What to do about heads? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 1st, 06, 09:04 PM Thread Starter

What to do about heads?

I currently have an older set of the World S/R heads on my 302. They are from what I can tell just the "plain janes" with the smaller intake runners and the smaller valves. I am a looking for advice on whether I should have these heads worked over for the bigger valves with a port and polish job or do I just buy a new set of the World Sportsman II with the 200cc runners and the bigger valves? I also found this set but I don't know what the runner size is: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1

Any suggestions would be appreicated. The cam is the Comp Cams 286H. CR is at 10 to 1.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 1st, 06, 10:07 PM

Thumbs up Re: What to do about heads?

Please consider the cheap cast-iron AND aluminum heads Hotrodsusa are selling.

pdq67

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 3rd, 06, 07:44 AM
Senior Tech

Send a message via AIM to 1FASTZ Send a message via Yahoo to 1FASTZ
Re: What to do about heads?

Do your "plain jane" heads have 1.94" intake valves or 2.02"? I ask this because some of the aftermarket heads have 2.05" and the 2.02"s are relatively smaller these days. 2.02 would be fine if that's what you have.

I'm running AFR/190 cc on my 302 but I had originally bought these larger heads to put on a 383 or 400 which I'm now wrapping up. The little 302's don't require a whole lot of intake runner volume to make them run. If you plan on building something up in the future that would necessitate the 200 cc heads, I'd get them, otherwise, I think your heads would work good with 2.02" valves, but then you have to look at the cost of increasing the valve size because that's money that could be applied to your new heads that would already have the 2.02s in them.

Are you at 10:1 compression because your heads have 74-76cc combustion chambers or do you not have high compression dome pistons? If you do have dome pistons, you'll need to make sure that the newer combustion chambers have room for your piston domes. Just something to consider with many of todays redesigned chambers. Also, if you're at 10:1 with a 64 cc chamber then you should be fine with cast iron heads with respect to detonation.

Marty Lake
1969 Z/28 fathom green X77

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 3rd, 06, 08:53 AM Thread Starter

I pulled the heads yesterday and took them into the machine shop to be cleaned up and have some light porting work done. I found out that they do have the 2.02-1.60 valves. Now I am considering changing my cam. I know that what I have is a hydraulic flat tappet cam and it does have some nice lope but I am considering dropping in something with some more upper range power. I was considering the 30-30 hydraulic cam that Comp Cams has to offer but I was not ruling out the possiblity of going with a hydraulic roller either. Even still I have not ruled out going with a mechanical cam as well. I am just looking for some input on what would best suit my needs.

The heads are the 64cc chambers with the flat top pistons that have the four small valve reliefs. I am running the RPM Air Gap intake with the Edelbrock 650 AVS with 3.73's in the back.

My car is the weekend warrior type only with the car show stops and I want to take it up to the show and go at Branierd International Raceway and run it down the track. I have two other Camaro's that live near me and the competition has already started. (all in fun of course).

Any suggestions would be appreicated. I am not afriad of having to do valve adjustments as far as going with a mechanical cam since I would only be cruising on the nice weekends anyway. Thanks for the help.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 3rd, 06, 12:11 PM
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdq67
Please consider the cheap cast-iron AND aluminum heads Hotrodsusa are selling.

pdq67
Paul, can you provide a link please?
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 3rd, 06, 03:31 PM
Senior Tech

Send a message via AIM to 1FASTZ Send a message via Yahoo to 1FASTZ

68 RS 302 -

That's good news...it sounds like you actually have a pretty good set to start with.

I think your compression is on the low side if you start stepping up to some of the larger duration cams. Of course this is just my opinion. You could go ahead and try it out and it will probably still run okay, but just would not be tapping into as much of the potential power thats on the table.

As far as solid cams go...I like the Iskys. I'm going with the Isky Z-35 in my stroker that I'm building...check it out...I'd almost like to try it out in my 302.

Marty Lake
1969 Z/28 fathom green X77
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode