don't plan sincerity.
you have to make it up on the spot.

wanna hear about 20 years ago when i was too smart to know any better?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode