oil pressure/filter problem. - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 06, 08:38 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Question oil pressure/filter problem.

Hey Guys,
I made a post last week about a car I purchased last week up in Pa. Its a 69 rally-sport with a 327. Changed oil and filter prior to starting engine that had been sitting for 18 years, After cleaning carb, changing all fluids car started very easily and run at idle for 3 hours with no problems, All of the sudden the oil filter gasket blew out and oil sprayed everywere. changed oil filter to a fram PH-5 and refilled crank case with oil and car ran again, drove to gas station and got fresh fuel and drove back, no problem. Next morning started car to load on trailer and it started spraying oil out the filter gasket again?? Looked close at oil filter (fram PH-5) and it was balloned out. filter canister was growing in outside diameter, but seal blew first.
I am heading over to the garage now to work on her, I was planing on dropping the pan and tearing apart the oil pump to inpect the valve inside, but what about the bypass that the filter screws onto? any ideas on this situation? Thanks again, Chuck

Have you hugged your kids today?? Tell them you love them also..
Heaven got a little sweeter. We miss you Mandy..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 06, 08:46 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

Re: oil pressure/filter problem.

my guess is the issue I have been squeaking about plugging the oil filter bypass. This may not be your case but I feel it may need to be checked. Pull the filter and look at the bypass port on the adapter. Better yet , pull it off and check to see if its not stuck or even plugged. This will usually happen when oil viscosity is low. Check it out...Dont think there is a problem with your filters,, but your description of trouble.

Don
TC # 349
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E Owner since Dec 1968

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 06, 08:51 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

You might just screw on a napa / wix filter and fire it up again, see what happens?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 06, 09:45 AM
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM
You might just screw on a napa / wix filter and fire it up again, see what happens?
Ditto on the Wix. There was an oil filter test posted that had the Fram rated way low. I used to use Fram until I read the test results and now use Wix. It would be an easy and inexpensive test for you to try. Hopefully you will post your results.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 06, 09:46 AM
Senior Tech
chris

how much oil pressure are you showing? if block is operating within range then your problem is in the bypass.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 06, 10:05 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Is the wix filter number 51069?
Not sure on the oil pressure, it only has the idiot light, When I get there I will be installing an external mech. gauge so I can monitor what is going on.

Have you hugged your kids today?? Tell them you love them also..
Heaven got a little sweeter. We miss you Mandy..
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 06, 10:29 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

I've recently done some learning on the bypass. It respond to pressure drop across the filter. A new filter should have minimal pressure drop. Try a different filter. It's a standard chevy short filter, don't know the number tho.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 06, 12:04 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

I have not heard anyone say at what point does the by pass opens and what flow rate or pressure is needed for it to remain closed? My guess that most of the performance engines with all the good hi flow / pressure pumps, have the stock oil filter adapter port open or partially open much of the time? Correct me here some one . But I would guess that at normal idle psi of say 20 - 30 psi the bypass is closed? Anyone know what is " normal" for us wet sump users?

Don
TC # 349
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E Owner since Dec 1968

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 06, 03:52 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Don, the bypass is "across" the inlet and outlet of the filter. It does not see the engines full oil pressure, only the pressure dropped inside the filter. I have no idea what the actual rating is, but say a normal clean filter drops the pressure 5 psi... that is, an oil pressure guage connected between the pump and the filter would read 5 psi more than the guage connected after the filter. The bypass is closed.

Lets say the filter gets old and tries to plug. The pressure drop is now, what, 15 psi? The bypass will open and allow the oil to flow around the filter. If it didn't open, the engine may not get ANY oil.

but we always change our filters often, and that could never happen to us, right?

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 06, 04:00 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

lBecause we change our filters, Right? True, but for others ,, thats why the bypass exists, so the engine does get its lube. There are some rupture holes in the area around the threaded hole,,, I have been told that some are rubber and some are metal... They also are supposed to serve the same purpose? But I have never seen this case. Even on a Ford.

Still waiting on ChuckL to bring us up to date on his findings.

Don
TC # 349

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 06, 04:02 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

even if one of us "forgets" to change oil and filter... with the bypass we wouldn't know we forgot. Without it, the oil pressure guage will fall as the filter plugs. We'll know the engine isn't getting oil.

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 06, 08:04 AM
Team Member

If using a better filter doesn't solve the problem, and when you get the gage installed. I suspect you will find high oil pressure, I'm guessing the pressure relief valve that is part of the the pump might be stuck from sitting. Maybe running a while will free it up. keep an eye on it if it sticks open you will lose all oil pressure.
It seems that the filter is blowing from excessive pressure, especially at cold start when oil is thickest.

TTFN
Mat

SSCARGO
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 06, 08:37 AM
Senior Tech

I have used PH5s in motors that had a normal pressure of 80lbs. I know it's not the worlds greatest filter but thats not the problem. Your pump relief valve is sticking and needs to be fixed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode