hose coverings - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 06, 11:15 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

hose coverings

Anyone try or have the stainless hose cover kits? how do they look? are they any good?

69 Camaro RS 396bbc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 06, 11:49 PM
Senior Tech
Harley D

Re: hose coverings

Every one I've seen look like crap. There always stretched, twisted, and snagged. They never look good. Save your money and get a quality true braided hose. I'm sorry if I offend anyone, but I can't stand those cheesy sleeves.

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."-Dr. Seuss
We learn life's important lessons in kindergarten.

Harley D
'67 coupe 427SBC
60'1.728
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1/[email protected]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 06, 04:18 AM
Senior Tech

oh, come on now. take the frayed, stained hose coverings with those oh-so-trick looking blue and red hose clamp covers and throw in some tall gold Moroso valve covers with the tall valve cover bolts, and it's like being stuck in a 70's/80's street machine timewarp.
it's no worse and no better than the neon blue vacuum hoses and wire looms under the hoods of all the "tunerz" out there.

you don't plan sincerity.
you have to make it up on the spot.

wanna hear about 20 years ago when i was too smart to know any better?

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 06, 07:47 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

I thought briflu about the hose covers, but dedcided they are yucky, ditto on the "clamp covers"
I used braided hose from Sceptre and compression fittings from Py-Thon. They look just like real braid, cause they are, but fit on the tube fittings for the heater hoses and fuel line. Cost was about $50 per hose.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 06, 09:09 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

thanks guys i thought they would look bad but wanted to be sure

69 Camaro RS 396bbc
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 06, 10:12 AM
Senior Tech
Harley D

Quote:
Originally Posted by novaderrik
oh, come on now. take the frayed, stained hose coverings with those oh-so-trick looking blue and red hose clamp covers and throw in some tall gold Moroso valve covers with the tall valve cover bolts, and it's like being stuck in a 70's/80's street machine timewarp.
it's no worse and no better than the neon blue vacuum hoses and wire looms under the hoods of all the "tunerz" out there.
That's not saying much. Most of that tunner crap is for show , and it still looks bad.

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."-Dr. Seuss

Harley D
'67 coupe 427SBC
60'1.728
1/[email protected]

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 06, 02:22 PM
Senior Tech
Dave

Talking Re: hose coverings

Oh come on, how do you really feel about bling?

I personally favor silicone hose. I just wish I could get it in Chevy Orange instead of Ford Blue (GoodYear lifetime premium silicone hose). The 9C1 Chevy Impala I have has a green color but I was told that that color is reserved for GM only, and I can't have any.

Larger Dave
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 06, 09:16 PM
Senior Tech
Harley D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larger Dave
Oh come on, how do you really feel about bling?

I personally favor silicone hose. I just wish I could get it in Chevy Orange instead of Ford Blue (GoodYear lifetime premium silicone hose). The 9C1 Chevy Impala I have has a green color but I was told that that color is reserved for GM only, and I can't have any.

Larger Dave
Actually I just ordered some braided hose and black AN fittings from Jeg's. I need to work a new filter and regulator between my pump and the carb. I still have plenty of hard line from the rest of the fuel system. The hard lines are cool and look clean, but I'm being lazy and finally giving in to peer pressure. Personally I prefer the no nonsense look of black Aeroquip AQP socketless hose with nickel ends. http://store.summitracing.com/largei...rt=AER-FCN0620
http://store.summitracing.com/defaul...2&autoview=sku
Although most of my friends have been pushing me for years to put braided hose on.

Harley D
'67 coupe 427SBC
60'1.728
1/[email protected]

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 06, 12:24 PM
Senior Tech
John

OK, I'll admit it... I have them on my '68.

I bought the kit from Summit... I think it was the Spectre brand. Anyway, these can look good if they are installed properly. When you do not install them properly, they get snagged and stretched and look like crap...

To install these to look good, the trick is to first stretch out the braiding to fit your hose PRIOR to trying to put it on the hose. I did this by using wooden dowels of various diameters and sanded the end round. Insert the dowel into the braid to get it stretched out without snags.

Then, take the hose you wish to cover with the braid... take some electrical tape and wrap it around the end of the hose (to soften any sharp edges). Gently and slowly slide on the braid.

Now, pull the braid just tight enough (lengthwise on hose) so that it fits snug, but not so tight that the hose is showing through the braid. Wrap the ends of the braid in electrical tape right at the end of the hose (so that the braid won't fray when you cut it). Cut the braid, slip on your hose clamp and you're done.

Yeah, they're cheap and kind of cheesy... but if you want to do it right, that is how you do it.

John

- '68 Chevy Camaro (sort of done, but always subject to improvement)
- '63 Pontiac Tempest (work in progress)
- '72 Datsun 240-Z (back-burner for now)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode