MSD HEI distributor fitment and clearance - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 26th, 05, 07:44 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ted

MSD HEI distributor fitment and clearance

I have a 1969 camaro with a 1973 350 sbc motor. I am trying to freshen up and upgrade the motor. I am replacing the old points distributor and coil. My question is will the msd hei distributor #8365 work on my vehicle or will I have a clearance problem? Has anyone installed this in their 69 camaro with a 350? Or should I go another route?

Last edited by tgifford5; Dec 26th, 05 at 07:59 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 26th, 05, 07:47 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Re: MSD HEI distributor fitment and clearance

The MSD 8360 is very popular, I love mine:
http://store.summitracing.com/defaul...=egnsearch.asp
It requires an external coil, but is smaller than an hei style distributor and will clear without a problem.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 26th, 05, 10:42 PM
Senior Tech
Harley D

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM
The MSD 8360 is very popular, I love mine:
It requires an external coil, but is smaller than an hei style distributor and will clear without a problem.
DITTO It's the same size cap that's on your point distributor now.

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."-Dr. Seuss
We learn life's important lessons in kindergarten.

Harley D
'67 coupe 427SBC
60'1.728
1/[email protected]

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 06, 10:59 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ted

Smile Re: MSD HEI distributor fitment and clearance

Thanks guys for your suggestion.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 06, 12:00 PM
Senior Tech

Ditto again works great! However i was just reading about a new model MSD has out called MSD Digital E-Curve part#8394 I sure would like to try one of them.

69 Camaro RS 396bbc
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 06, 12:03 PM
Senior Tech

Ditto again works great! However i was just reading about a new model MSD has out called MSD Digital E-Curve part#8394 I sure would like to try one of them.

here is some info on them
Set a centrifugal and vacuum advance curve electronically.
These MSD Digital E-Curve distributors will drop right in your engine and fire up with three simple connections! Not only are there no external controls or boxes to mount and connect, but you can set a timing curve with the twist of a rotary dial!
That's right, no more springs or stop bushings to fumble with. A new digital module lets you select from 20 different "centrifugal" curves and five vacuum curves - that's 100 combinations! Simply remove the cap to access the rotary dials and select a curve to match your application. You can also set an rpm limit that will protect your engine from over-rev damage caused by a missed shift or driveline failure.

69 Camaro RS 396bbc
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 06, 08:34 PM
Tech Team

Running an msd #8360 on a chevy 327 that replaced my points set-up in my old vette... 3 things happened

1) it idles much better and stronger then the points i had before

2) it starts up like EFI in both hot and cold engine temps.. first key turn.. vrooom

3) you feel it in the seat of the pants.. engine feels stronger..rev's faster and feels quicker.. (not my imagination.. as had points for years rebuilt and in good shape

bad points.. 1) ugly as hell.. need a black cap and wires
2) if you get stranded the spare set of blue streak points in your glove box can't even be traded for 25 cents to call a tow truck

just my opnion and i'm new here ( it's my first info post) so take it easy on me
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode