cleaning the gunk off an aluminum intake - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 06, 12:39 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Bryan Hall

cleaning the gunk off an aluminum intake

i have 2 intakes that i am tryin to sell and they need to be cleaned. they have a few years of crap on them and am trying to make them as good as i can to sell. i didnt know where else to post this topic , but can any of yall lend me a hand on what i can do this with. thanks. i have tried oven cleaner, de greaser and rim cleaner and nothing really cuts down the stuff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 06, 12:41 PM
Senior Tech
Al

Re: cleaning the gunk off an aluminum intake

Try Eagle-1 self etching mag wheel cleaner. Works pretty well as far as cleaning, but doesn't bring back the original luster.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 06, 01:41 PM
Senior Tech
Tony

Lightly blast them with a small nozzle sand blaster. Key word- lightly.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 06, 01:56 PM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G

Media blast and if still stained you can paint with VHT 1200* aluminum like I did.
click the pic.

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 06, 05:26 PM
Senior Tech
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUG G
Media blast and if still stained you can paint with VHT 1200* aluminum like I did.
click the pic.
How long will that paint last?

-

Dave F. in Rhode Island
'68 Camaro SS Accel DFI 454 (SOLD - I'm a boring Corvette owner now)
Bought my first big-block Chevy in 1970
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 06, 05:37 PM
Senior Tech
67 Camaros Rock

Thumbs up Re: cleaning the gunk off an aluminum intake

I have found undiluted castrol superclean to work good. Spray a good coating on it, let it sit and rinse. Repeat a few times. This stuff cleaned paint off my intake, not all the paint mind you. Might want to spray with high pressure from the car wash. Final cleaing can be done with a Texas tooth brush and brake cleaner. In our neck of the woods, berrymans in the 1 gallon can is still available. USE HAND AND EYE PROTECTION WHEN USING THIS STUFF.

Joe

"If you can leave black marks on a straight from the time you exit a corner till the time you brake for the next turn.......
Then, you have enough horsepower."
-Mark Donahue
My 67 Camaro Time Line
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 06, 05:57 PM
Senior Tech
Brett

DO NOT USE ALUMINUM PAINT!!! It looks like crap. Blast them and use plasti-cote high temp clear and it will look good for years.

Brett
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 06, 07:51 PM

Don't laugh to hard but that cheap yellow can of oven cleaner from the Dollar Store works pretty darn good. I noticed the stuff with the skull and crossbones on it with all the warning signs is the best. Cleaning works best on a warm dry manifold. Then wash it repeatedly and throughly. I'm not positive but I'm pretty sure it will eat aluminum if you don't get it off. Be careful it will burn if it gets in your eyes.
One last note don't let it get on the paint of anything you like the paint on.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 06, 08:32 PM
Senior Tech
Harley D

If the chemicals don't cut it on there own try steel wool or a wire wheel on a drill. (use caution with the wire wheel) Otherwise take them in to get glass beaded. Just make sure you tape off the machined surfaces.

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."-Dr. Seuss
We learn life's important lessons in kindergarten.

Harley D
'67 coupe 427SBC
60'1.728
1/[email protected]

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 06, 08:36 AM
Senior Tech

Most of the cleaning chemicals (especially castrol superclean) makes aluminum look like crap. There is, IMO, only 1 way to clean an intake manifold right. Do NOT sand blast it! Take it to a metal plating shop (for example) and have it glass oxide blasted...not glass beaded, but glass oxide blasted. This stuff is a real fine glass powder with the consistancy of salt...its very fine and it makes an aluminum intake look like it just came out of the box. They can also degrease it first with a "vapor degreaser". I can't remember the exact name of the stuff we used to use in the aircraft plating shop I worked in, but it creates a vapor at about 190* and cleans grease better than anythign I have ever seen. Follow that up with the glass oxide, then paint with a high temp clear coat, and it will look like new for years.

"This is not a cheerocracy...I make the cheercisions around here"
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 06, 12:37 PM
Senior Tech
67 Camaros Rock

ummm........Super clean never did a bad thing for old aluminum parts I have cleaned. The easyoff stuff work well also.

Now if you want to talk blasting, take it someplace that does Soda Blasting. Soda blasting is Baking Soda and has the consistancy of salt and only goes through the gun once then is vacumed into a canister and not reused. We use this on Aero Space hardware everyday. It will not deform parts, is safe on plastics and fiberglass and leave parts very clean. now you just have to find a place that does it. The blasters cost about 10K for the one we have, I have seen them for 3 to 4k, so smaller shops might have something? You might try contacting Safety Clean Inc also.

Joe

"If you can leave black marks on a straight from the time you exit a corner till the time you brake for the next turn.......
Then, you have enough horsepower."
-Mark Donahue
My 67 Camaro Time Line
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 06, 01:19 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Bryan Hall

well i didnt want to spend alot on something i was selling for cheap. the oven cleaner worked a little but didnt get it all. i tried the eagle one wheel cleaner that did a little better but a chemistry teacher at school here told me to get some phosporic acid and spray it on there ..let it sit the was it off with alot of tide. the acid cleaned it but without the tide the acid would leave the aluminum chalky. so the tide jsut put back some oil into the metal...looks pretty darn good to me and looked cool seing that stuff fizz off the metal. problem sloved
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 06, 01:52 PM
Senior Tech

Oven cleaner doesn't seem as harsh, but I used castrol superclean (which I absolutely love by the way) on a weiand 8004 and it turned a dark, nasty blotchy grey. Nothing would clean it up after that.
A soda blaster is another option, althoug the one we used in the plating shop was a wet soda blaster. I used it to clean metal down to the pores for hard chroming.

"This is not a cheerocracy...I make the cheercisions around here"
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 06, 04:30 PM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G

Quote:
Originally Posted by gm torch red
DO NOT USE ALUMINUM PAINT!!! It looks like crap. Blast them and use plasti-cote high temp clear and it will look good for years.
Really ? mine looks almost like it has that finish that Edelbrock offers now. My intake was stained and media balsting didn't remove it all...I didn't want to go too far.

So it was painted... only been a few months now.
click the pic.

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 06, 04:46 PM
Senior Tech

well, if I was trying to buy a used intake, i'd be looking for one that still has some crud on it- not because it's cheaper, but because you can tell if the seller is trying to hide anything.
i also prefer the cars old cars i buy to have a nice layer of grease on the engine and undercarriage, for the same reason.
but, hey, that's just me.

you don't plan sincerity.
you have to make it up on the spot.

wanna hear about 20 years ago when i was too smart to know any better?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode