Head Gasket?? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Dec 29th, 05, 07:27 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Steve

Head Gasket??

Hey Everyone,

I need to get your opinion on what is going on here. I pulled the spark plug out of #5 and coolant dripped out but what is confusing is my engine does not have any oil in the coolant or vise versa. This is the only cylinder than is doing this.The motor did not miss and the header is dry other than carbon along with the tailpipe.

Last time I drove it was a around October just around the block. Today I pulled the heads off and did drain the coolant out of the block and this is what I found.

Thanks Steve

69' Z28 Le Mans Blue
07' Silverado Ext Cab LTZ
06' Lexus RX 400h
05' BMW 545i
97' Firebird Formula WS6
96' Silverado Ext Cab 4X4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Dec 29th, 05, 11:02 PM
Senior Tech
Royce

Re: Head Gasket??

Were there any "paths" on the head gasket? Make sure you look real close for cracks in the head and/or block. I would have liked to see you run the engine and look into the radiator to see if you had bubbles. too late for that now. You can probably take a sample of your anti freeze to a good shop and they can run a test on the coolant to see if it had combustion by products in it. This is assuming you caugt it in a clean container.

Royce (NO XQSSS) Bradley

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(brief sound/video clip, 3 1/2" exhaust through Borla Sportsman mufflers)
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Dec 30th, 05, 09:37 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Steve

The coolant was clean, no oil what so ever in the block and radiator. I was looking again at the head and guess the only way to be sure it is not cracked is to take it in to a shop and have them check it out to be safe. This fluid came into the cylinder somehow and with everyone's help here I am sure the source will be found.

69' Z28 Le Mans Blue
07' Silverado Ext Cab LTZ
06' Lexus RX 400h
05' BMW 545i
97' Firebird Formula WS6
96' Silverado Ext Cab 4X4

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Dec 30th, 05, 11:52 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

Have the head shop break the valves down out of the head and pockets,, get them to clean things up and apply dry powder flux, look for tracings of the powder. My guess is that composition gasket was leaking at the steel ring. That is a retorque style gasket. Might want to look at going to Permatorque gasket from Felpro.

My other thought is that your are over have way to a valve job . Why not look at that while you are there.. Maybe even go to thinner gaskets if it will not hurt? Worst case is block. Don't suppose coolant coming from around the studs or head bolts? You apply a sealing compound?

Don
TC # 349
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E Owner since Dec 1968

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Dec 30th, 05, 09:27 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
"Tri-Tip"

Quote:
Originally Posted by zdld17
Have the head shop break the valves down out of the head and pockets,, get them to clean things up and apply dry powder flux, look for tracings of the powder. My guess is that composition gasket was leaking at the steel ring. That is a retorque style gasket. Might want to look at going to Permatorque gasket from Felpro.

My other thought is that your are over have way to a valve job . Why not look at that while you are there.. Maybe even go to thinner gaskets if it will not hurt? Worst case is block. Don't suppose coolant coming from around the studs or head bolts? You apply a sealing compound?
How do you know it is a re-torque style gasket? Is that the GM gasket? I am feeling nervous about re-torquing mine.

"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master." ..... George Washington

Gary,TC Member with a Lemans Blue/Ivory 02D X33, DZ, M20, MS, flat hood. Only the BU code rear end is original.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode