Valve Covers Advice - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old Jan 1st, 06, 01:16 PM Thread Starter

Valve Covers Advice w/ pics

My 302 has black powder coated covers with the Chevrolet trim and I can't stand them. Rick's Generation has a sale on alum. covers right now. Part #EP-40 LH and #EP-41 RH. Do you think they would look good? These covers fit all 302 small blocks correct? Please look and give advice.

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c2...ALVECOVERS.jpg

Last edited by tarheeltime; Jan 3rd, 06 at 12:55 PM. Reason: spelling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old Jan 1st, 06, 02:50 PM
Senior Tech

Re: Valve Covers Advice

Yes they fit. My opinion is that they are the best looking valve covers you can buy. I have 5 sets ordered now.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 06, 11:28 AM
Senior Tech
Michael

I almost did what you are thinking about a few months ago. I have had a set of M/T alum valve covers on my engine for as long as I can remember, and they were looking pretty bad. I wanted to order the original finned alum Z/28 valve covers, but balked when I saw the pricetag. I heard about a metal polishing outfit in town so I took my M/T's there to see what they could do. The shop owner got a big smile on his face, told me to come back in 2 days and guaranteed I would be happy with the result. Well, I couldn't believe they were the same valve covers. They shine like glass and really dress up the engine, at a cost much less that what I would have spent for the others. I don't know if this scenario interests you at all, but I'm sure you can pick up M/T's on ebay for not alot of money and have them polished somewhere close by. I'm sure some here may warn you that M/T's leak oil onto their motor as I have heard the same, but I have never had problems with these sealing and have owned them for more than 25 years. If you are interested I can take a picture and post it here, let me know.

Garnet Van Nuys '69, 350/4 spd, deluxe int, endura, owned since 1979 - my first car

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 06, 11:37 AM

Smile Re: Valve Covers Advice

Fwiw, there are three different kind of valve covers for our motors.

The real early staggered bolt pattern;

The later, straight bolt pattern; and finally the

Vortec style center bolt pattern.

pdq67

post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 06, 06:43 PM
Senior Tech
Ross

Had my covers polished by a local guy and could not be happier. I think if you have a 302 there really is no other covers to use. These are the ones made just for 302's and you need to keep the tradition going.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 06, 06:57 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheeltime
My 302 has black powder coated covers with the Chevrolet trim and I can't stand them. Rick's Generation has a sale on alum. covers right now. Part #EP-40 LH and #EP-41 RH. Do you think they would look good? These covers fit all 302 small blocks correct? Please look and give advice.
I think they look great and would like to have a set. As far as them being on sale, it must be long term as that's the price in their printed 2006 catalog. Keep in mind roller rockers may not fit without thick gaskets or spacers.

Robert

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
355ci 10:1, 64cc Edelbrocks, Comp Mag 280H, Performer RPM, 700r4 (2000 stall), 3.55 posi A/C PS PDB Hotchkis

369ci 10.3:1, 64cc Edelbrocks, Voodoo 276/284, Performer RPM, Holley 650DP ...T56 Magnum, 3.73 Moser 12 bolt
TC member #18
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old Jan 3rd, 06, 12:30 PM Thread Starter

FDYY 37 Those look sweet. I can't remember if the ones from rick's are polished, although I know they are aluminum. I wonder how thick of a gasket to go with? I guess I'll measure what is currenting on now. I'll try to post a picture now.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old Jan 3rd, 06, 12:37 PM Thread Starter

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old Jan 3rd, 06, 12:42 PM
Team Member

You better count on having them polished locally.

I don't know what company polishes theses valve covers for GM, but they appear to employee blind, alcoholic monkees with Parkinson's Syndrome.
Seriously, they looked to have had the worst metal polishing job I have ever seen. The ends were over polished to the point of burnishing the metal, there was slag and slop all over both covers, and you can tell an attempt wan't even made at polishing the tops. VERY poor quality.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old Jan 3rd, 06, 12:59 PM Thread Starter

Markr,

any advice on getting finned alum covers from another supplier? You are refering to Rick's Generation covers, correct?
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old Jan 3rd, 06, 01:33 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

D&R lists 2 choices on the 302 valve cover, original GM @ $150 ea. http://www.drclassic.com/catalog/Cam...od/M00127.html

and "reproduction" @ $130 ea. http://www.drclassic.com/catalog/Cam.../M00128-R.html

For both, there are separate part #'s for LH & RH. both have a hole for a grommet (small -- 5/8") one side has a twist on oil filler hole.

I bought the repro's, they look exactly as pictured above, and came in polished like glass.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old Jan 3rd, 06, 02:57 PM
Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheeltime
Markr,

any advice on getting finned alum covers from another supplier? You are refering to Rick's Generation covers, correct?
I got mine from Classic Industries.
They are the OER ones GM produces (or farms out).
I don't know if the producer had a bad batch or if they are consistently this bad.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old Jan 3rd, 06, 03:04 PM
Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM
...I bought the repro's, they look exactly as pictured above, and came in polished like glass.
Wish I had done the same.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old Jan 3rd, 06, 03:21 PM
Senior Tech

These valve covers are still available at your local GM dealer for about $110.00 each. I'll bet when they are discontinued a set will bring $500.00. Everything else skyrockets the minute it is out of stock.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old Jan 3rd, 06, 03:38 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

From what I was told by the suppliers and people here before I bought mine 6 months ago, and from reading the posts above, this may be a case where the repros are better than the originals.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode