prime oil pump/engine - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 06, 08:26 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
vince

prime oil pump/engine

I have another basic question about my engine concerning oil priming. I used a drill to spin the oil pump and i noticed that oil is pumped into all the lifters on the drivers side but not the passenger side. ( I can see the oil well up into the top of the lifter). I have roller lifters so they can only be installed in the block so the side oil hole is facing either front or back. I put them all so the hole is facing to the rear since the oil looks to pump through the engine from the rear. My question is do i have a blockage somewhere preventing oil to the passenger side lifters?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 06, 08:55 AM
Senior Tech

Re: prime oil pump/engine

How did you hook the drill to the oil pump? If you didn't use an old distributor body or one of the many priming tools, you will experience a lack of oil on one side.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 06, 09:05 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
vince

i used a moroso oil prime shaft. attach to drill and then into oil pump notch. I kind of lean shaft out of the way since oil is shooting right at the prime shaft.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 06, 09:44 AM
Team Member

I seems you are missing a part of the priming tool. it should not be spraying oil at you. Your priming tool should have a sleeve that fits into the distributor bore, it has a groove that will direct oil to the lifters and not allow the oil up the primer shaft.
TTFN
Mat

SSCARGO
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 06, 09:52 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
vince

I seem to have wasted $14 on the oil prime tool. I actually ordered the correct one that was on back order so i went with the moroso item that only consists of a shaft. I did a search and found a thread that described my problem. It also mentioned that Autozone rents the correct tool. I just got it. I'm sure i'll be ok now. thanks.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 06, 02:30 PM
Senior Tech
Dave

Priming the engine is good. Question that crosses my mind is did you soak lifters in oil for at least 24 hours prior to instalation and priming engine. They will suck up a lot of oil that won't be going to lubricate bearings. Worrse yet with air entraped in lifter bodies you get next to zip for oil pressure past the first lifter body as air (unlike hydraulic fluids like oil) is compressable, so their isn't any pressure to force oil down to the journals. (another good reason for feeding mains first and lifters last with priority oiling)

Larger Dave (retired nit picker)
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 06, 07:47 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
vince

Dave, I did prime the lifters. I Used a syringe with tubing on the end and primed through the side whole till oil appeared through the top. I got the engine running yesterday. I have some adjustments to work out after the battery is charged up. i noticed a "tick" as it was running and i also had to advance the distributor a whole lot (turn ccw) to get it to start and run. I plan to do running adjustment to valves today to see if i can get it right.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode