March Serpentine system - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Jan 3rd, 06, 01:00 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

March Serpentine system

I am looking at putting the March serpentine system on my 396. The conversion kit I am considering is the mch-23020 (performance) or mch-23050 (higher water flow). Difference being in pulley sizes and probably a couple of bucks. Part of me leans to the extra power, which might be minimal, and the other leans to keeping the car running cooler (not sure what that difference is). I also have checked out the pulleys (mch-7630 w/616 p/s for performance) or (7330 w/623 p/s for higher flow) themselves and the savings is about 200 bucks less as the brackets are not included. Has anyone, I am sure there are, done this conversion and are content with the results.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 06, 08:00 PM
Senior Tech
Marc

Re: March Serpentine system

If I were making a change like you I would lean towards having the motor run cooler. I looks bad having a boilover or a break down with a cool ride. You can always find little things to change to add a few hp later.

Marc

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

67 Camaro, 454, TH400, 9" 4.11's
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 06, 08:31 PM
Senior Tech

Evaluations I've seen on Performance ratio pulleys show the power gain is minimal and normally peaks way up high in the RPM range (over 6000) which most mild big blocks don't see that often without floating the valves.

Tim

Meanchicken
68 SS
ZZ502; TKO-600; 3:73 Moser 12-bolt w/Detroit TruTrak; SSBC Force 10 4 wheel power disks;QA1 Coil Overs; Global West Tubulars;GNX Quick Ratio 12:1 PS; Hotchkis Front Sway Bar
87 Buick Grand National (does 10's)

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 06, 08:46 PM
Senior Tech

Forgot to mention...I'm running the March 20570 Serpentine system on my 396. In spite of my comments above, it is the performance ratio.....I figured what the heck. I'm installing a Be Cool radiator and will use my current Flexalite fan.
I like it a lot... and will be moving it to my ZZ502 currently sitting in my garage waiting for the rest of my drive train to show up for a swap out in my 68. Although my driving has been limited to short jaunts around town, I have not experienced any overheating issues with the 396, the electric fan a standard BB radiator and this pulley set-up.
Tim

Meanchicken
68 SS
ZZ502; TKO-600; 3:73 Moser 12-bolt w/Detroit TruTrak; SSBC Force 10 4 wheel power disks;QA1 Coil Overs; Global West Tubulars;GNX Quick Ratio 12:1 PS; Hotchkis Front Sway Bar
87 Buick Grand National (does 10's)
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 06, 04:43 PM

I got the March Serpentine performance set up on the 69 Chevelle 502/502 with Griffin Rad and Electric fan no overheating at all stays at 180 even during summer and running a 3500 stall convertor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode