Engine Decisions... Help ! - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Dec 30th, 05, 08:11 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Steven

Engine Decisions... Help !

I am trying to decide ...This engine will go in a 55 Bel-Air M20 3.55 rear Headers ...

I have the 350 in the car there since i bought it in 1984. Previous owner said that it was 350 out of 74 vette ... 2 bolt mains ... It had been bored .030 over and I think the crank was turned also ... 461 heads ... flat top pistons ... mild cam ... Not a terribly fast car ...lost of torque ... Smokes quite a bit now ... like James Bond in Goldfinger ... One option is to rebuild this motor and go stroker with a .060 bore ... Despite the smoke, it cranks and it goes and actually runs quite fine ... 1406 edelbrock carb ..the plugs are always clean ...

versus

My son has a college friend offering him ( no charge ) a 350 crate engine ( age unknown ) The friend claims to have put 18K miles on it in a 85?? monte carlo ... The was a truck engine with stock vortec heads and small cam ... There is currently a broken bolt in the end of the crank and the engine has sat outside for awhile ( maybe a year ), and for awhile, it was oncovered except duct tape covering ports. Now it is covered by trash bags.
I would also look and expect to go totally through this engine and still look to do a stroker boring it .030 ... My questions evolves around the vortec heads ... Are they enough to make any of you say sure, let me go with door #2 here ... I am totally a street driver...no tracks times...I just want to be north of 300HP and good torque and a great muscle car idle ... Image is everything ...

So, if anyone cars to offer an opinion, please do so .. I am in raleigh NC and the motor is in Maryland. Is it worth the trip? Or, do I spend a couple grand on a Crate 350 HO and just be done with it? Thanks again to those who take the time to respnd ...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Dec 30th, 05, 09:52 AM
Senior Tech
Dave

Re: Engine Decisions... Help !

Go for it! If you have a way of getting the engine then do so. You really shouldn't go more than 0.060" overbore on thin wall cast blocks if you want reliable performance. The Vortec heads are the clincher, and make the trip worthwhile. These heads can support 500 ponies with proper prep, and choice of complimentary parts (cam, intake, carb, etc.).

Larger Dave (Big Dave to my friends)
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Dec 30th, 05, 10:08 AM
Senior Tech
Al

Re: Engine Decisions... Help !

Maybe do a little research first. Find out what the casting numbers are for vortec heads and have the guy pull a valve cover to verify. Although a free 350 sounds like a good deal regardless of the heads.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode