How do you read TQ/HP graphs - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Dec 31st, 05, 02:59 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Scott

Red face How do you read TQ/HP graphs

Guys,
I have learned A TON on this website. Thanks! I've come a long way, but could you please help me with another dumb question...Would someone help me understand how you look at and interpret Torque and Horsepower graphs?

I think I understand "powerband" as where you expect your car to use its most effort. For a manual transmission, this occurs at a higher range than an auto.

So for a given transmission, gear ratio, and tire size you would determine where your powerband is? and build your engine to match? are you looking at tq or hp? where it peaks? or the area under the curve?

I apologize again for asking about something that is so basic...

BTW, my son gave me Desktop Dyno for Christmas so I've been making lots of graphs...other than more is better, I'm not sure which are better than others.

Thanks,
Scott
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Dec 31st, 05, 03:47 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

Re: How do you read TQ/HP graphs

You prolly already are reading from left to right on these graphs. You probably already see that about 5250 rpm , torque falls off but hp keeps moving up or steady to the desired rpm range. What is great about these desktop dyno programs,, is that you can either follow standard equiptment runs , especially in cam selection , or you can design your own. Its almost endless. One thing for sure,, you cant blow your engine doing this. You can pretty much see what equiptment moves your tq and hp bands up and down. Did I say anything you haven't already done?

Don
TC # 349
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E Owner since Dec 1968

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Dec 31st, 05, 05:03 PM

Smile Re: How do you read TQ/HP graphs

Hp = RPM x T/5252.

When RPM ='s 5252, Hp ='s T is why the Hp and the T curves crossover at 5252 rpm.

And if you want to consider such, a high rpm Hp motor just has more of the T curve over to the right of the crossover point or higher in the rpm scale is all!

This is why we say a low rpm motor is a torque motor b/c most of the T curve is to the left of the crossover point or lower down the rpm range.

pdq67

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Dec 31st, 05, 07:48 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Scott

Re: How do you read TQ/HP graphs

ok, i hadn't noticed the 5252 crossover...interesting.
pdq, I'm wrapping my brain around the high/low rpm comments. So if you have two otherwise equal motors, one is high rpm/low torque, and the other is low rpm/high torque what is the application of each? If you are pulling a boat, you want torque, when do you want high rpm?
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Jan 1st, 06, 09:56 AM

Smile Re: How do you read TQ/HP graphs

Drag racing!

And high speed road racing like the Silver State Classic. NASCAR racing too.

pdq67

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode