new engine fuel pump priming - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Dec 31st, 05, 04:52 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
bl

Send a message via MSN to bl1work
new engine oil pump priming

Like a previous post, my 69 350 has been built for about 5yrs now and is just now ready to crank. I pulled the distributor and i've been priming the pump with my 18v cordless. After my drill motor starts smoking, slowly i'm getting oil to come out of all my push rods on the drivers side of the motor... slowly, one by one... but i haven't seen the first drop come out of my pass side push rods. Is this just a lack of rpm's on my drill? Or should i be seeing oil come out on both sides? or is this sufficient on the priming. thanks,
bl

Last edited by bl1work; Dec 31st, 05 at 05:56 PM. Reason: mistype
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Dec 31st, 05, 05:06 PM
Bill

Re: new engine fuel pump priming

b,
I doubt that a cordless drill has the power to properly do the job. We use a Snap On 1/2" air drill at 175 psi and it still is straining. Are you using the proper priming tool that has a collar down in the block to simulate the distributor housing ? Also, try turning the engine over a bit by hand whaile you prime it, even though you really should not have to, it seems to help on some engines.

Bill Koustenis
Owner
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md
1971 Chevelle "Heavy Chevy" original owner

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Dec 31st, 05, 05:16 PM
Team Member
John

Here's the tool Bill mentioned - if you're just using a shaft without the lower collar that matches the machining on the distributor housing, you'll never build oil pressure in the lifter galleries - it just dumps back in the pan instead.

JohnZ
CRG

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Dec 31st, 05, 06:03 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
bl

ive got a shaft with a piece of hose over it that goes over the oil pump shaft to keep my drill shaft from coming off. I didn't realize that the oil would not build pressure in the lifter galleries without the proper tool. I checked my oil pressure guage while turning the shaft with my drill and it read 50psi give or take. So to do it right i need to get the proper tool right?
thanks
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Dec 31st, 05, 06:13 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Bill

Ya get the correct one, you can rent it free from autozone with a $30 deposit. I actually kept mine for the price of the deposit

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 1st, 06, 11:03 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
bl

Got me one this morning from autozone for $25, only thing is though, i went to put it on and the blade on the end is a little too big to go in my oil pump shaft slot, but since i'm going to keep it i'll probably put a little mod on the end. thanks fellows,
bl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode