line boring a 350 stroker? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 06, 09:11 PM Thread Starter

Angry line boring a 350 stroker?

i have been waiting 2 years to build a tune port 383 5speed for my 87iroc was really disapointed tonite when i tore down the 95 350 motor i was to use. i took it out of my work truck with 180000mi on it with a knock i thought i had spun a rod but it is the front main that is bad. can this block still be used? i was planning on using this block with aftermarket 400 onepiece rear seal crank h rods flat top forge pistons very mild if not stock roller cam with longer push rods gm alum heads with a tune port system i got from a 87vett
hooked up to a 5speed i got from a 92camaro. with a 4.10gear with a locker has anyone built this before? if this is not enough i wouldnt mind a little nos but i dont want a total bottle baby also has anyone used a electric supercharger. keep in mine i have all the other goodies you could think of headers,msd,chip,underdrive pullys,air foil,duel electric fans,electric water pump etc.thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 06, 09:49 PM

Smile Re: line boring a 350 stroker?

You mean that your front main bearing spun and tore the main bearing block saddle up some??

I personally would look for a different block b/c of all the hassles you can get into getting a Shop to clean up the wear CORRECTLY, end to end and then using a shorter timing chain set.

But please ask a GOOD Machine Shop if it is worth line-honing it out to an undersized timing chain set first! AND the COST b/c you may just be able to pick up a bare core block cheaper!!!!!!!!!

pdq67

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 06, 10:27 PM Thread Starter

Re: line boring a 350 stroker?

thanks for the information i didnot know i would have to use a shorter timing kit! wonder if a gear drive would work? also do you know if they make a over sized bearing that will keep a stock crank grind to avoid this delima?

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 06, 10:59 PM

Iroc........you Can Only Sink The Crank In So Far.if It Has Chewed To Deep Into The Saddle You Might Be Ok.most Cases They Spin And People Still Seem To Drive Them Till The Knock Is Severe.grab An Older 2pc Seal Block...much Stronger Block And Change Flywheel
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 3rd, 06, 06:14 AM
Banned

We line bore and line hone alot of block for other engine shopes and buildrs and as far as cam tunnels in stock blocks they are all over the as the cam tunnel is roughed out and under size cam bearings are installed and is line bored with the cam bearings installed we did a block the other day and we cut the cam tunnel to BBC and the center to center distance was off .007 to start with it was closer to the crank and the rear was fine. And we buy a lot of new stock blocks from GM and they all come with cam bearing installed.

We have a fixture for blue print boring cam tunnels and from what I have seen as far as cam tunnel placement in the stock blocks on all the performance engines we build we take the time and correct the cam tunnel after the main line is done.

In most cases it only takes about .005 of the caps to clean most blocks up that have spun bearings and that only changes the the center to center distance .0025 in a perfect world which doesn't even require a under size chain. With all the blocks we have done we have not had to go to an under size chain so far.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 3rd, 06, 08:25 AM

Thumbs up Re: line boring a 350 stroker?

I think Carl has a plan for you.

pdq67

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode