recon engines - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Dec 31st, 05, 11:07 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

recon engines

Hey, I am looking at replacing my tired 350 engine and im looking at rebuilding the the 350 into a 383, or a ls1 conversion. Another option was a 383 from advance auto parts, which is a 383 long block with dart heads crane cams for about half the price. My question is has anyone bought a recon engine?
Recon has engines at advance auto parts and Summit Racing sells them also.
THANKS for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Jan 3rd, 06, 03:41 PM
Tech Team
Ben

Re: recon engines

Recon has a new line of performance engines called "Bullet" performance engines. That'd be the one to go with, very well built with nice parts-and a 2 year unlimited mile warranty. Recon has been in business for over 20 years. I don't know how deep into the line Advance gets, but check other sources-I bet you could get a better price (and more expertise than what's behind the counter at Advance). Try Motorville out of Lenexa, KS (www.motorville.com)-ask for C.J.

If you were going with a basic engine from Recon-Go with the "Extreme" engine over the standars crate. The tolerances are better-and they have a warranty where the standard doesn't. By the way, they sell short blocks, Heads, Cranks, etc. The Bullet line is done in a different section-all hand assembled where the normal crates are kind of Mass-produced. Any engine can be ordered with a dyno sheet of that specific engine for an additional $230. Race and Street/Strip engines come with a dyno sheet standard.

Sorry for the long-winded reply. I'm a Manufacturer's Rep, and I rep this line-

Ben Wornall
1967 Camaro Sport Coupe
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Jan 3rd, 06, 08:29 PM
Senior Tech
Keith

I've bought both a Recon 307 and a Recon 396. I have no complaints with either. I found the work to be pretty good. They use basic parts though (cast pistons, stock cam and rods, etc.), but for a driver they work good.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Jan 3rd, 06, 08:56 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by BW67
(www.motorville.com)-ask for C.J.
Fixed the link.

Scott from NJ. Stay thirsty, my friends

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold
I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors

TC Member #13
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 06, 06:55 AM
Senior Tech
Gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by BW67
Recon has a new line of performance engines called "Bullet" performance engines. That'd be the one to go with, very well built with nice parts-and a 2 year unlimited mile warranty. Recon has been in business for over 20 years. I don't know how deep into the line Advance gets, but check other sources-I bet you could get a better price (and more expertise than what's behind the counter at Advance). Try Motorville out of Lenexa, KS (www.motorville.com)-ask for C.J.

If you were going with a basic engine from Recon-Go with the "Extreme" engine over the standars crate. The tolerances are better-and they have a warranty where the standard doesn't. By the way, they sell short blocks, Heads, Cranks, etc. The Bullet line is done in a different section-all hand assembled where the normal crates are kind of Mass-produced. Any engine can be ordered with a dyno sheet of that specific engine for an additional $230. Race and Street/Strip engines come with a dyno sheet standard.
Sorry for the long-winded reply. I'm a Manufacturer's Rep, and I rep this line-
Hi Ben, are you the "rep" for "Motorville" (Automotive Liquidators) or "Recon"? It was my understanding "Marshall" was supplying "Motorville" with units, and not "Recon". But things keep changing in this business. Also while I have your attention, it appears the story of the "low" priced SB heads we had been involved with performing tests on, turns out to be cast up in China, not in Australia, as we were lead to believe. Maybe you can expand on this item. Recon just closed up the entire "west-coast" operation I believe. Thanks, Gary in N.Y.
P.S. As long as the quality/HP numbers are there we don't really care who makes the heads. We can give our customers the 440+ HP (from the box)they're looking for while saving them some bucks. Between Comp Cams, Ferrea's valves, and these heads with us porting them we are closer to 500 HP on pump-gas 383's. Looks as though the new "budget" Aluminum BB's on the scene are also from China!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode