Help Me Bump Up This Engine - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 06, 09:13 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Steven

Help Me Bump Up This Engine

My son was given an engine like the one described in the link here ...

http://www.chevy350engines.com/rgc8.html

The engine has approx 18K miles on it. It was in a 85 Monte Carlo for a couple of years before being swapped out for an LT1. The engine sat outside ( ports covered with duct tape ) for awhile, then was covered with several Hefty bags to protect it. There us a broken bolt in the end of the crank.

I want to freshen it up and use it in a 55 Bel-Air ... I NEED ADVICE !

What's the best route to get this puppy north of 300 HP? I currently have headers on the car, a Holley Street Dominator Manifold and Edelbrock 1406. I know I will need new intake ... What's a good cam ? The heads are stock. Any benefit to tweak ing them ? The block was not machined for a mechanical fuel pump, but I am leaning towards having it mechaned for the mechanical pump...

Thanks,
Steven
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 06, 09:55 PM

Thumbs up Re: Help Me Bump Up This Engine

Sure, 9.4 CR., GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A good old CC 268HE or 270 Magnum cam will do you nicely!

(BUT check your heads for lift and valve springs and and look up what I have posted in the past about what Gary Penn and Dirt Reynolds say about Vortec heads!!).....

As will a Vortec 4-barrel intake and a 600 to a 750 Holley and a cheap set of 1.625", 4-tube, long headers!!

Sucker will run VERY WELL for a STREET motor!!! NOTHING FANCY AT ALL HERE!!

pdq67

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 06, 10:34 PM

Re: Help Me Bump Up This Engine

good idea go with the vortech heads.it's best to change the valve springs howedver you'll have to get the guides machined to accept the springs or they will eventualy break.Personally i would stick with the xstream energy camshafts to keep cylinder pressure high...........www.hardcoreparts.ca

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 06, 10:57 PM
Senior Tech
Harley D

Take a look at the Wiend Stealth or Edelbrock performer RPM. Also Comp Cams XE-268H. These and a set of Hooker 2458 will get you where you're looking to be. As far as the fuel pump save your $$ and just get an electric pump. As for the heads if you want more look at some of the low cost aftermarket heads like World Products S/R Torquer heads, or GM Performance Vortec heads. Otherwise look at some of the mail order machine shops like Aerohead. http://www.aeroheadracing.com/id7.html You'll spend almost as much on reworking your stock heads as you will some of these, and in the case of the Vortec and World pieces you'll be way ahead in the airflow.

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."-Dr. Seuss
We learn life's important lessons in kindergarten.

Harley D
'67 coupe 427SBC
60'1.728
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1/[email protected]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 06, 11:00 PM
Senior Tech
Harley D

Quote:
Originally Posted by pro1
good idea go with the vortech heads.it's best to change the valve springs howedver you'll have to get the guides machined to accept the springs or they will eventualy break.Personally i would stick with the xstream energy camshafts to keep cylinder pressure high...........www.hardcoreparts.ca
I must type too slow. If you want the Vortec's order them from Summit or Scoggin Dickey. They sell'em already reworked at a real good price.

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."-Dr. Seuss
We learn life's important lessons in kindergarten.

Harley D
'67 coupe 427SBC
60'1.728
1/[email protected]

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 06, 07:17 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Steven

Re: Help Me Bump Up This Engine ( Revisted )

I have given this project to my son ( 21 yrs ... in school for ME degree ) and vote of confidence. We have taken the engine to a local builder who is going through the engine ... My son has selected the Comp Cam XR276HR .... Now I am all for bonding, but I would like an "outside" opinion about this. Scroll thru the thread to see a description of the engine. This is going into a 55 BelAir , 3:55 rear , Muncie M20, Headers .... It has a GM performance Intake and I have a Edelbrock 1406 as well as a 650 Holley DP ... Still, I am leaning towards a Q-Jet ... He is massaging the headsfor us, replacing hte valve springs, and the engine will be balanced ... I am just a street driver who like low-end torque and snappy responsiveness ... I don't hang out in the high RPM range ( not for long anyway ) ... So, Guys, please chime in ... Is this a good cam or is it too much cam ??? Thanks in advance ... Steven ... Oh, BTW, this will require an electric fuel pump ... We bought a carter pump from Summit which runs 7 psi ... Will I need a regulator and/or a return line at this psi
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 06, 06:18 PM

Smile Re: Help Me Bump Up This Engine

Imho, I would try to get the motor up to as close to 10 to 1 as I could to run that hy-roller!

And I am not a hy-roller or a solid roller cam guy so I personally would use a good old CC 282S solid and not worry about all the extra, hard-earned hp you will have to work for to do better than it for just a street motor!!

pdq67

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode