Camshaft specs help - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 3rd, 06, 07:03 PM Thread Starter

Question Camshaft specs help

I was just going through some old shelves of parts. I came across a brand new General Kinetics' cam for a Big Block Chevy. I do not have the cam card (The end of the box is torn off, guess it fell out at some time. ) and I would really like to know what exactly it is.
Here is what I know about it:
It says Holley Part# C2M-294-R on the end of the box that was torn off.
The numbers on the end of the cam are 965703. If I remember correctly this cam was suppose to be a solid flat tappet cam with roughly .550ish lift and I think it was around 230dur @ .050 .

I also found a used Small Block Cam in a box that I know it did not come in. I think this cam was given to me in trade. It has a mark like /74 then under that it has 222430. If I'm not mistaken this is a hyd cam and it had a healthy lope in a 350ci engine.

As I stated I don't know for sure anything except the numbers on the box for the BBC cam and the SBC I am 98% sure these #s are exactly what is on the cam. Any Ideas?

Thanks
Steve

I added the number off the end of the BBC cam. Maybe this will help

Last edited by TexasPerfProd; Jan 4th, 06 at 12:09 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 06, 10:33 PM Thread Starter

Re: Camshaft specs help

33 views and no responses ... I just knew you guys would bail me out here. Oh well maybe we can have a contest to see how many views we can get and not find someone who knows the answer. LOL
Seriously though thanks for looking.
Steve
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 06, 04:56 PM

Question Re: Camshaft specs help

I'm into older cams big-time and I don't recognize those numbers right off the top of my head?

Sorry,

pdq67

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 06, 05:49 PM
Senior Tech
Dave

Unhappy Re: "General Kinetics" camshaft

A quick Google search reveals 'General Kinetics' camshaft grinders went out of business after selling every fifth Chevy owner a cam without a cam card. No one seems to know if they snuck off in the middle of the night catching the last boat to Terra del Fuego; or were bought out by some other company (for example Edelbrock) that needed a cam grinder to complete their suite of businesses.

Read through (not really just glanced to get the gist of posts) 23 pages of "help I've got an old cam and I don't know what it is." requests for help. Unfortuneatly the majority of posts in response were themselves pleas for help as no one knows what the specs are on old cams, but apparently everyone once upon a time removed their 'General Kinetics' camshaft for a better one.

Larger Dave (former Know it all)
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 06, 06:01 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Re: "General Kinetics" camshaft

I took a G-K cam out of my 327 last year, on the back it had a "grind" number, very recognizeable, cointained "292" and "112", pdq was able to id it, anything like that on yours?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 06, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasPerfProd
exactly what is on the cam. Any Ideas?

Degree the intake, and the exhuast, that will give you you # @.50 and you can get intake center line as well as exhaust centerline to find out you lobe centers plus you get the lift# as well, no real easy way out, just a little home work involved
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 06, 07:19 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
I took a G-K cam out of my 327 last year, on the back it had a "grind" number, very recognizeable, cointained "292" and "112", pdq was able to id it, anything like that on yours?
Well the numbers on the end of the GK cam are 965703. But other than that just this on the end of the box.. Holley Part# C2M-294-R.
Quote:
Degree the intake, and the exhuast, that will give you you # @.50 and you can get intake center line as well as exhaust centerline to find out you lobe centers plus you get the lift# as well, no real easy way out, just a little home work involved
Thank you for trying fellas. I really didn't want to do all the math if it could be avoided. I really thought pdq67 would rescue me on this one. I was thinking of listing it on EBAY if I had some #s for it. I don't think it would really be worth the listing or doing the math as cams similar to this can be purchased for $50.00.

Thanks Again
Steve
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 06, 04:45 PM

Smile Re: Camshaft specs help

Steve,

Sorry, I don't have all that much G/K BB cam info.

And I do want to say that back in their day, G/K cams were NOT generic cams, but rather very good old-school designs, imho.

They list two SB cams in particular, one, the C1H-270-S, 270/216, 110/?, .454" lift and the other, the C1H-290-S, 290/218, 114/?, .450" lift.

They illustrate wide and narrow LCA theory from back in the early '80's (and I figure earlier). I contacted them and asked what the difference is between them, and I still have a short note back from them explaining that it would take a whole lot longer note to expain the theory behind why they look the same, but will operate so differently.

pdq67

PS., I got my G/K info from the now, long gone Hollywood Sams Auto Parts, Inc., in Detriot, MI.... I first bought the 290 cam and ended up taking it back and getting the 270 one later.. It's in my Nephew's 327 motor that I gave him..

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 06, 06:12 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Turd Fergeson

General Kinetics cams nomenclature=

C.=Chevrolet
M= Mechanical
2= Big block
294= Advertised Intake duration with 1.70:1 ratio rocker
a-z letter suffix= modification of original design. More exh dur., changed centerline, changed exh pattern, etc. EXCEPT the "R" series of "Redline" cams. These were "White box" mass produced street cams that you can still buy under a dozen different brand names.

So if you have a C2M294R General Kinetics cam. You have a Big Block Chevrolet, solid lifter cam with 294 advertised duration, Redline series.

1968 British Racing Green Crossram Camaro Z/28
Double Trouble

2016 Black Corvette Z06/Z07
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 06, 08:58 PM Thread Starter

Man you were dead on until you got to the color of the box. Unless I have misunderstood you. This is exactly what is on the DARK BLUE box with RED GK writing on it. Holley Part# C2M-294-R I did notice that under the label I can see there was another label all I can read is 294 though and it wont separate (I tried). Also someone has wrote a 70 with what looks like a sharpie on the edge of the label. Thanks Mike I appreciate it.
Quote:
And I do want to say that back in their day, G/K cams were NOT generic cams, but rather very good old-school designs, imho.
I agree I had one in my 69 Pontiac Firebird man that was a stout 400 motor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZMike
General Kinetics cams nomenclature=

C.=Chevrolet
M= Mechanical
2= Big block
294= Advertised Intake duration with 1.70:1 ratio rocker
a-z letter suffix= modification of original design. More exh dur., changed centerline, changed exh pattern, etc. EXCEPT the "R" series of "Redline" cams. These were "White box" mass produced street cams that you can still buy under a dozen different brand names.

So if you have a C2M294R General Kinetics cam. You have a Big Block Chevrolet, solid lifter cam with 294 advertised duration, Redline series.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 06, 09:01 PM

Question Re: Camshaft specs help

ZZMike,

Do you by chance have G/K SB and BB hy- and solid lifter cam spec's lists?

I'd sure like to have them for my old cams files besides what I do have now from Hollywood Sams.

pdq67

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 06, 01:06 AM
Senior Tech

Any idea what time frame they are from? I've got pretty much every hot rod mag dating back to the 50's, and a bunch of old catalogs back to the mid 1980's. No g/k stuff specifically, but I might be able to find an old ad in somewhere.

"This is not a cheerocracy...I make the cheercisions around here"
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 06, 11:42 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Turd Fergeson

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdq67
ZZMike,

Do you by chance have G/K SB and BB hy- and solid lifter cam spec's lists?

I'd sure like to have them for my old cams files besides what I do have now from Hollywood Sams.

pdq67
Let me look around and see, that is going back aways and I may have tossed all of that stuff after they merged with Lunati.

1968 British Racing Green Crossram Camaro Z/28
Double Trouble

2016 Black Corvette Z06/Z07
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 06, 12:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis
Any idea what time frame they are from? I've got pretty much every hot rod mag dating back to the 50's, and a bunch of old catalogs back to the mid 1980's. No g/k stuff specifically, but I might be able to find an old ad in somewhere.
Trravis man I really have no Idea ... late 70s early 80s is a guess.
Thanks
again
Steve
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 06, 02:09 PM
Senior Tech
Dave

It was not my intention to bad mouth General Kinetics Cams. And I apologize to any one who took it that way. I was attempting to illustrate that General Kinetics are sitting on shelves instead of being installed in cars.

Since Chevy never installed a General Kinetics cam I am assuming someone else did. Secondarily it can be further inferred that they found another cam that they thought performed better. Otherwise the General Kinetics cam found on the shelf wouldn't have been sitting on the shelf to be discovered now. (Elementary my dear Watson, though what Sherlock Holmes' ability to run has to do with this conversation I will never know.)

There have been two major design improvements in the SBC since the sixties. Heads have been dramatically improved in terms of flow and combustion chamber design. The single most significant improvement has been made in cam shaft design. Now I freely admit that I am a pack rat. I have several rusty old Crane and Comp cams stacked like cord wood in the corner of my garage.

I don't ever intend to reuse any of them in a car (lifters are long gone) and the only reason they are still there is I haven't thought of a good use for them yet (they are too long for coffee table legs, and too short for bar stool legs). Aside from scrap they have only sentimental value as milestones in the ever evolving improvement in sixty foot times or trap speeds.

Had someone shown up on my doorstep in a timely fashion I would have given them the old bump stick had they demonstrated a need for it. That would have suited my scotch nature more than watching them rust away as I do favor recycling (Especially if I know that the combo they have isn't a challenge to my set up: and knowing their cam is a definite plus from a tactical point of view.)

Anyway I am sure General Kinetics made great products once upon a time, and am sorry I couldn't shed any more light on the subject. I do have old Crane, Crower, and Comp cam catalogs that I use for reference from time to time.

Larger Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode